Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, i hear a ticking/rattling type noise while under full boost in higher rpms coming from engine area. I know its not the boost gauge cause I can here from outside when I have the window down. I'm not sure if its the engine pulling timing, detention or somthing else. maybe its normal. it doesnt happen all the time, just when i really step on it. any ideas guys?

my mods are stage 1, agp wga and other stuff. i'm boosting about 18ish

·
Registered
270 Posts
I Get the same thing, It is a Rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the Turbo. At full boost I can hear it clearly. Also When I pop the hood I can hear a slight rattling noise coming from the turbo.
The car runs fine though.
Any ideals.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mean9reenMachine said:
sounds like detonation...do you have a wideband? your a/f ratios may be in the 15's:wah?!: if you are hearing sounds like that under WOT.
Thats what I was thinking. No i dont have a wideband, I know I need one.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to run 100 octane mixture (1 gallon for every full tank of gas) in my car, but I havent put any in for awhile now. I should put some in and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
possibilities

1) exhaust leak
2) valve (lifter bad?)
3) injectors

these would make a "ticking/rattling" noise

If you free rev the engine (not to redline - just a quick blip to maybe 3 k), do you hear this noise, or is it only under load?

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
wooden said:
Like the title says, i hear a ticking/rattling type noise while under full boost in higher rpms coming from engine area. I know its not the boost gauge cause I can here from outside when I have the window down. I'm not sure if its the engine pulling timing, detention or somthing else. maybe its normal. it doesnt happen all the time, just when i really step on it. any ideas guys?

my mods are stage 1, agp wga and other stuff. i'm boosting about 18ish
its the pin that holds the waste gate arm, it rattles. my buddies does it all the time when he gets on the the throttle pretty hard. see if it is a little loose.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TomC3 said:
1) exhaust leak
2) valve (lifter bad?)
3) injectors

these would make a "ticking/rattling" noise

If you free rev the engine (not to redline - just a quick blip to maybe 3 k), do you hear this noise, or is it only under load?
it will only do it under load, and it dosent do it all the time. seems more noticeable in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i put 1 gallon of 100 octane in when a filled the tank up. Car runs better but still does it. I was mad though 100 octane went up to $6.99 a gallon, before it was $4.99 a gallon. o well. I think I really need a wideband to fix this problem.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mean9reenMachine said:
can you take it to a shop that has a dyno? Just do some baseline runs and see what your a/f's are...
i've been wanting to get on a dyno for about a year now, maybe i'll make it to the st motorsport one coming up. The hot weather and really crapping gas out here in california, is probably why my car is running crappy

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just turn down the boost. When you are able to measure a/f, be it dyno or wideband, you can tune safely.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I agree with everyone, as it could be alot of things. But if you are detonating, you really need to be careful and get a wideband soon. you could really do alot of damage fast. i know you probably already know that but just in case
Take every safety precaution you can.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
mine was doing this and i dynoed it and i was mid 13's by 3500 rpms.. lol i cant amagine if i kept going. threw some fule at it and problem whent away.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Jmhm17 said:
mine was doing this and i dynoed it and i was mid 13's by 3500 rpms.. lol i cant amagine if i kept going. threw some fule at it and problem whent away.
wow really? :stab: would a stage1 assist w/ fatting that up? well, maybe not in your case... running 12s lol... but...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts