Dodge SRT Forum banner

Throw out bearing noise

14K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  MASSSRT 
#1 ·
Yeah. So i am sitting here drinking. Then I thought to myself. Self. You posted a thread in the drive train discussions about clutch stuff. And self no one answered. So I once again started thinking to myself. Self. Ask these nice guy's from the mass section....... Ok mass section! Here is what I and myself had posted.

My throw out bearing is making noise. I am hoping for the current update on whats the preferred set up and good ideas. I would love to push this thing into the 400+ range as I miss the power. So i figure as a daily driver and eventually family car what is a good clutch, flywheel, and fork set up etc. to go with. I am sure this is a common question and I am sorry. Looking for opinions and facts. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Ok not the exact quote but you get the idea. Thanks for any help to "Us" (me and apparently my self) :dude::malee: One last thing. Has any one ever performed this task?

#4 ·
Ok act hd. Great. Would you recommend an aluminum flywheel?

You mentioned flywheel bolts, clutch release fork from Dodge, Modern Performance is good, a new pivot ball also. Aren't these already in the car? I have done clutch jobs on rear wheel drive cars and just reused these items.

The noise comes just as I put my foot on the clutch a little bit. I tried spraying some lube on the bearing (very little a couple time so as not to get any on the clutch) and it has gotten a bit better but I hate having that noise. Makes me feel neglectful:crying:.

How long does this take to do this job? Is a lift required?

#5 ·
Their kits come with a pro lite flywheel.
You can reuse flywheel bolts if you really want, but its a good idea to get new ones, but yes, you do use the same ones.

You will most likely need the fork, as they wear down, and yes they are already on the car. If you wanna drop the clutch and then check them out you can, just sucks if they are worn out and you dont have them. Definitely get the pivot ball though, only like $9 at the dealer. Its a plastic nylon piece, not worth leaving the old one, though I have done it haha.

Damn howd you get grease on it, the viewer underneath?

Dont need a lift, but you will need to raise the car up to slide the trans out. Harbor freight trans jack will save a lot of hassle.

Average I'd say 8-10 hours, possibly 6 if you bust ass and everything comes apart and goes together like butter.

#9 ·
I run the ACT Extreme 6 puck. Mine chatters yes, all did, my stock did, then I had 2 Spec 3 plus street discs, and a Clutchmasters Stage 4, all chattered.

As for vibrations, I havent noticed that. Harsh engagement in the 6 pucks, but never any strange vibrations.

Every clutch out there is going to have some stories, I found them all pretty decent, I over powered the Clutch Masters in a week, and went with ACT to hold the power I put down. ACT has been around for quite awhile and I've heard the least issues with them.

But both my spec 3 plus street discs lasted longer than I thought they would and I like the ACT I have now.

#10 · (Edited)
A few of us here have either the HD or XT sprung 6 puck and I havent heard anything bad. (If there is an issue with the street discs I havent heard it, but most posts are gonna be about problems) And I've heard mostly good about Clutch Masters fx700 if you stay under 400hp.

I should edit, the ACT HD kit most popular, street disc or 6 puck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.