• Keep the Audi S4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes anyway.

I'm in the process of trading my 2001 Audi s4 for a 2004 srt4. Now before you tell me that I'm crazy, save it because I've heard it before. The reason im trading is because I'm looking to mod my car without breaking the bank and the s4 is already expensive enough to own as it Is. Along with the high mileage. Currently at 183k.

The srt4 I'm trading for has 125k. supposably has an "E1" turbo. Has a Godspeed bfmic. Currently at 10psi. Supposably has a new act stage 2 clutch. Issues I know of so far would be the primer black paint. And the 3rd gear grind issue when downshifting.

I hope someone can advise me of things to look for when meeting up.

Also what do you guys think of the deal? Currently my clutch is slipping. Has a leaky oil pan. Power steering pump is loud and it leaks coolant ever so often. Am I getting a decent deal? Also. How does an srt4 do as a daily driver compared to a b5 Audi s4? Obviously its not at luxerious but how is the road noise factor and other things like that?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It all depends on the car and how well the previous owner has taken care of it. Road noise, clunking, vibration, etc. all depends on the previous owners. I have had my car since it had 5k miles now sitting at over 100k and it's street manners are great but I take really good car of it. Gas mileage on pump gas averages around 25 mpg.

Sounds like the car your getting has a few question marks. I'm not sure what an ACT stage 2 clutch is. ACT has street clutches, sprung and unsprung, as well as puck clutch setups. I believe Clutchmasters is the brand that denotes their products with "Stage X" so you may want to confirm that.

An E1 turbo is hard to find (it's a ported stock turbo) and when pushed hard, they can make for a really great street turbo with a ton of low-end torque. When stock, our turbos boost 12-15 psi so 10 psi means there is a leak somewhere, the turbo is shot, the wastegate actuator has grenaded, or the tune is off.

Check to make sure the car still has the solenoids, check around the intake manifold and valve cover for leaks, make sure it goes through the gears fine. Do as much research on here as possible...possibly find out what the guy selling's user name is on the forums so you can look up past threads where he posted to get a feel for what the car has been through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as 10 psi. I was under the impression that there is a pressure drop when adding a BFMIC and the piping that goes with it. And as far as the gears go. It has a little trouble in 3rd. When downshifting you have to rev match or it won't go in.

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good luck. Finding parts for this car is getting harder and harder. I've been reduced to scavenging. Stock struts are backordered forever, I hear transmission parts are getting harder to come by(I'm not there yet) and parts are expensive. The car is fun a hell but it's something you should consider.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Sounds like either way you will be doing some work.
Yes, new stock struts are hard to find but parts I've bought were cheap and most of the time can be had by running to the local Autozone or O'Reilleys. Hell, I refreshed my engine with new pistons, rings, rod bearings, upper gaskets, and head studs for $650. Also remember that only 25,000 srt-4's were produced but they share most of their parts with the PT Cruiser GT and base Neons. As for the struts there are multiple aftermarket options, and used transmissions can be found for sale on this forum. The parts are out there.
I say go with the srt-4. It will be just as fun if not more!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds like either way you will be doing some work.
Yes, new stock struts are hard to find but parts I've bought were cheap and most of the time can be had by running to the local Autozone or O'Reilleys. Hell, I refreshed my engine with new pistons, rings, rod bearings, upper gaskets, and head studs for $650. Also remember that only 25,000 srt-4's were produced but they share most of their parts with the PT Cruiser GT and base Neons. As for the struts there are multiple aftermarket options, and used transmissions can be found for sale on this forum. The parts are out there.
I say go with the srt-4. It will be just as fun if not more!
Yeah. Motor parts aren't too hard to come by but tranny and suspension. Blah! It is fun though, I can't wait to have my car 100%.

·
Super Moderator
15,681 Posts
Here's your results on SRT Forums - "Get the SRT-4, the Audi is slow, doesn't respond well to mods, overpriced"

Here's your results on B8 S4 - Audizine - "Keep your S4, the SRT is a cheap neon, it's junk, you have a better car".

In the end it is your decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RTShadow Here's your results on SRT Forums - "Get the SRT-4, the Audi is slow, doesn't respond well to mods, overpriced"

Here's your results on B8 S4 - Audizine - "Keep your S4, the SRT is a cheap neon, it's junk, you have a better car".

In the end it is your decision.
ewww.... it sounded soo mean. can you blame him I guess. just tellin it how it is.

On the other hand just got my new to me srt4 and love it I vote go for it.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
SRT-4's are cheap but certainly not junk. I've been happily daily-driving mine for 3 years. They're simple, and built to go fast. If you want leather, bells, and whistles then pay a little more but don't be surprised when that "junk" shows you up on the street or at the track. :eveilgrin

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
If I had continued owning an SRT-4 I would have stockpiled tranny parts, other than that, it's a great beater car. I DD'd mine for almost 9 years, all the way through the modding process to built motor/big turbo.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The question is, is anyone willing to trade you their SRT-4 for a 2001 Audi anything? I got a similar "offer" when I sold my car and I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The question is, is anyone willing to trade you their SRT-4 for a 2001 Audi anything? I got a similar "offer" when I sold my car and I couldn't stop laughing.
So what your saying is. Even with the problems the srt4 has, I should do it? Maybe you could stop being a jerk and be helpful maybe?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ended up trading. Got it last night at around 3 am. Drove it home. Has a tiny boost leak I'm working on right now. Runs pretty good. Has a little bit of wobble and is a little bouncy. But overall I love it. Cant wait to have some adventures in it.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Ended up trading. Got it last night at around 3 am. Drove it home. Has a tiny boost leak I'm working on right now. Runs pretty good. Has a little bit of wobble and is a little bouncy. But overall I love it. Cant wait to have some adventures in it.

Nice!
Is the wobble most noticeable in 3rd gear while accelerating? Most likely axles. They're around $85 a piece and are fairly easy to swap out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts