Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on i-club and there is a turbo xs rep that posts there and he was saying that they are really excited about getting the SRT-4, They are going to have a Computer, turbo upgrades etc.. etc.. Thinks that the SRT-4 will respond better to Mods than the WRX, because of the 2.0 vs. the 2.4 and things like that. Check out the site for turbo xs, all the upgrades the WRX has the SRT-4 will have too!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
the wrx doesnt take very well to tuning for some reason. stage 4 only gets to 280hp at the wheels. i guess its the aluminum block and lack of forged internals. the srt-4 has forged internals, better tranny, better clutch. once i get mine and dump about $6000 there wont be much that will keep up. then its on to taking out the supras.
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The SRT-4 Does not have forged internals. They are very beefy, and some components were designed specifically for boosted applications, but they are not forged.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
the pistons, crank, and rods are.


"The SRT-4's 2.4 liter engine is equipped with heavy-duty hypereutectic forged steel connecting rods. "

this is from the dodge chat on their homepage. they also talk about the pistons and crank elswhere being forged. i will try to find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
the wrx doesnt take very well to tuning for some reason. stage 4 only gets to 280hp at the wheels. i guess its the aluminum block and lack of forged internals. the srt-4 has forged internals, better tranny, better clutch. once i get mine and dump about $6000 there wont be much that will keep up. then its on to taking out the supras.
I am the Turboxs Rep in question. We are VERY excited to be working with the new Neon. This car looks to have huge potential. We'll be supporting the Neon every bit as much as the WRX.

As for the WRX not taking well to tuning; remember that you are dealing with a stock car that makes all of 168hp on our AWD dyno. The drive train loss on a WRX is pretty large. A stage 4 WRX will run mid 12s at around 108-109mph. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Our intension is to give you guys some real solid upgrades that will pay off when it comes time to go racing. The WRX guys may have a head start on you for now, but we’ll help make up the difference pretty quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the board, glad to see someone hear who is going to be involved with making this car "better" Let me make sure I understood you right from neons.org you say that XS already has a SRT-4 turbo unit at the shop? anyway once again welcome, and I look forward to reading your posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
iwntasrt-4 said:
Welcome to the board, glad to see someone hear who is going to be involved with making this car "better" Let me make sure I understood you right from neons.org you say that XS already has a SRT-4 turbo unit at the shop? anyway once again welcome, and I look forward to reading your posts.

I have the turbo assembly sitting on a bench in front of me. Our replacement unit that will let you bolt on Garrett GT turbochargers is top priority right not with our programmable ECU being a very close second.


-Nathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time...

How long would you guess a turbo upgrade and computer will take you to build and get on the market?
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
the pistons, crank, and rods are.


"The SRT-4's 2.4 liter engine is equipped with heavy-duty hypereutectic forged steel connecting rods. "

this is from the dodge chat on their homepage. they also talk about the pistons and crank elswhere being forged. i will try to find it.
Trust me, they are not forged.

Also, hypereutectic and forged are different things....

That would be like saying you have an aluminum stainless steel header.

Please point me to the URL that has said the above so I can correct them.

BTW, nmyeti, this is John with the Supra from Alamo, whats up man :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Hey John,
It's been a long time. Funny i move to the other side of the country, and end up bumping into you guys. The neon is going to be a cool little car. I can't wait to get our shop car here.

I trust all is well with you guys back in the land of enchantment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
heh i just got word from my friend that went to some mall here closeby that they have an srt on display :D guess im going to the mall
 
E

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
nmyeti said:
Hey John,
It's been a long time. Funny i move to the other side of the country, and end up bumping into you guys.
Hahah yah.... weird :)

Grant took over the Roswell track and he has been doing an excellent job promoting it and doing upgrades, etc... too bad you couldnt have stuck around!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I've been keeping up on the Roswell track. It sounds like it's turning into a very nice place to run. I miss it, because out here we don't get more than 4-5 runs a night. :(

I still haven't run my car since the motor and turbo swap though. I should be throwing in the 800cc injectors right now, but I’ve been spending too much time dyno tuning everyone else's cars that it make me not even want to work on my own.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
ekool said:
lifeisdeath said:
the pistons, crank, and rods are.


