Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I admit I don't know much about cars, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. With that out of the way, I'll get to my question. Do cars with turbo require more frequent service? Is there anything special that must be done to keep it from acting up? I realize it will be under warranty and I won't be driving it like it's stolen. What has everyone's experiences been with a car with turbo?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
My knowledge of turbos is old skool, so I'm not sure if it applies to turbo's made today. I was told by a bunch of mechanics, my uncle as one, that you must let the turbo warm up before you go rippin' away in it and let it settle down before you turn the motor off. It has something to do with the bearings inside of the turbo unit. My father once had a Renault Fuego with a 2.2 litre turbo in it and that turbo SUCKED ASS! The turbo unit in it blew up 3 time before 40k and my dad sold the car. The rex boys on this forum should be able to answer this question better.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
The cool down has to do with the oil going into the turbo. After some spirited driving that turbo is hot (well over 1000 degrees I believe), and you have to let the car idle so it will cool down the oil and turbo. If you just pound the car to death then turn it off, the oil inside the turbo will be very hot and stagnate and you will cause it to coke the bearings. Because of this most people change the oil a little more frequently and/or use Synthetic oil because it doesn't break down as much.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Actually it is a combination of the speed and temperature of the turbo. It is possible for the turbo to be spinning close to 100,000rpm if you shut the car off under boost, with the engine shut down there is no oil pressure, so the tiny amount of oil left in the turbo quickly cokes (burns) or drains out of the turbo, and then your turbo shaft has no oil, but is still spinning, which ruins the bearing.

Two easy way to prevent this are to use synthetic oil, which doesn't coke near as easily as dino oil, and drive gingerly for a bit before you shut the car off. If anyone is really worried you can go ahead and add a turbo timer.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the information. Does anyone know of a website that has basic car information. For example, how turbo works. I'm not totally ingnorant about automobiles. I've worked on my car before, just replacing the alternator, starter and oil filter and changing disc and drum brakes, but nothing major. Just looking for a place I can get more information about the meat and potatoes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Do cars with turbo require more frequent service?
no

Is there anything special that must be done to keep it from acting up?
Make sure you use premium gas. As other people said, letting it cool down is generally a good practice, though most new turbo cars don't require it.

What has everyone's experiences been with a car with turbo?
My parents had an Audi turbo. No turbo related problems, that car had major lag though. Probably not a problem with the SRT-4.

JC

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Make sure you use premium gas. As other people said, letting it cool down is generally a good practice, though most new turbo cars don't require it.
Good point. I'm sure it's posted somewhere on this forum, but, the SRT-4 DOES REQUIRE 91 octane and above and they HIGHLY RECOMMEND using Mobil1 synthetic oil. (used in the Viper)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know they recommend mobil1, but i think redline is the best, although it is costly. and i don't think a turbo could be water cooled as the water would evaporate and turn to steam in a heartbeat due to very high temps (the metal glows when run hard or so i've seen on t.v.). I am making an educated guess here, but i think it would be similar to throwing water on hot disc brakes, they could warp due to too rapidly cooling, and i think the turbo housing and parts might too, not to mention the pressure build up from the water going to steam (like those old radiators, POP!). Think of those medieval guys making swords; red hot metal + h2o = ssssssssssssssss

·
Registered
864 Posts
NoisufnoC said:
now i could be way off, but i thought i read somewhere that the srt's turbo was going to be water cooled. anyone hear this?
It may have a water to air intercooler and that's what you were thinking? Just a stab in the dark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
actually almost all turbos are water cooled, all the 2.2/2.5 engines had there turbos water and oil cooled and bet on it that the srt-4 will be the same. the only turbos that i can think of that wasent water cooled was on the buick grand nationals.

Turbo myths, fact vs. fiction
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_myths.html

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
the intercooler is air to air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing