Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone post a "How To" on the proper way to drain and replace transmission fluid....Also reccomend fluid, additives and most important how to refill and know proper fluid level...car will be front end up on jackstands, how will this affect fluid level ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
here is how I do it. I do it with the car on the ground. Since our car has rake , I get it so the front tires are a bit higher up so that the bottom of the car is perfectly level. I check along the bottom side rails and use a level to determine if its flat. In stock form the front end sits lower and is tilted. I just drive the car up a higher section of my driveway until the rails indicate perfectly level, this is how the car would sit if you had it up on a lift - perfectly level. There is lots of room for you to poke your head under the bumper facing the front of the tranny and do the work without lifting the car. So dont lift the car as it's not necessary, if you want to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left it may give you more room to put your head under the bumper and viewing the tranny. Pull out the black rubber drain plug by yanking on it. Then remove the lower drain plug with an 8mm allen key socket - one of the sockets with an allen key protruding out of it. The drain bolt is more of a disc than a bolt, doesnt resemble your traditional bolt, use the allen key socket to loosen it. I use a 3 inch wobbly socket extension and a ratchet on the socket, the wobbly extension helps because the drain bolt is on a slant and you dont want to strip it. Drain the fluid into a pan until all done. Then reinsert the drain bolt, I use some non-hardening sealant on the threads - locktite ultragrey works well to keep it sealed from leaking. Then torque it down to about 15 ft lbs. I then use a pump to fill the transmission sump, I use one of those lower marine fill pump units, you can find them at most auto stores, it inserts right into the fluid bottle and you can pump it into the fill hole. After about 2.5 quarts it will begin to fill up. I fill it until the fluid is just at the bottom of the fill hole, or until it begins to leak out of the fill hole. You can't overfill the tranny as it will leak out the fill hole, so not to worry. Once filled, put in the rubber fill plug and you are done.

It's up to you on the fluid if you want to use DCX ATF+4 and Mopar friction modifier - 4oz bottle, or some other fluids. I'm enjoying Redline MTL, feels the best to me and I use it straight up without FM.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Now in easler to read "numbered paragraph" form:) Not being a weenine, JS, just trying to make so it's more digestible:) Good job on the write up.

JSRT4 said:
here is how I do it. I do it with the car on the ground. Since our car has rake , I get it so the front tires are a bit higher up so that the bottom of the car is perfectly level. I check along the bottom side rails and use a level to determine if its flat.

1. In stock form the front end sits lower and is tilted. I just drive the car up a higher section of my driveway until the rails indicate perfectly level, this is how the car would sit if you had it up on a lift - perfectly level. There is lots of room for you to poke your head under the bumper facing the front of the tranny and do the work without lifting the car.

2. So dont lift the car as it's not necessary, if you want to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left it may give you more room to put your head under the bumper and viewing the tranny.

3. Pull out the black rubber drain plug by yanking on it. Then remove the lower drain plug with an 8mm allen key socket - one of the sockets with an allen key protruding out of it. The drain bolt is more of a disc than a bolt, doesnt resemble your traditional bolt, use the allen key socket to loosen it. I use a 3 inch wobbly socket extension and a ratchet on the socket, the wobbly extension helps because the drain bolt is on a slant and you dont want to strip it.

3. Drain the fluid into a pan until all done. Then reinsert the drain bolt, I use some non-hardening sealant on the threads - locktite ultragrey works well to keep it sealed from leaking. Then torque it down to about 15 ft lbs.

4. I then use a pump to fill the transmission sump, I use one of those lower marine fill pump units, you can find them at most auto stores, it inserts right into the fluid bottle and you can pump it into the fill hole. After about 2.5 quarts it will begin to fill up. I fill it until the fluid is just at the bottom of the fill hole, or until it begins to leak out of the fill hole. You can't overfill the tranny as it will leak out the fill hole, so not to worry. Once filled, put in the rubber fill plug and you are done.

It's up to you on the fluid if you want to use DCX ATF+4 and Mopar friction modifier - 4oz bottle, or some other fluids. I'm enjoying Redline MTL, feels the best to me and I use it straight up without FM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts