Dodge SRT Forum banner
481 - 500 of 527 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
The spacer should help. 235 45 17s are a little tall for the neons. I always had my best luck with 245 40 17s and 35 to 38 offset which can be adjusted by a spacer. I think I might have some old pics of my 05 if I can find them somewhere around here. Stowaway will always lead you in the safest direction. Helped me alot in the past.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
Just an update. Pretty bummed but it is what it is.

I am still rubbing even after getting my front fenders rolled. Its a lot less but going over certain bumps/crevices it happens or hitting turns at a good amount of speed. Found out I am rubbing slightly in the rear too on the passenger side. Rubber getting stuck up in the rear fender and I am not that low at all. As you can see:

So I did some research to compare the sizes with a tire calculator I found online.

Tire Size Comparison | Comparison of tires and wheels

Comparing my current 235/45/17 to a 225/45/17

Tire diameter:25.3 inch 25 inch
Sidewall height:4.2 inch 4 inch
Rolling circum: 79.6 inch 78.5 inch

Would .3'' be enough to help out?

Another size I saw a member running on BC coilovers and the same size RPF1's (17x8 +35).. 245/40/17

Tire diameter: 25.3 inch 24.7 inch
Sidewall height: 4.2 inch 3.9 inch
Rolling circum: 79.6 inch 77.6 inch

So .6'' more clearance with that size. Which is what I am leaning towards in getting.

Ride height difference -0.31 inch. Not sure if that matters or not when it comes to rubbing because my car will sit lower with the 245/40 it looks like.

· Administrator
46,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
Considering the stock 205/50-17 tires were actually 25.4" tall, and others have run these sizes, it seems like maybe the offset is wrong on the wheels. They appear to stick out more than I'm used to seeing with an 8" wide 35mm offset wheel.

Remember that you only gain half of the tire diameter in clearance.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
What is the offset on your wheels?
I listed it above. +35

Considering the stock 205/50-17 tires were actually 25.4" tall, and others have run these sizes, it seems like maybe the offset is wrong on the wheels. They appear to stick out more than I'm used to seeing with an 8" wide 35mm offset wheel.

Remember that you only gain half of the tire diameter in clearance.
According to that calculator I posted a stock 205/50/17 is 25.1'' in height.

So if I only gain half of the tire diameter in clearance I would just be gaining .3'' with a 245/40.

I will double check them. I need to take them off anyhow to inspect them. This might be stupid, but would a sticky/soft tire like a RE71R be a tad bigger in sidewall as opposed to an all seasonal?

· Administrator
46,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
That's the problem with using a stated tire size and trusting the math, sometimes the manufacturer makes them bigger/smaller than the numbers say. The BFG KDW physically measured taller than the stated 25.09" height. TireRack has true numbers on their tires, and most manufacturers list the true numbers as well. On the ACR w/ stock struts, SOME 235/40-17 tires would fit, if they were short enough. Sorry you're having this much trouble trying to get them to fit. :(

· Registered
5,462 Posts
Yeah I want to corner hard and feel how sticky these tires are. From the times I have taken a corner hard it was amazing how well they gripped. Never had a tire grip like that before.

I went on tireracks site and looked up the specs for the tire they show it at 25.4" as overall diameter. So .1'' bigger then the calculator.

Really nothing I can do at this point except to go with a shorter tire. So what size would you recommend? Have the RE71Rs up for sale now so I will take a little hit but its a learning hit. I was thinking of going with a 245/40. I do have spacers from my last set of RPF1's, but not sure if bringing the wheel out would help with anything, would make things worse IMO.

I need to double check the offset of the wheels. Pretty sure they are et 35.

· Administrator
46,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
the other option is to raise the car up and add a bit of negative camber. That'll help the clearance.

A 245/40 will be shorter, giving you about 1/4" more between the top of the tread and the fender lip, but they are wider so you lose about 1/4" clearance against the coilover and the fender. I think it's a wash. The RE-71 is a very sticky tire, so if you use the grip it'll roll and compress more, eating away at the clearance you gained by going to a shorter tire.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
the other option is to raise the car up and add a bit of negative camber. That'll help the clearance.

