Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
My only gripe is the fitment. Other then that i was very pleased with it before things went bad. Great sound and deff felt a difference.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Ray.

it does sound good, and i can tell a little difference in the sotp meter.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I purchased the IPP CAI a few months ago. I was pretty excited to get it installed, as it was my first upgrade I did to the car. I had a few issues with the install that really bummed me out, I will try to explain some of the issues.

When I got the kit, it was supposed to come with 2 hoses. One hose was an upgraded coolant line, and the other hose was a valve cover breater hose, that connected to the intake. I only received the upgraded valve cover breathing hose, which is not your typical coolant / fuel hose. It was simply a light-weight rubber hose, with no reinforcement inside it. Unfortunately, that is the hose that I used as the upgraded coolant line. This was the only line in the box, so I assumed that this was the one that I needed to use. I used the stock breather line from the valve cover on the CAI and it seemed like this is what I was supposed to use. A couple days later, I had sprung a leak in the “upgraded” coolant line, and coolant was spraying into the engine bay. I guess I wasn’t too surprised when it happened, as I had thought that when I installed the “upgraded” coolant line, it was not going to take pressure and rubbing too well.
I drove to the parts store and got some regular coolant / fuel line to replace the hose that had the hole. I went ahead and removed the battery and the CAI from the turbo housing. In doing this, I noticed that there was a little rubbing happening between the end of the CAI and the turbo itself. It kind of worried me that some metal particles could get into the turbo. I went ahead and replaced the line, and when installing the CAI back onto the turbo, I did my best to position it so that rubbing of the CAI on the turbo would be kept to a minimum.
Fast forward a couple months, I start to smell a bit of a coolant smell when I turn on my AC, I pop the hood and check out the upgraded coolant line that was near the CAI. Come to find out the CAI was a tight enough fit that it had rubbed through the coolant line and had now sprung another leak. This was about the time when this issued had came up on the boards and Hector or Ray had suggested to bend the nipple that was coming off of the main coolant line to avoid rubbing, so I did this, and it seems to have solved that problem for good. I replaced the line again, and have been keeping an eye on it, so far so good.

Another issue I had with the install of the IPP CAI, was when I was installing the bolt with the rubber “shock absorber” to help support the CAI near the battery tray. I tried threading the bolt down into the battery tray, and it was going in pretty hard. The instructions had stated that it might be hard, but to keep going at it. I double and triple checked to see if I had cross threaded the bolt, yet after a few attempts, I ended of twisting the bolt off in the hole. I am wondering if it might have been a difference between and ’03 and ’04 models battery tray. I have an ’04. I was able to drill out the hole, and flip the bolt/shock absorber over and turn it in a little ways to use it.

I am not sure what to think about the heat soak issue, or how my IPP CAI gets so freaking hot. I am sure that part of it is living in Arizona with 100+ degree temperatures and the fact that the CAI actually touches the turbo, but after the car gets up to temperature the CAI is hot to the touch, and after some spirited driving I am unable to keep my hand on it without burning myself. I know that air is running through the intake at a pretty high rate of speed, so I am not sure if the air really has that much time to heat up.
I just wanted to post my experiences with this, I hope this is what you were looking for. I have had a few setbacks with the intake, but I like the way it looks, and how it doesn’t come up over the battery.

·
"Made" Member
75,380 Posts
Ray, I love mine.

My problems stem from two things.

#1) is the in infamous coolant hose. Mine sprung a leak this weekend. It was also
bulging in a coulpe of different spots. I don't think my hose liked coolant. It
disentigrated when I removed it. I took a piece of wood, and a hammer and
ever so slightly ;) tapped my line over toward the engine a bit, and put the stock
hose back on. Perfect fix.

#2) This one stems from having to remove it a couple of times, and put it back
on. The coupler that goes between the two pieces no longer likes me. I guess the
bands that are like the hose clamps have refused to tighten anymore. I squeezed
the tightening assembly back together a bit with pliers, and got one more tightening
out of them, but I don't think they will last another. Will probably have to go with
a silicone coupler, and hose clamps next time I remove it.

#3) The noises this thing makes... people are always looking at me. Sounds too badass.
Attracts too much attention. :D

~castrol

·
Registered
332 Posts
*edit*

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have had the same above mentioned problems.

-Coolant hose problem (Thankfully the leak was caught during and car wash/engine cleaning) *When I get my car back i am going to attempt to bend the coolant supply line, I am just hoping it doesn't crack or snap off. (F**k that would piss me off)

-Rubber shock absorber thingy has the wrong threads

-The chrome looking coupler cover that has the hose clamps on it no longer tightens. When I get my car back and re-install the intake I am going to remove the chorme cover and just use the black rubber coupler by itself.

-My turbo to CAI coupler split and I had to wait for a replacement. Don't ask I have no idea how.

-I have also noticed (like previously mentioned) that the intake has to squeeze between the battery and engine. I am considering putting that section in my vise to narrow it a little.

A little more R&D could have been performed on it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think thats what Ray wants guys. Please when responding can you leave the snide remarks out? The Intakes were flying off the shelves from all vendors and Testing I bet wasnt done on hardly any of them. IPP is trying to fix the issues so give them constructive feedback and they will be able to do so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I love the sound and my tires def spin a little easier now :)
The only problem I had was that the shock absorbing stud (rubber cylinder with threads on both sides) aparently was the wrong thread and wouldnt screw into the battery tray so we had to retap the tray to the right thread. Other than that, I love it and fitment didnt seem to bad at all, just real close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too had the coolant hose problem, but that seems to be fixed now. I just took out my battery to install the bushings that I got with my STS and i decided to take the cai off to inspect it again. It seems the rubber connector is split on my system as well so I'm not too happy about that. I do like the extra noise my car makes now as you can hear the bypass stock valve working.

I am almost thinking of installing the stock induction system back on, all i need to do is find all of the parts. My intake pipe seems to be hot now too even though i have fixed the hose. When I first put the system on, that didn't seem to be a problem. The heat must be coming from the turbo housing through to the cai pipe or something. Not having a good connection there anymore could be causing a lot of my problems as far as inconsistent boost as my intake temps are probaby getting too high and the puter is lowering my boost.

If anybody has any suggestions about how to fix the turbo to cai pipe connector, or what a good replacement is, please let me know. I will need to get my car driving again for work tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
hmmmm...... i havent had ne problems with mine (had it almost 5 months) it does fit for crap but once its in its in. im bout to swap bov's so i guess ima have to look to see if its rubbing the turbo. if so the ipp is out.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ray is the upgraded section your making going to incorporate a new turbo to CAI coupler? New as in Silicone instead of rubber?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts