Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my boost controller today (thanks to the dozens of people who explained to me how to put it in :D ) and put it in. All I can say is 'HOLY CRAP!' I misadjusted it at first and spikes to like 18psi just for a split second :!: , I dont think I damaged anything though. After adjusting it within reason, i have a bit of fine tooning to do tonight, this freaking thing rips!! 3rd gear chirps are easy. It has such force pushing you back in 2nd and third, I cant believe it.first is just a smoke show, but I think I can modulate it. I highly recomend it, and everyone was right, it was super easy! I am boosting to about 14psi, with momentary spikes to about 16 psi, but I will try to iron out those spikes by fine tuning it more.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I kinda am a bit worried about that 1 momentary spike, but other than that I love it!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
stevessrt said:
Thanks, I kinda am a bit worried about that 1 momentary spike, but other than that I love it!!
Meh unless you ran it at the spike for a bit, I doubt you leaned out the mixture enough to cuase a problem. That is if you saw it spike, got off the gas etc.

Did it ping?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As soon as I saw it swing up as fast as it did, I got off the gas, but it was still fast enough to hit what I think was about 18psi. I dont remember if it pinged or not, it happened so quickly. My sinical mind say yes, but to be honest, I just dont know.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
stevessrt said:
As soon as I saw it swing up as fast as it did, I got off the gas, but it was still fast enough to hit what I think was about 18psi. I dont remember if it pinged or not, it happened so quickly. My sinical mind say yes, but to be honest, I just dont know.
I can't help ya then :( You start pinging at 17'ish.

·
Registered
127 Posts
stevessrt said:
Steve,
The more boost we ran in the mid-rpm range when testing on the dyno, the more fuel the car dumped to keep the air-fuel ratios in the mid 10:1 range.

We've ran 18psi for full dyno runs already without detonation. What you are listening for sounds much less like a "ping" than a BB or marble rattling around in a coffee can. Detonation is hard to miss, but I’ve yet to experience audible detonation on the SRT-4 with boost spikes to over 25psi. If you try to sustain 25psi, you’re in trouble, but a short “bat of the eye” spike to 18psi didn’t hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
stevessrt, that is cool! I bet you're still as excited right about now! :twisted:

I am thinking of doing this. You said the installation was very easy. Did you have to cut any of the OEM parts?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
nmyeti said:
stevessrt said:
Steve,
The more boost we ran in the mid-rpm range when testing on the dyno, the more fuel the car dumped to keep the air-fuel ratios in the mid 10:1 range.

We've ran 18psi for full dyno runs already without detonation. What you are listening for sounds much less like a "ping" than a BB or marble rattling around in a coffee can. Detonation is hard to miss, but I’ve yet to experience audible detonation on the SRT-4 with boost spikes to over 25psi. If you try to sustain 25psi, you’re in trouble, but a short “bat of the eye” spike to 18psi didn’t hurt anything.
What octane were you running? I know some people started to ping at 16/17.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SilverBullet said:
stevessrt, that is cool! I bet you're still as excited right about now! :twisted:

I am thinking of doing this. You said the installation was very easy. Did you have to cut any of the OEM parts?
Nope, Nathan was nice enough to give me an extra 2 ft of vac hose, and I used it instead of cutting the factory hose.

I cant say it enough, if I can do it in half an hour, anybody can!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
nmyeti said:
Vanilla_Coke said:
What octane were you running? I know some people started to ping at 16/17.
93 or 94-octane

Sometimes it's good to be on the east coast. You guys out in AZ are stuck with 91-octane crap and I wouldn’t doubt that you’d detonate on the same boost that we can run out here.
Ahh ok yeah you guys are lucky mofos, the cars were running 91 octane here and in Cali.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Looks like you can ad MBC to your sig STEVESSRT. After I get my TT installed, I'm considering one of these units from Turboxs. They sure do look nice, and I'm glad to hear that we have somebody inside testing things and reporting right here on this FANTASTIC forum! Keep up the good work nmyeti (Nathan)! :D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I dunno MBC's are ghetto if you ask me, its all a game of chance I say. You have to tune it by your boost gauge while WOT.

I would rather have something do that for me, and save the chance of overboosting. It's also nice having a boost scramble, so you can luanch better. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
from originally mistuning the apexi i've boosted over 18 (like 20+) for aq brief period. never once did the EGT get very hot. WOT on this car takes care of any air/fuel problems.

i wouldnt worry about 18 for a second. keep on boosting!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vanilla_Coke said:
I dunno MBC's are ghetto if you ask me, its all a game of chance I say. You have to tune it by your boost gauge while WOT.

I would rather have something do that for me, and save the chance of overboosting. It's also nice having a boost scramble, so you can luanch better. :twisted:
Make no mistake, I am sure you will not find anybody to say that if money is no object they would go with an MBC. But after saying that this is what I could afford at this moment, and I am very impressed with the results. It is a quality product giving very good gains for relatively little money. I am happy :D

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Very true :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Vanilla_Coke said:
It's also nice having a boost scramble, so you can luanch better. :twisted:
Or you could use what the pros use

http://www.turboxs.com/Dual Stage Boost Controller.htm

My $129 boost controller spools faster than the $600 E-01 and suffers from less oscillation in boost pressure at WOT. When it comes right down to it many people that depend on boost control for their livelihood tend to run manual controllers for their consistent and predictable boost response.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.