Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new T-850 for my ride. The vendor stated it was a new old stock transmission, implying 0 miles. After receiving the item, I had some doubts that I received what was ordered. If anyone is able to help me identify this trans, I would be thankful. I have searched and went through some of the old posts regarding this, but I wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive.

Invoice - New old stock 2004 T850 w/ LSD

Concerns
  1. Trans was painted silver. Vendor stated this was due to it getting some blue over spray on it during storage. It was very clearly entirely blue as it is found in every crevice showing through the silver.
  2. Trans was plugged with used sensors (why would he remove the factory plugs if it was never used?).
  3. Trans tag has a date of 05/28/2003. The vendor states this is not the original tag for the transmission. Why would he change it?
  4. The factory stickers have been removed.
  5. Clutch fork inspection plate is missing.
  6. Pivot ball appears to be installed.
Is there a serial stamping I can locate on this transmission that would help verify that it is in fact a 2004 model, and not a rebuilt 2003? I am hoping to not have to pull the gear box and look for needle bearings on the 3rd/4th gears.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Rim Door Automotive wheel system Household hardware

Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle Water Steering wheel

Machine tool Wood Milling Gas Machine

Wood Gas Auto part Nut Machine

· Registered
3,138 Posts
its a 18-20 year old car, just put it in and drive.. pulling the trans apart will just increase the chance of a leak.

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I intend on using it while rebuilding the old one. Doesn't mean I'm not hoping for a stamped serial number or something. Vehicle age is no excuse for fraud.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that my last comment wasn't an accusation. I'm merely suspicious at this time.

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks fishy. Hopefully everything works when you put it in. You didn't say what you paid for it. Maybe you got it for cheap? Since it's supposedly new, Is there any transmission fluid in it?
I got it from what I believed to be a reputable vendor who offers transmission rebuilds. When I inquired about purchasing without core, I was told there was a 6 week delay.

However, I was then offered what I received for $600 more than the advertised rebuild price. He stated he had it for 16 years and decided he was never going to use it.

I thought that I lucked out and was getting something special. That my calling right before Christmas had inspired him to let go of something special.

Instead I feel lied to and ripped off. That's why I would like to identify the case stampings if possible.

· Super Moderator
17,466 Posts
I got it from what I believed to be a reputable vendor who offers transmission rebuilds. When I inquired about purchasing without core, I was told there was a 6 week delay.

However, I was then offered what I received for $600 more than the advertised rebuild price. He stated he had it for 16 years and decided he was never going to use it.

I thought that I lucked out and was getting something special. That my calling right before Christmas had inspired him to let go of something special.

Instead I feel lied to and ripped off. That's why I would like to identify the case stampings if possible.
The person to ask would be Cindy at FWD Performance, unless you purchased this from them. I wouldn't think they'd be dishonest about it You can call them up, leave a message if they don't answer, she might be able to give you more info about what the tag/case stampings mean.

If it was them don't mention it here, message me though.

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The person to ask would be Cindy at FWD Performance, unless you purchased this from them. I wouldn't think they'd be dishonest about it You can call them up, leave a message if they don't answer, she might be able to give you more info about what the tag/case stampings mean
I will do that. It was purchased from Forward Motion. I wish NVG was still around so I could inquire directly.

· Super Moderator
17,466 Posts
I will do that. It was purchased from Forward Motion. I wish NVG was still around so I could inquire directly.
NVG's crappy build quality is why they are no longer around, unfortunately. Using inferior materials in an effort to offset wear and tear on other materials is a poor way of trying to ensure quality control on your product, they should have known better and Daimler should have gone with a proven leader like Getrag. I don't want to be too mean to NVG, they did have some decent truck transmissions. But it it is still irritating that 1) the SRT4 transmission was crafted the way it was, and 2) there are still people out there who blame the owners for 'abusing the transmission'. I've owned probably around 30 to 35 vehicles in my life, including a bunch of turbo vehicles, I only had issues with one transmission, not including my 87' lebaron, but EVERYTHING went out on that car at one point or another LOL.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
NVG's crappy build quality is why they are no longer around, unfortunately. Using inferior materials in an effort to offset wear and tear on other materials is a poor way of trying to ensure quality control on your product, they should have known better and Daimler should have gone with a proven leader like Getrag. I don't want to be too mean to NVG, they did have some decent truck transmissions. But it it is still irritating that 1) the SRT4 transmission was crafted the way it was, and 2) there are still people out there who blame the owners for 'abusing the transmission'. I've owned probably around 30 to 35 vehicles in my life, including a bunch of turbo vehicles, I only had issues with one transmission, not including my 87' lebaron, but EVERYTHING went out on that car at one point or another LOL.
I thought I read or heard somewhere that the NVG transmission originated in an "Eastern European Delivery Truck". No idea if that's true or not. But to me it seemed at least logical that PVO would want to use a stronger yet cheap transmission for the high performance Neon aka SRT-4. The fact that it shifted like a bag of shit was probably less important than getting it sold at the 2003 low price of $19995 or thereabouts.

I do think power shifting and using something other than the recommend ATF+4 may well have contributed to the high failure rates. I was warned against Redline transmission fluid by Doctor Who, the Section Chief for Dodge/ PVO back then. And I never power shifted because, well, it just don't seem like the "Gentle on my mind" technique that Jimmy Clark had.

So I think you should just install Cindi's transmission, fill it properly with the recommended fluid and then drive it carefully. If it fucks up then talk to the vendor rather than spending too much more time worrying about it.

Good luck.

But I'd rather have had a Great like my Caliber SRT-4.

· Registered
92 Posts
I remember reading a thread or two about 3rd gear pop out on relatively low mile cars...mine developed the pop out on downshifts into 3rd after daily driving it stock for 5 years, never powershifting not even once, and afaik it was not abused by its original owner. Middle aged lady only drove it to/from work monday-friday. I always rev matched so I'm not sure exactly when it showed up, could have always been there for all I know 🤷‍♂️ Shift extender fixed it right up though, haven't had a problem since.

· Registered
92 Posts
Vendor alleges I received the correct transmission. He directed me away from emails and to verbal conversations. Considering credit card chargeback, but I don't know what that all entails.
Hope you recorded the calls, did they say anythnig about the different/lack of tags?

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hope you recorded the calls, did they say anythnig about the different/lack of tags?
I try to keep all communication to email for my records.

Hello Mike,

There appears to have been a mistake. The transmission I received is
dated from the first half of 2003. This, combined with a few other
factors, demonstrates that I did not receive a new old stock
transmission. Please advise.
That's not the correct tag for the transmission. It is 2004 model with Quaife LSD unit. Please call me if you have any other questions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts