Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 500 miles on my car I decided to give it a whirl by accelerating speedily and hitting 5k rpm. I shifted into first and gunned it and when I shifted into second at 5000 RPM there was a noticable thud sound. I am pretty new to manual transmissions in general and my shifting might not be the greatest, but I remeber some one mentioning that when they're motor mount went out that they heard a thud when they shifted. I was wondering if this 'thud' was piss poor driving on my part or if it is anything I should be concerned about. This was the first time I have heard the thud. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm totally new to driving a stick. I've thunked my tranny a few times, and I know it can't be good. I am guessing that either I've let the clutch out too fast, or I wasn't revving high enough, or something...

I keep getting a lurch when I downshift from 5th-3rd at 60mph on the freeway, but I smoothed it out by going a BIT slower on the clutch and revving higher.

Just be careful, I think when you get excited you jump off the clutch too quick and don't gas it enough in between shifts. At least, that's what it was in my case, I think :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
srt4evah said:
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm totally new to driving a stick. I've thunked my tranny a few times, and I know it can't be good. I am guessing that either I've let the clutch out too fast, or I wasn't revving high enough, or something...

I keep getting a lurch when I downshift from 5th-3rd at 60mph on the freeway, but I smoothed it out by going a BIT slower on the clutch and revving higher.

Just be careful, I think when you get excited you jump off the clutch too quick and don't gas it enough in between shifts. At least, that's what it was in my case, I think :D

Omg its nice to know I am not alone in this vast sea of new(ness) :p. I have been driving a stick now for about 4-5 days and have gotten pretty good when I try and drive smooth. Its when I try and go 'fast' that things get a little rougher :x :oops: :lol: :mrgreen: Wow those emoticons are fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,028 Posts
Yah, I'm on day 6 of driving stick myself. I can drive fine, but every now and then I F* it up.

So far like 3-4 times I wasn't paying attention to my RPMs, and that damn redline comes up SO FAST. I bounced it off the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd more than a few times so far...

Also, today I was shifting kinda aggressively, and I let off the clutch too quick between 2nd and 3rd, and bounced the shifter off of the gate trying to get into third. It went SCRAAACRRRKK and bounced back at me... ohhh that made me fell bad... I hope my car lasts to 10,000 miles!

I'm not sure what's bad, and what's kinda basic. The lurches, a bit of stuttering here and there, that may be typical driver behavior for all I know. This being my first stick, I don't know what's REALLY bad, and what's no big deal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
srt4evah said:
Yah, I'm on day 6 of driving stick myself. I can drive fine, but every now and then I F* it up.

So far like 3-4 times I wasn't paying attention to my RPMs, and that damn redline comes up SO FAST. I bounced it off the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd more than a few times so far...

Also, today I was shifting kinda aggressively, and I let off the clutch too quick between 2nd and 3rd, and bounced the shifter off of the gate trying to get into third. It went SCRAAACRRRKK and bounced back at me... ohhh that made me fell bad... I hope my car lasts to 10,000 miles!

I'm not sure what's bad, and what's kinda basic. The lurches, a bit of stuttering here and there, that may be typical driver behavior for all I know. This being my first stick, I don't know what's REALLY bad, and what's no big deal...
Heh I know what you mean. Today and yesterday were the days I started getting really comfortable with normal stick driving. I havent ground any gears except when I could have SWORN I was in gear but I wasnt totally in gear and it threw the shifter back out at me. I keep wondering too when my clutch is going to burn out due to all the starting on hills and trying to slowly ease up my driveway into my garage. And remeber if anything horrible goes wrong there is always the warrenty! :D . This is also my first FWD car and when I make turns and give it a bit of gas I break the tires free and almost instantly hit redline which is SO annyoning when I am trying to stay below 4k rpm for the break in. One thing is for sure: I don't want to hear that Thunk again. :lol: Sorry about any grammar errors and the fact that this entire post makes no sense, I havent slept in a LONG time :lol: :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
srt4evah said:
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm totally new to driving a stick. I've thunked my tranny a few times, and I know it can't be good. I am guessing that either I've let the clutch out too fast, or I wasn't revving high enough, or something...

I keep getting a lurch when I downshift from 5th-3rd at 60mph on the freeway, but I smoothed it out by going a BIT slower on the clutch and revving higher.

Just be careful, I think when you get excited you jump off the clutch too quick and don't gas it enough in between shifts. At least, that's what it was in my case, I think :D
First off depending what speed your cruising at, its better to go from 5th-4th with the gearing. Otherwise, going from 5th-3rd your gonna have to rev it pretty high, to not get it to lurch.

You really don't have to give it gas at all in between shifts, I don't ever...thats just a faster way to wear out the clutch IMO. Only time I do is when I powershift it :twisted:

The gate isn't all that user friendly to anyone who hasn't driven stick, it took me a day to get used to it myself.

Define lurches? Do you mean when you shift fast the front end dips? Or does it dip and jerk abit?

When you shift fast, just about any car dips forward, this actually cuases my keys to rattle sometimes :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
IPaidForThisName said:
srt4evah said:
Yah, I'm on day 6 of driving stick myself. I can drive fine, but every now and then I F* it up.

So far like 3-4 times I wasn't paying attention to my RPMs, and that damn redline comes up SO FAST. I bounced it off the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd more than a few times so far...

Also, today I was shifting kinda aggressively, and I let off the clutch too quick between 2nd and 3rd, and bounced the shifter off of the gate trying to get into third. It went SCRAAACRRRKK and bounced back at me... ohhh that made me fell bad... I hope my car lasts to 10,000 miles!

I'm not sure what's bad, and what's kinda basic. The lurches, a bit of stuttering here and there, that may be typical driver behavior for all I know. This being my first stick, I don't know what's REALLY bad, and what's no big deal...
Heh I know what you mean. Today and yesterday were the days I started getting really comfortable with normal stick driving. I havent ground any gears except when I could have SWORN I was in gear but I wasnt totally in gear and it threw the shifter back out at me. I keep wondering too when my clutch is going to burn out due to all the starting on hills and trying to slowly ease up my driveway into my garage. And remeber if anything horrible goes wrong there is always the warrenty! :D . This is also my first FWD car and when I make turns and give it a bit of gas I break the tires free and almost instantly hit redline which is SO annyoning when I am trying to stay below 4k rpm for the break in. One thing is for sure: I don't want to hear that Thunk again. :lol: Sorry about any grammar errors and the fact that this entire post makes no sense, I havent slept in a LONG time :lol: :shock:
Depending on what warranty you have, certain "wear" parts ie brake pads, shoes etc, and including the clutch are not covered. I'm pretty sure the clutch isn't.

Your not gonna eat the clutch by riding it once and a while, unless you drive around town half the time on the clutch and gas :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
sounds like your beating the piss outta your motor mounts .. i did the same thing once .. thats why i bought the new mounts .. to save the cost of repair later
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
thispainisours
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top