"The SRT-4's 2.4 liter engine is equipped with heavy-duty hypereutectic forged steel connecting rods. "

this is from the dodge chat on their homepage. they also talk about the pistons and crank elswhere being forged. i will try to find it.
Trust me, they are not forged.

Also, hypereutectic and forged are different things....

That would be like saying you have an aluminum stainless steel header.

Please point me to the URL that has said the above so I can correct them.
it is from the dodge chat. go to dodge.com then to the srt-4 chatlog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
The actual wording of the chat states "The dodge SRT4 2.4L turbo engine has heavy-duty cracked forged steel connecting rods. The pistons are high strength cast eutectic aluminum alloy and feature full-floating piston pins"

This is interesting indeed, though it looks as if these are forged powdered metal based off the other websites I’ve looked at, it does say forged steel. I'll have to have a closer look...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
nmyeti said:
The actual wording of the chat states "The dodge SRT4 2.4L turbo engine has heavy-duty cracked forged steel connecting rods. The pistons are high strength cast eutectic aluminum alloy and feature full-floating piston pins"

This is interesting indeed, though it looks as if these are forged powdered metal based off the other websites I’ve looked at, it does say forged steel. I'll have to have a closer look...
so is forged powdered metal good or bad? should i just shell out the dough for titanium rods? you think the set-up they have now is good for 500whp? that is my first milestone. tec3, t-76 ceramic ball bearing turbo, spearco intercooler, oil cooler, 1000cc injectors, etc, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
From my understanding there are several different ways to manufacturer rods. When it comes right down to ultimate strength the following is the ranking from weakest to strongest.

1. Cast rods
2. Powdered metal rods
3. Forged powdered metal rods
4. Forged steel rods.

The Neon rods look like they are forged Powdered metal. While the ultimate strength of the material is not quite as strong as the "classic" forged rod, they are however quite strong, and a good deal stronger than a normal powdered metal rod. I suspect the SRT-4 bottom end is going to be quite strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Here is a bunch of info and pictures on the bottom end of the engine. http://www.bstockum.com/turboblock.html

For those who want to upgrade the bottom end replacement rods are readily available arlready-- any rod that works in the older 2.4 NA engine will work in the new SRT engine. As of right now the old Dodge Turbo rods will work (cheap, readily available and good for 400hp) Eagle makes a set, as does Crower. Wiseco already makes forged pistons as well.

Another note Titanium is NOT the strongest material for rods. Good heat treated, low alloy steel is stronger (not to mention cheaper). Titanium rods would be lighter, just not stronger.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
Kyle said:
Here is a bunch of info and pictures on the bottom end of the engine. http://www.bstockum.com/turboblock.html

For those who want to upgrade the bottom end replacement rods are readily available arlready-- any rod that works in the older 2.4 NA engine will work in the new SRT engine. As of right now the old Dodge Turbo rods will work (cheap, readily available and good for 400hp) Eagle makes a set, as does Crower. Wiseco already makes forged pistons as well.

Another note Titanium is NOT the strongest material for rods. Good heat treated, low alloy steel is stronger (not to mention cheaper). Titanium rods would be lighter, just not stronger.
have you looeked at the difference in hardeness of low alloy steel and titanium rods. and of course it isnt the strongest. i would go with a nice tungsten carbide rod if i wanted nearly the strongest.

and they make forged titanium.

http://www.eaglealloys.com/Forgings.html

or maybe i will get them made from osmium :lol:

http://focus.aps.org/story/v9/st16
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,578 Posts
btw you want any rotating mass to be lighter.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
master_1011
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top