Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another thread about Toluene's goodness . :clap:
I read where many people mix 100 octane race gas with their 91 octane gas to boost the total octane to 93 or so ...... This is simply stupid. ..... and here's why :
If you want to boost your octane level to 93 , what would get it to that higher level the easiest ? Mixing 91 octane with 100 octane , or mixing 91 octane with 114 octane ??
Newsflash ..... It takes a LOT LESS of the 114 octane mixed in, than it does the 100 octane to make 93 octane total.
Toluene is 114 octane .... race gas is 100 octane ( the 100 octane variety that is ).
BOTH COST ABOUT $4.50 per gallon ..... so why not save a LOT of money and use Toluene instead ? It only takes 1 gallon of Toluene mixed in a full tank of 91 octane , to bring it up to 93 octane ..... Whereas it takes several gallons of race gas to bring it up to 93.
Since both cost about the same per gallon ....... you do the math.
I buy my Toluene at Sherwin Williams for $23 for a 5 gallon can.. Just set yourself up with an account ( Free and very fast ) , and you can also buy it at this price.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
what bout turbo 108.. half gallon makes 10 gallons 108 octange
and it cost $6 for a quart...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
People use Race Gas over Toluene because a lot of people aren't shady and put stuff you buy at a paint store in their gas tanks. It could be safe or it may not be, I've never tried it and I probably won't since I can get 94 octane at the pump here in Indiana. But a lot of people probably would rather spend the extra dollars to make sure it's safe. Anyways I thought if you used Toluene you were suppose to add Mystery Oil or something like that to it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You read too much hype ....

Turbo 108 MAY make 10 gallons of 91 octane turn into 91.3 octane. Bottled octane boosters are bottled bullshit. Don't waste your money.
There are very real and simple mathmatical formulas for figuring TRUE octane boost levels..... Reading the claims of the off the shelf Octane Booster bottles does NOT fall into the mathmatical formula equation I'm speaking of.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read closer ....

srt4turbo04 said:
People use Race Gas over Toluene because a lot of people aren't shady and put stuff you buy at a paint store in their gas tanks. It could be safe or it may not be, I've never tried it and I probably won't since I can get 94 octane at the pump here in Indiana. But a lot of people probably would rather spend the extra dollars to make sure it's safe. Anyways I thought if you used Toluene you were suppose to add Mystery Oil or something like that to it.
Uggghh ..... my original post did say to use Marvel Mystery Oil in with the Toluene.
Lastly , guess what is in the race gas that makes it higher octane ???? Toluene .... Still think it's shady ? Do some more homework.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have used Tolulene (and Xylene) too....works great....but have heard so many negatives regarding health concerns that I try to stay away from it.....dunno if there is anything to the negative health concerns or not but figure I will stay away from it if I can....

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Health concerns ? ...... YES

This is also real simple ..... The shit causes cancer. But so does a LOT of other things. As with most things , common sense must rule here. If you do not inhale the fumes , or bathe in it , there is NO health risks.
I use a venthilator mask when I pour it from container to tank, and wash my hands afterwards ..... NO health risk.
Also , your are correct .... Toluene is used in ALL aftermarket " Octane Boosters " , as well as many other gas additives , and is a MAIN ingredient in ALL gasolines.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ah...consider me informed now. I still would feel funny putting that stuff in, but that's just me I'm sure it would be safe though if done right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts