Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this at there site http://www.ttiracing.com/products/parts/turbo/t3-t4.htm
it says it gets u up to 400hp. that would be sweet. just wondering if anyone knows anything about this turbo. the dodge stage 3 upgrade gets you to 290hp right? well this thing kicks its ass, but i really dont know much about it cause ive never really followed the neon scene. o well, if u have any info let me know cause this is really interesting

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I purchased that turbo for my 1st gen with a 57 trim wheel instead of 50. But yeah the exhuast mani is the problem as well as the wastedate etc.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Someone will make an exhaust manifold shortly which will be seperate from the turbine housing. This will probably still have a mitsu flange...but don't worry. There are plenty of turbo shops which have plenty of experience with mitsu/garrett hybrid turbos.

A very popular turbo combo & reputible turbo dealer in the DSM world.
http://www.forcedperformance.net/dsm_turbo_green.htm
http://www.forcedperformance.net/dsm_turbo_red.htm

Here's another
http://www.agpturbo.com/rseries.htm

be patient young grass hoppa! Besides a 16G turbo can support 340hp:) Still have a little while till you out grow it's potential.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ah, if only life were that simple! Bolting on a turbo that can support over 400 hp does not mean your car will have 400 hp. Chances are very slim that you will get 300 without extensive work. Beside the exhaust manifold problem, how are you going to control that turbo? If you want to go past 25 psi (which you will need for that kind of hp) that wastegate actuator won't work. How about fuel pump, injectors, electronics? Better have an intercooler and it better be good. Axles? Engine mounts? Transmission? Clutch? Will your cylinder head flow well enough to make that kind of power? Etc.

It gets real complicated real fast!

·
Registered
113 Posts
V8KILLR said:
be patient young grass hoppa! Besides a 16G turbo can support 340whp:) Still have a little while till you out grow it's potential.
Ahh. Yes a TDO5H 16g turbo with a 7cm exhaust housing on a DSM can support 350 HP but this cars setup is completely different. :)

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
so wait, bolting on a turbo that can hold 500 hp doesnt give you 500 hp? that sucks.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Mike B. said:
Ah, if only life were that simple! Bolting on a turbo that can support over 400 hp does not mean your car will have 400 hp. Chances are very slim that you will get 300 without extensive work. Beside the exhaust manifold problem, how are you going to control that turbo? If you want to go past 25 psi (which you will need for that kind of hp) that wastegate actuator won't work. How about fuel pump, injectors, electronics? Better have an intercooler and it better be good. Axles? Engine mounts? Transmission? Clutch? Will your cylinder head flow well enough to make that kind of power? Etc.

It gets real complicated real fast!
I couldn't agree with you more! I didn't mean to make it sound simple as I was only pointing out that there will be plenty of options from aftermarket tuners soon. Having the hardware is very different than having the knowledge to make it all work happily together.

I'd also like to note that sometimes less is more! It's not about who's got the biggest, badest, latest & greatest. It's using what you've already got to it's fullest potential. I've seen many 12 second 16G powered DSM's. Yes I know they are a very different car but there are many similarities as well.

For *most* people this is plenty fast for a daily driven street car. This IS what makes the SRT-4 such an intriguing car in that it comes stock with about 90% of the performance parts needed to churn out 12sec trips to the grocery store while having 4 doors & a dirt cheap price...Very impressive. Any experienced racer will agree that the hard part it tuning & driving the car...not building it.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
When a turbo is rated at X amount of HP, that does not mean that you will get that much. It means you need to set up your car right to get that. Fuel, computer etc.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
abaddsm said:
V8KILLR said:
be patient young grass hoppa! Besides a 16G turbo can support 340whp:) Still have a little while till you out grow it's potential.
Ahh. Yes a TDO5H 16g turbo with a 7cm exhaust housing on a DSM can support 350 HP but this cars setup is completely different. :)
Different in a good way :D
0.4 extra litres of displacement
300lbs lighter
16G Turbocharger & Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC) stock & under warantee

AWD would be nice but hey....you cant have everything right?

·
Registered
220 Posts
V8KILLR said:
be patient young grass hoppa! Besides a 16G turbo can support 340hp:) Still have a little while till you out grow it's potential.
But isn't the turbo on the SRT-4 a tdo4 with a 16g wheel?

Do you think this turbo and manifold is good for 350?

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
thats a negative Ryan simply because of the fact that the boost required to make that kind of power may far exceed the rpm this setup can safely spin to. This inturn results in a high heat low efficiency turbo unit aswell as one that can become seriously damaged quickly at speeds that far exceed is designed capacities and dont think an intercooler will help too much. Bascally if the turbo could (theoretically) support 400hp it would be so inefficient simply because of the high heat it would generate which would tranfer into the compressed air aswell as generating enough heat to potentially damage the catalyst system (if so equipped).

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Ryan Autry said:
But isn't the turbo on the SRT-4 a tdo4 with a 16g wheel?

Do you think this turbo and manifold is good for 350?
Hmmm...If that's the case I'm not sure? Like it was stated above, you'll be hard pressed to reach the stated "capable" HP or CFM rates on a turbo.

Just for demonstarative purposes, Turbo Magazine recently finished a 4 part article following the build up of a DSM (Dec. 2002 Issue). With all bolt on modifications using the stock TDO4 14B turbo (1st Gen) they squeezed out 271WHP. On an upgraded TD05 16G they were able to pump out 327WHP. Understand that's definately on the high end of what most people normally dyno at. Obviously the more optimizing of the engine you do, the closer you can get.

·
Registered
113 Posts
V8KILLR said:
Just for demonstarative purposes, Turbo Magazine recently finished a 4 part article following the build up of a DSM (Dec. 2002 Issue). With all bolt on modifications using the stock TDO4 14B turbo (1st Gen) they squeezed out 271WHP. On an upgraded TD05 16G they were able to pump out 327WHP.
The stock 1g turbos are TDo5 14b's. [email protected]

SRT4's have the smaller Td04 compressor housing. :(
Big torque, low lag, low flow. :(

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
You almost got it right.

1G 5speed has a TD05H-14b-6cm2

Our cars have a TD04L turbine wheel. The TD04L designates the turbine wheel, not the compressor housing. Oh and you've got to love the fact that the shaft spins the wrong way. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
So from your experience where does the TD04L 16K turbo fall on its face?
Do you think this turbo is equally as capable as the stock 1g 5-speed 14b's?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thats the problem, I don't think anyone has the experience with this turbo because it is so new. I tried to get a compressor map from Mitsubish, and they told me it is proprietary.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
[quote="abaddsm

The stock 1g turbos are TDo5 14b's. [email protected]

SRT4's have the smaller Td04 compressor housing. :(
Big torque, low lag, low flow. :([/quote]

I'm a 2Ger...what do I know :oops:

Really I was just trying to give others a close example of what to expect of this mitsu turbo, but I stand corrected.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
TTI has a srt compatiable turbo manifold. I believe it will be available in the coming weeks. I believe they are going to offer the turbo/manifold/downpipe as a set or just the manifold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts