Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the top of my air box off last night to clean my K & N filter, took it for a drive with out it on and it was a bit louder. Is there any issues of running with out the top of the air box?

Thanks,

·
Registered
57 Posts
You have the surge noise. However, you'll be drawing in all that power robbing hot air from the engine bay instead of cooler air off the side of your fender. Hot air= less dense air= less power. It won't hurt anything though.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
garrettt3 said:
You have the surge noise. However, you'll be drawing in all that power robbing hot air from the engine bay instead of cooler air off the side of your fender. Hot air= less dense air= less power. It won't hurt anything though.
x2...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was not planning on keeping it that way, was purley for information purpose. Only reason I asked is because there is a sensor, which appears to be an IAT in front of the box in the little 90 degree elbow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
u could always cut the bottom of the box and keep the top. ud get less hot air in theory sense the air coming under car would shoot up into where ever u cut it. i know with my intake i left my box for the sneaky look... basically i ran a true cai throw the stock tube ( cut stock tube and slipped it around the intake) and it goes through stock box and throw that 90 degree bend and into the fender... ur all probably wondering why i went through this trouble. ( i also heat wrapped the whole cai) im goin for a sleeper look. ive also had my intercooler sprayed black and with the black mesh it looks like a srt-4 design lol! want ppl to think its stock! so it looks like it is! woot lol

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
hot air wont matter much at the intake...the lil baby turbo gets pretty hott under wot and heats up the air to the same temp with or without the lid

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
BLKDOUTSRT4 said:
hot air wont matter much at the intake...the lil baby turbo gets pretty hott under wot and heats up the air to the same temp with or without the lid
Agreed this what intercoolers are for :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where are you guys putting your vaccuum lines when you do this?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I noticed significant loss in power mid/up top when doing this last summer,just for kicks.How much power loss?
I raced an STI a week before and lost by half a car,raced him again with the cover on and plugging in the 'factory boost leak' hose which I had no idea was unplugged raced him again and beat him by 3-4 cars after that.
I have S2 +needswings ,maybe the S2 is just more touchy with shit like that.
Sounds cool though! you can really hear the turbo whine and stock bov.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
you honestly think that plastic lid will make a difference when the air is passing through a glowing red hot turbo ???? you see all kinds of race cars running filters over the tops of the turbo and thats it.....cant even count how many big turbo supras i have seen with just a screen over the turbo inside the engine bay

·
Registered
25 Posts
im just a noob but i do know that colder air in a hot spot for the same amount of time than warmer air will be colder when it leaves. i.e turbo is 200 degrees and air going through is 80 for 1 second it comes out like 120. if the air going in is 70 degrees going in the same 200 degree turbo for 1 second it would be 110. then your ic is going to cool 110 degree air instead of 120 degree.

same as a microwave frozen pizza in for 10 minutes on high will be less done then a thawed pizza. and at times when it could be a 30 degree difference between air in hood vs outside air the difference is even bigger. now how much that will affect your performance is probably not enough to make a 5 car length difference in a race.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
BLKDOUTSRT4 said:
if you have a good intercooler lid off or on wont matter 1 single bit......

It's more along the lines of that little sensor attacthed to the wannabe cold air duct connected to the intake,from what I hear it mucks up the readings of the incoming air temps of something like that and shit get's screwy with the lid off..

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
BLKDOUTSRT4 said:
you honestly think that plastic lid will make a difference when the air is passing through a glowing red hot turbo ???? you see all kinds of race cars running filters over the tops of the turbo and thats it.....cant even count how many big turbo supras i have seen with just a screen over the turbo inside the engine bay
Dude, if you start with colder air coming in, your going to end with colder air. There's no aruging it. Having a cold air, even on a stock turbo is still benificial then a ram air.

Those guys runing just screens on there turbo do it because they want the extra spool time of not having a restrictive air filter.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
rugdr said:
im just a noob but i do know that colder air in a hot spot for the same amount of time than warmer air will be colder when it leaves. i.e turbo is 200 degrees and air going through is 80 for 1 second it comes out like 120. if the air going in is 70 degrees going in the same 200 degree turbo for 1 second it would be 110. then your ic is going to cool 110 degree air instead of 120 degree.

same as a microwave frozen pizza in for 10 minutes on high will be less done then a thawed pizza. and at times when it could be a 30 degree difference between air in hood vs outside air the difference is even bigger. now how much that will affect your performance is probably not enough to make a 5 car length difference in a race.
yes this is true, good point but the chances of you noticing a diference are exstreamly slim.

take the top of the box off and enjoy the sound of the turbo. i had mine off for a year no problems. intakes do nothing for these cars the only reason to get one is because your big turbo has a 3" or 4" inlet on it.

·
Banned
917 Posts
$RT4 said:
BLKDOUTSRT4 said:
if you have a good intercooler lid off or on wont matter 1 single bit......

from what I hear it mucks up the readings of the incoming air temps of something like that and shit get's screwy with the lid off..

lol. VERY false.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yeah teh stock intake works fine, I remember hearing of dyno sessions where changing the intake produced no change in hp/tq. Aftermarket intakes do look much prettier, however.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts