Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the car with everything already done to it so i have no clue how many miles are on the setup but from all the research it seems as though everything was put on the car a long time ago and everything is an old style of what is out now.

.50 trim turbonetics turbo (been rebuilt recently)
Turbonetics Evolution wastegate different from what is out now
AGP race FMIC
Manual boost controller.
Full exhaust 3"
The wastegate dumps straight down under the passenger floorboard.

The problem is boost control.
When I roll into the throttle it hits an initial setting then the needle starts to flutter about 3-4 psi slightly above what the initial setting was then near redline it smooths out to about 4-5 psi above the initial setting.
7 psi without any boost controller (straight to the wastegate) ends up around 12psi
15 psi initial will usually end up around 19 psi at redline.

Does this sound like the wastegate is plain worn out.
Obviously its not seized but when I took it off to look at it, it seems sloppy and when actuating it the seat almost drops into place slightly off center from where it initially drops if that makes any sense. Like the valve is meant to be a floating valve so it has a nice seal.

i have never worked with external wastegates like this so I have nothing to reference off of.

I have a video of it but dont know what people use to host that stuff anymore. I cant remeber what I even used in high school for hosting my pictures online.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
what kind of manifold are you using?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Boost leak test the car. Usually a needle that shakes like that is a boost leak. I too have a 50 trim but with an old style TIAL WG with 19psi worth of springs and a AGP log manifold.

What are you tuning it with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one small leak at the throttle body but cannot find any other ones.
I have a replacement TB to install soon.

I think I narrowed it down to the wastegate though.
I installed a cheap ebay unit and it seems to almost completely gone away.

It is running a Intune 3, I cannot remember if its on the base 93 tune or the dyno tune from a "local" shop.

I have been just fixing all the worn out stuff to maintain it as it is and want to get a re tune once I get a bigger fuel pump and injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts