Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Uh.......hello, uh, I would like to order the Service manual for the SRT-4."

I dont see that in our system, is it a Dodge?

"Well it Just came out this week."

Oh, ok. I don't see it in our list.

"Its a neon body but its not called a neon, its an SRT-4."

Ah, ok. WOuld you like a CD or book?

"I'll take the cd."

Okay your final order for the neon manual is XX.XX.

"Uh, mam its not a neon. Its an SRT-4. If you go to your own website, you will notice that its listed under a seperate vehicle, not a Neon."

Well I will have to contact our tech pub people to see. Whats your name?

"Its the same as what you wrote down when you took my CC info and so is the number."

Okay we will get in contact with you.

I called twice. One lady told me to call again in a month to see if they got it. I think I will go to teh dealer and hook up with a tech to see if he lets me burn his copy for a ride in my srt. :)

So if you guys call for any parts to your vehicle, make sure the first thing you ask is "Do you know what an SRT-4 is?

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's pretty sad...even the customer service people don't know what cars are in their own stable?!?! Yikes! :cry:

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
It might not be out yet, but FWIW, they often combine all packages for a specific model into one Factory Service Manual (FSM). Just because they say Neon doesn't mean it won't have the SRT-4 stuff in it (although it sounds like the dealer is not sure either way).

Also, something that I don't understand, why does everyone insist on denying the SRT-4 is a neon? It uses the same underpinnings, unibody, and body panels with the exception of the front/rear fascias, spoiler and ground effects. Even the engine is mechanically similar to the NA 2.0/2.4L with the exception of having internals and other parts intended for forced induction.

IMHO, just because it has its own section on the website separate from the neon does not signify it has more differences than commonalities. I look at it simply as market ploy (one that seems to be working pretty well). I am not trying to flame anyone, but can any of you really provide good justification to why its not a neon?

PS- good luck with your SRT-4, I hope you find the FSM you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
NeonWaSp said:
you'll be sorry you asked that once lifeisdeath sees it, however i do agree with you.
We'll see :wink:

As far as I am concerned it would take some cold hard facts to sway me otherwise from the stance I have taken. For example, that would mean proving that a majority of the parts are not interchangeable and/or shared. In a sense I intended that to be a rhetorical question despite anticipating people will comment anyways :)

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
In my case, I did make the statement that there is nowhere within the paperwork, vehicle badging, owners manual, Dodge's website, etc. that it is referred to as a Neon.(Making it inelligible for the $2500 rebate of course)

Some of the magazine / TV reviews take it to the extreme the other way, saying it's just an updated Neon.

I agree 100% that it is a Neon based vehicle, like the ACR, but it's almost like calling a Shelby-- "just a Mustang", or an AMX --"just a Javelin"...(oooops, did I just date myself ??)

Anyhow, not trying to flame anyone on this, just trying to state that it is all a matter of perception.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
RaptorRed said:
In my case, I did make the statement that there is nowhere within the paperwork, vehicle badging, owners manual, Dodge's website, etc. that it is referred to as a Neon.(Making it inelligible for the $2500 rebate of course)

Some of the magazine / TV reviews take it to the extreme the other way, saying it's just an updated Neon.

I agree 100% that it is a Neon based vehicle, like the ACR, but it's almost like calling a Shelby-- "just a Mustang", or an AMX --"just a Javelin"...(oooops, did I just date myself ??)

Anyhow, not trying to flame anyone on this, just trying to state that it is all a matter of perception.

Ah good point, so now I shall make further clarification of what I meant. I have no intentions of saying the SRT-4 is "merely a neon", same as I wouldn't say a CSX is "merely a shadow", but at the same time there is no denying the SRT-4 is heavily based on the neon. Basically its both a SRT-4 and neon, and it doesn't make much sense to me how anyone can distinguish it as strictly one or the other and not both.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
You know, I was looking at the inventories of the dealers that had already gotten SRT-4's, and its not listed as it's own seperate car from a Neon, it's listed as Dodge Neon SRT-4. They need to notorize documents stating that this is what they're going to do and what they say is also accurate, it would make life for all of us easier, wouldn't it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
SpitterGuy said:
You know, I was looking at the inventories of the dealers that had already gotten SRT-4's, and its not listed as it's own seperate car from a Neon, it's listed as Dodge Neon SRT-4
Yes it is defintely a neon. I always called it the NEON SRT-4, because thats what it is, a special edition neon.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
It doesn't share any of the neon power train or suspension, and it isn't called a neon. It's a neon like the Stratus R/T is an Eclipse. Sure they share a lot, but they are different cars. Now, i'm not offended by someone calling it a neon, because neons have great racing history. So, it doesn't matter either way to me. But, in truth, all the parts that matter are different, and dodge identifies the srt by itself.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
ebbtide said:
It doesn't share any of the neon power train or suspension, and it isn't called a neon. It's a neon like the Stratus R/T is an Eclipse. Sure they share a lot, but they are different cars. Now, i'm not offended by someone calling it a neon, because neons have great racing history. So, it doesn't matter either way to me. But, in truth, all the parts that matter are different, and dodge identifies the srt by itself.
Well stated. I couldn't agree more with Eb!

·
Registered
207 Posts
ebbtide said:
I couldnt agree with you less :lol: NO offense, but that was the worst anology. How is it like the Stratus, and Eclipse? Those are two different manufacturers, who have a shared platform...like the Pointac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. Its completely different with the Neon, and the SRT-4.
The SRT is a neon plain and simple, it started life as a neon, it shares the neon body...yes it does have a different powertrain..but that doesnt change what kind of car it is. Like the SER-SpecV has a different powertrain than a regular senta, but its still a sentra...

Well im glad that your not offended when someone calls the SRT-4 a neon, because it is :wink: . Its a damn cool neon.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
i already posted this somewhere on here, but it has a completely different engine, reinforced frame, new k member, updated knuckles, interior, tranny, clutch, blah blah blah... if it were an upgraded neon, it would say neon srt-4 somewhere one the car or owners manual. kinda like neon sxt. it has its own place on the website, and i have called several times to ask them if it was a neon and they have said no.

it was completely ground-up design with guys from the viper gts-r racing team and prominent auto-x guys.

it looks like a neon because they wanted to save money. they used the basic shell, headlights and taillights. thats about it. like ebb said, just because it looks like a neon doesnt make it one.

look at the 350z and the g35. very similar looking, but very different cars.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
Quark said:
Its completely different with the Neon, and the SRT-4.
The SRT is a neon plain and simple, it started life as a neon, it shares the neon body...yes it does have a different powertrain..but that doesnt change what kind of car it is. Like the SER-SpecV has a different powertrain than a regular senta, but its still a sentra...
it didnt start as a neon. the supercharged version had neon on it, then they scrapped that and started over with a new car. the spec-v is still called a nissan sentra ser spec-v.

the srt-4 has alot more different than just the powertrain my boy. the only thing they share is the basic look, headlights and taillights. why is that?

to keep it under $20,000.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
found it.

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1756&highlight=heavy+duty+clutch#1756

these are the differences, if you can look at all the differences and still say its the same car then i guess there is no help for you! :p

the srt-4 has different:
equal length half-shafts
tires
wheels
brakes
k memeber
all new engine
heavy duty clutch
heavy duty brand new transaxle
front fascia
intercooler
hood
rear bumper
side skirts
mufflerless exhaust
seats
gauges
steering wheel
interior fabric
spoiler
short shifter
developed with help from auto-x'ers and the viper gts-r team.
and lastly extra bracing for the chassis to help make it stiffer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
found it.

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1756&highlight=heavy+duty+clutch#1756

these are the differences, if you can look at all the differences and still say its the same car then i guess there is no help for you! :p

the srt-4 has different:
equal length half-shafts
tires
wheels
brakes
k memeber
all new engine
heavy duty clutch
heavy duty brand new transaxle
front fascia
intercooler
hood
rear bumper
side skirts
mufflerless exhaust
seats
gauges
steering wheel
interior fabric
spoiler
short shifter
developed with help from auto-x'ers and the viper gts-r team.
and lastly extra bracing for the chassis to help make it stiffer.
Exactly, thank you! It did start out as a neon, and these are the differences. It still is a neon, still rides on the same platform has the same look, just different drivetrain and suspension components...and a slight visual makeover. I really dont see why you are arguing about this.
Its nothing like the G35 and 350Z, which have a different brand name, and those cars dont share one body panel, but they have the same drivetrain.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Yes I am still around. More of a reader lately than a poster. :) But anyways, YES we do have the SRT-4 service manuals, but only in book form right now. I"m at lunch right now so I'll check on the CD manual. I don't really feel like having to scan every page of the service manuals unless someone was wanting to pay me quite a bit. ;) Also, I found out today that I'll be getting sent to the driver's course for the SRT-4 training around April. I know Florida, New York, and Cali have already done this, but I haven't seen anyone that actually attented the course post here, so I'll definately give you guys the specifics when it happens. I'm sure someone has posted something similar before, I just haven't read through the entire archive of posts. I was recently going to travel to Florida to pick up and SRT-4 but my dealership wouldn't work with the dealer in Florida :( Major bummer. But I have thought about it and hope they'll have the LSD released when I get mine so I can just slap it on first thing plus carry the factory warranty with it. :) I'm expecting us upper states to get our SRT-4s around mid-May or early June. As soon as there is a more for-sure date, I'll let you guys know. And like always, anymore questions, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Quark said:
I couldnt agree with you less :lol: NO offense, but that was the worst anology. How is it like the Stratus, and Eclipse? Those are two different manufacturers, who have a shared platform...like the Pointac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. Its completely different with the Neon, and the SRT-4.

Well im glad that your not offended when someone calls the SRT-4 a neon, because it is :wink: . Its a damn cool neon.
Its an arugment of semantics... BTW, the stratus and eclipse are built at the same plant, on the same line, by the same operators. If they aren't the same car, then the neon and srt arn't the same car. Both the stratus and eclipse share the same underpinnings, engine, powertrain, suspension, but w/ different body cladding, slightly different interiors, and different names on the back. IMO, the eclipse and the stratus are more similar than the SRT and the neon because they share the same powertrain and suspension, unlike the srt/neon... But again, like you I really don't care

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
14 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing