Dodge SRT Forum banner
481 - 500 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
ok so whats the cause of this problem? I am too lazy to read all the posts lol...ive been dealing with it for almost 3 years now...dealer wont do anything cause its intermittent..i can go as long as months then i will have a week where it does it everyday...all my wires were checked and are fine...my car even revs when its stopped until i push in the clutch....whats the deal?...im just lost

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a problem similar to that. me and my boys cant figure out what it is. My car idles at 1000 rpms once im stopped. but when im drivin the car goes by itself once rpm drop to about 2000. then when im drivin and put the car in neutral its holds at 2 then i step on the brakes and the rpms drop then go up for a few seconds then go back down to 1000. i replaced the tps sensor and tps wires. still doing it.. any advice?
Pull the connector off of the IAC.
It will throw a code, but it can fix some of the bad idle/bad neutral RPM problems.
I actually drove around for months with the IAC disconnected.

If it does fix your RPM problems, replace the IAC and/or the wiring to the IAC.
(Since you've already replaced the TPS and TPS wiring.)

This is what my problem ended up being the second time I had issues with idle RPM, etc.
I replaced the TPS wiring and TPS sensor before getting around to the IAC as the culprit.
The first time I had idle issues ended up being a crack in my intake manifold gasket... which was accompanied by some lovely high pitched whistling at times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the solution

i had this exact same problem and it is one of the wires going into the harness that plugs into the tps. if you open the hood and mess with the 3 wires going into the harness by moving them around (while the car is running) you will notice the car wants to choke out and idles all over the place. inside the coating the wire tends to frey apart because of the way that it is bent. open up the wire and either solder it or somehow make a better connection and your problem will be solved

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
great thread, however only a handful of posts actually had any useful information. 30 pages later this is what i needed to know to fix the problem:

TPS Sensor- part # 4606196 ($68)
Wiring Harness - part # 5019961-AA ($36)

i probably got overcharged for both parts because Planet Dodge is a complete ripoff, but at least i found a reasonable mechanic to install them for me. good luck to anyone else experiencing this problem....

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I thought I had a wiring / TPS problem and after much bullshit and a wasted trip to the dealer I found out I had a bad intake gasket. Which mimic'd the high idle of a tps problem, but I also had a misfire at idle, which I thought was a separate issue.
Really the dead give away should have been the fact that I could smell gas after getting to boost.
Just another thing to inspect if you are having issues.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just noticed at the drive threw that my car has like a little fast rev. While seating there it raises a couple hundred RPM and then drops down. Almost like I was resting my foot on the gas pedal and then going o shit and letting of. It doesn't rev very high though. Could this be the TPS problem it doesn't seem to be the symptoms.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ok as everyone else on here i have the same problems but i went and messed with the wires going to the tps and nothing happened but then i figured why not check everything..... went to mess with the MAP sensor wires and when i do... it starts to choke out so im gonna try to see whats up with that and ill send in updates if i find anything.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
This problem sounds like it could be the intake manifold gasket!!!! Vacuum leak causing rpm to raise!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
in my case it seems like a bad throttle body. Possibly a bad throttle cable but i doubt it. I will be coming up to a light and the car will act as if im gently pressing on the gas... idle will raise to about 2k rpm. If i blip the throttle then it will drop to normal idle most of the time. It seems as if the TB is sticking open, so im going to remove it and clean it and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had this happen to me today. It turned out to be my PCV line from the PCV Valve to the intake manifold. It was cracked! So i just installed my BWoody Catch Can and Check Valve & everything is great!!! Not sticking anymore!!!! Doesn't raise up or get stuck!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
just fixed my 3k rev issues last night! finally!! it turned out to be my IAC sensor. i read somewhere to blow through it to check. Well when i took mine out i could easily blow through it. when i got the new sensor i couldn't blow through it at all. (i didn't try very hard) but replaced it for new and BAM. cars back to normal.

Things i fixed replaced.
- new TPS
- new harness on the TPS and the IAC. (my IAC looked very flimsy)
- removed catch can and check valve for possible causes.
- replaced PCV
- checked the intake manifold for leaks with carb cleaner.
- check for vacuum leaks in all hoses, but turns out the sensor had the leak.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
I was having the same problem, stuck idle until a complete stop. Did the TPS rewire, and it didn't go away. Just unplugged the IAC and no more problem. Does this mean the sensor is bad, or just the wiring?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was having the same problem, stuck idle until a complete stop. Did the TPS rewire, and it didn't go away. Just unplugged the IAC and no more problem. Does this mean the sensor is bad, or just the wiring?
Had the same problem but had to do IAC Rewire!

I thought i had to do the TPS Rewire but if i moved the IAC wire & idle would stumble!!!

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
I had the same problem over four weeks ago and replace both the IAC sensor and rewire it since it more of a upside down 'u' bend that overtime will fail based on engine dynamics (heat, engine movement with solid mounts, and oil residue in the sensor).

[IF YOU PLAN TO PURCHASE NEW TPS SENSOR] To save money, Rock Auto actualy sales the OEM one cheaper than the local dealer. The TPS OEM is manufactured by Standard Product and do not purchase the cheaper version made by the other company. The poly carbon material is used for a wise purpose of heat and weather issues. The other one is cheap plastic and does not seal properly. Also, when purchasing a new TPS, add an 'o' ring to prevent air and other type of residue. The o ring can be purchased at Pep Boys.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
I had the same problem over four weeks ago and replace both the IAC sensor and rewire it since it more of a upside down 'u' bend that overtime will fail based on engine dynamics (heat, engine movement with solid mounts, and oil residue in the sensor).

[IF YOU PLAN TO PURCHASE NEW TPS SENSOR] To save money, Rock Auto actualy sales the OEM one cheaper than the local dealer. The TPS OEM is manufactured by Standard Product and do not purchase the cheaper version made by the other company. The poly carbon material is used for a wise purpose of heat and weather issues. The other one is cheap plastic and does not seal properly. Also, when purchasing a new TPS, add an 'o' ring to prevent air and other type of residue. The o ring can be purchased at Pep Boys.
mine is in that U shape. I'm going to order the rewire first.

481 - 500 of 529 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.