Dodge SRT Forum banner

Too good to be true?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Conundrum 4000 
#1 ·
So a guy waves me down at a stop light about two weeks ago, asks if I'm interested in selling my car. I tell him if the offer is right, I might be.

Ironically, I was thinking of trading her in to get a more fuel efficient car for my new job (which requires a lot of driving), so I gave him my business card and told him to call me.

The car in question is a Red '05 with 89k miles, first owner, no accidents; but it has the bad red paint problem... peeling, etc.

He offers me $5000, but turns out he wants to export it to Mexico. I told him I'll need to get a new title for the car, because it got lost when I moved last year. He said that he doesn't need a title, that he will give me a bill of sale and 'that will be enough' since he is exporting it anyhow.

Up until he said I didn't need to transfer the title, I was interested in going forward.. now I'm not so sure. I mean, the price is right, I doubt I would get that much from a dealer trade in.

So I'm asking what you guys think?

#2 ·
First of all you could probably get $7K for it.
Thing I'd be worried about is, if the car gets driven and there's trouble it will still be registered in your name.
Request a new copy of the title and just sign it over. If it breaks the deal then fine, $5K is what people pay for a salvage title srt or one with 130K miles.

#5 ·
My '06 civic 4 door had 140 hp and I easily got 37-40 mpg on the highway. Even city I never got less than 30.
370 miles to a tank! :)
It will likely take a long time to recoup the extra money you spend on the Prius. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
People buy cars here like crazy and bring them to Mexico. No title needed.
Just pay the 30$ for a duplicate title........

#8 ·
5 grand isn't enough man...

No title needed? No wonder why so many motorcycles and cars get stolen and taken to mexico. I've always wondered about how they got away with it. I guess there's no one making sure the American vehicles that are being brought it are not stolen. Dickhead thieves going around a simply flawed system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.