A 245/40 will be shorter, giving you about 1/4" more between the top of the tread and the fender lip, but they are wider so you lose about 1/4" clearance against the coilover and the fender. I think it's a wash. The RE-71 is a very sticky tire, so if you use the grip it'll roll and compress more, eating away at the clearance you gained by going to a shorter tire.
Yeah I was thinking of going with a cheaper summer performance tire. Something not as sticky as the RE71R due to that. Makes sense due to it gripping more it will compress more. Damn sticky tires.
After my BC coilovers I installed I had the car aligned with the "preferred specs" from this forum I think they are similar to the ACR specs. I cannot go any higher in the front. I have the minimum amount in my strut housing, so its as high as it can safely go on BC's. :(

Perhaps a 225/45/17 or 225/40/17?

How much shipped? Sides all rubbed off now?;)
Just the upper outer edge on the front passenger side has slight wear from rubbing, its not really on the tread just on the sidewall. I am asking $400 picked up. I would ship but you would have to pay actually shipping cost. I don't think 4 tires would be cheap to ship. My guess is around $100 or so. They retail for like $156 each. Have less then 2k miles on them.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
Took the wheel off before work a couple days ago. The powdercoat on the RPF1 blocked off the offset on the inside. 90% sure they are et35

Any who. Here is the damage it has done to the tire since I put them on. Since then I have got the fenders rolled. So it is way less. I could swap the rear to the front to see if it still damaging the tire.

This was the main culprit I noticed.

Excuse the dirty car. I got my grinder out and grinded it down just a tad so it was flush with the front fascia. Didn't take much off at all but I am sure it will help

· Registered
3,453 Posts
s3*ps2 I've never heard of the coilovers having a minimum amount threaded. Can you talk more about this? Is there a certain number of threads? I don't remember reading about that anywhere. Now you have me reluctant to raise it. I KNOW i can at least do half an inch. I think in the ride height thread 14'' in the rear and 13.75 front was a good suggestion to not hit bumpstops and for decent suspension travel. Stow, do you have any new information to add or suggestions besides ditching the BC coilovers themselves?
My springs rates are double of what BC ships out so I doubt I'd hit the bumpstops in a hard corner.

https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f59/effective-ride-height-642619/

· Administrator
46,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
You can use a taller spring to go along with a change in ride height and spring rate to maintain wheel travel before hitting the bumpstop. Ideally you'd have more stroke in the shock before even mounting it in the car, but that's another story. If you use the stock bc springs and don't do a lot of preload you can end up on the bumpstop. The length of the threaded body is what's limiting owners of most coilovers from running good ride heights, but a longer spring will theoretically push the upper mount higher and let you run more preload but still have travel before hitting the bumpstops.

The kw/mopar design is to increase ride height you do effectively add preload. It's not the end of the world in terms of ride quality, but it's something to consider.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
I couldn't tell ya if he used longer springs or not when Feal rebuilt mine. They used swift springs. Car is a different animal. Hitting a bump mid corner doesn't upset the car like it used to.

· Registered
5,462 Posts
s3*ps2 I've never heard of the coilovers having a minimum amount threaded. Can you talk more about this? Is there a certain number of threads? I don't remember reading about that anywhere. Now you have me reluctant to raise it. I KNOW i can at least do half an inch. I think in the ride height thread 14'' in the rear and 13.75 front was a good suggestion to not hit bumpstops and for decent suspension travel. Stow, do you have any new information to add or suggestions besides ditching the BC coilovers themselves?
My springs rates are double of what BC ships out so I doubt I'd hit the bumpstops in a hard corner.

https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f59/effective-ride-height-642619/

https://www.srtforums.com/forums/f163/bc-coilover-maximum-height-adjustment-526277/ Needs to be so much threaded body into the strut bracket for safety. I have the fronts maxed out. With 80mm in there.

130mm total of the housing -80mm and I measured 50mm up from the bottom of the strut.

· Premium Member
6,887 Posts
Stow your thoughts on the following tire, please.:smile: 95% plus street/weekend/events driving. 1-2 visits to a drag strip but no dumping the clutch at the lights. 450 (street)-650(track)HP at times.
Thanks.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All-Season Radial Tire - 225/45ZR17 94Y
Continental ExtremeContact Sport Performance Radial Tire - 225/45ZR17 91W
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 Radial Tire - 255/40R17 94Z
Michelin 69020 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ Performance Radial Tire - 225/45R17 94V
Nitto NT555 G2 Performance Radial Tire - 225/45ZR17 94W
Firestone 12105 Firehawk Indy 500 Performance Radial Tire - 225/45R17 94W
Nitto INVO High Performance Tire - 225/45R17 91Z
Toyo Tire Extensa High Performance All Season Tire - 215/45R17 91V
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position - Size: 225/45R17
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Size: 225/45ZR17

481 - 500 of 527 Posts