Dodge SRT Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Im bringing this from the grave again. Having the same type of issue but it doesnt happen constantly. About every time I drive but not the whole time. Replace IAC and jiggling wires does nothing to the TPS and IAC.
Redo the TPS. My situation of just experiencing light throttle on decel turned into car going WOT on the highway...had to pull the key and kill it. New rewire (longer wires provided in the kit so they aren't stretched) fixed the problem and then it came back after a couple of years. Replaced the sensor, harness and wires that time and it never came back.

Reactions: HybridKid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unplug your IAC. It won't hang if that is the problem, but your car will idle like crap until it warms up and the check engine light will come on.
I have a 04 Neon Srt4 and while driving if I let off the gas or press clutch peddle in the rpms will hang and take a little while to go down and when I come to a complete stop the idle goes way down car almost stalls then it goes back to normal it has stalled once I have granatelli wires and ngk 4306 plugs gapped at .24 has big 57 trim Garrett turbo I have moved wires to iac and tps and nothing when i unplug iac and tps car stalls and when i unplug iac with car off it wont even start car has a slight hesitation i just dont no what to do anymore i even cleaned my aftermarket throttle body out and still does it any ideas

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I have a 04 Neon Srt4 and while driving if I let off the gas or press clutch peddle in the rpms will hang and take a little while to go down and when I come to a complete stop the idle goes way down car almost stalls then it goes back to normal it has stalled once I have granatelli wires and ngk 4306 plugs gapped at .24 has big 57 trim Garrett turbo I have moved wires to iac and tps and nothing when i unplug iac and tps car stalls and when i unplug iac with car off it wont even start car has a slight hesitation i just dont no what to do anymore i even cleaned my aftermarket throttle body out and still does it any ideas
What throttlebody do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unplug your IAC. It won't hang if that is the problem, but your car will idle like crap until it warms up and the check engine light will come on.
When I unplug mine car stalls and wont run if I unplug it while car is off then car wont start mine had a problem idle would be erratic when stopped at a light and revs would hang when driving and let off or press in clutch but changed tps sensor amd now it dont do it when I stop but still does while moving I wiggled wires to iac and tps no change sprayed brake cleaner everywhere to check for vaccume leak and nothing cleaned iac sensor checked pcv valve and it's good I dont know what else to do any ideas would be great also has a hesitation when let off gas for a slight second and when taking off sometimes

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have checked it tho took it off cleaned it and everything could it be o2 sensor

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Have you done a boost leak test? The intake manifold gasket is paper and known to fail which can cause idle issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you done a boost leak test? The intake manifold gasket is paper and known to fail which can cause idle issues.
I wouldn't even know what gasket to get idk wat tb I have plus I tested vaccume by spraying brake cleaner even on that and no change in the way it ran

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I dont have a boost leak tester but my boost guage at idle is -19 -20 and it boosts fine
while thats good to know, it doesnt tell you the whole story. a boost leak test is a must.

I wouldn't even know what gasket to get idk wat tb I have plus I tested vaccume by spraying brake cleaner even on that and no change in the way it ran
I'm referring to the gasket between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

IF YOU TAKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF TO CHECK THIS GASKET, GO AHEAD AND REPLACE IT AND BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU BOLT THE INTAKE BACK TO THE HEAD!!!!!

Not trying to yell, but trying to stress the importance of this to you as the manifolds are known to crack on people who tighten them down too much or unevenly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WoWouldn'u be able to tell if its leaking by spraying brake cleaner on it while running if engine doesn't change it's fine
while thats good to know, it doesnt tell you the whole story. a boost leak test is a must.

I'm referring to the gasket between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

IF YOU TAKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF TO CHECK THIS GASKET, GO AHEAD AND REPLACE IT AND BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU BOLT THE INTAKE BACK TO THE HEAD!!!!!

Not trying to yell, but trying to stress the importance of this to you as the manifolds are known to crack on people who tighten them down too much or unevenly.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
WoWouldn'u be able to tell if its leaking by spraying brake cleaner on it while running if engine doesn't change it's fine
in theory, yes. But from personal experience, that method doesn't work very well. Being that these cars are turbo charged, their system is designed to be compressed. I'd bet you would be amazed at where all air leaks out if you got a good tester on there.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
btw. snap a picture or two of the throttlebody and we can tell you what brand it is.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
In for pictures. Aftermarket throttles bodies are usually junk and have issues. and some of the MPX ones are known to let the screws out and cause horrible damage to the motor!

I had a hanging idle problem when cruising at times. Ol Duster360 told me to get rid of the MPX 62mm TB that was on my car and put a stock one on. Did that, no more problems.
And +1 for a boost leak test. So easy to do and its an adventure tracking down leaks. Really stupid not to do a boost leak test on these cars regularly.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts