Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem and posted about it a while back with a 0016 code. It was determined that the crank was off one tooth when i set my new timing belt up. This weekend was spent retiming the engine and the new problem i have is the timing belt keeps walking off the tensioner and then the exhaust cam. I went a head and rotated the engine by hand at least 6-ish times because i wanted to make sure it was fully intime, but this belt issue has me worried.
I searched for this kind of issue before making this post, but basically all of them lead to a thread with no explanation, or is not similar to my issue.
a little more background info:
the main cast bracket is out of the car so i could get to all the stuff i needed to do the timing. I know one of the bolts go through this bracket and through the tensioner, holding it into place. Could this be why it likes to walk off as it does ? Because its not completely bolted down ?
Also i did not have this problem before resetting timing. the belt stayed very flush to the back of the cams, WP, OP, and tnesioner. its the same belt, and is still extremely tight. The engine has been started a few times, but hasn't been driven any where and hasn't been taken about maybe 3k. So i don't believe its a stretched belt. But i cant find any real solid info on this.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
When you did the timing, did you pull any of the pulleys off? I know the belt walking can be an issue if the crank sprocket isnt on the crank far enough/ or on too far. However, if you didnt move it then it would be odd for this issue to show up now. Anyways, this is usually an indication that some part of what the belt touches is out of alignment with the other pulleys/sprockets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning,
No, I didn't have to remove any pully other drive pulley for the alternator/power steering. However this was done when I replaced it. This go round I just retimed the engine and didn't have to remove anything other than the giant cast bracket. At this point I do not have the cast bracket back in place. So the one bolt that goes through the bracket and tensioner I do not have it in. So I'm wondering if because that one bolt isn't in, it isn't flat against the block.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
Two things were going on with this issue.
One: the tensioner with the bolt out was allowing the belt to walk a little, one I placed a bolt inside it to hold fast and to spec, it was minimalized.
Two: the tensioner it's self was to tight. Once I got that squared away, perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
mreyn17
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing