Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this some time ago. A lot of folks advised to take it in. Given that it is an intermittant problem. I did not just want to give it to the dealer for repeated joyrides until I got lucky and they could duplicate it.

It happens maybe once, twice a week, lasts for maybe 10 minutes.
I have pinned down some more syptoms/indications.

1. No apparent trigger, outside temp/engine temp, full throttle runs, low power runs, I have seen it happen under all variations.

2. At some point, with the trans not engaged (clutch in, in gear, clutch out, in neutral) the engie will rev to exactly 3k.

3. As long as I do not engage the clutch, the engine will stay at 3K.

4. Until the car comes to a complete stop. Then it drops to normal idle RPM immediatly. (I see a speed sensor/ECU tie in here)

5. If , while it is happening, I engage the trans, the load will drop the rpms down to the 2.2 - 2.3 K range and act like a cruise control.
On a level road, 5th gear will maintain exactly 57 mph.

6. It happened during lunch today for the longest time ever, through 8-10 stops on the way home for lunch, continued after it was turned off while I ate lunch. After lunch, since it was still happening, I went straight to the dealer. Like an idiot, I turned it off while I talked to the service guy. Of course, when I took the mechanic out to the car, it refused to do it :mad:

He drove it with me for 10 minutes, the problem of course would not surface.

The service manager was interested, insisted it had to be the throttle plate sticking. When I mentioned that the idle would not drop until the speedo reached zero and only zero, he just kept insisting it had to be the throttle plate. I told them I would try and bring it in next time it happens, and not turn it off this time.

And no codes, ever.

Ideas? Comments, besides take it in.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IAC, youre talking Chevy talk there, boy!!!!!! Actually, I'm not sure what we have that acts like an IAC. And I have no idea how it's interfaced with the ECU as pertains to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
On my chevys, if the IAC is acting up, it usually is indicated by the engine more slowly responding to idle commands, like keeping a high idle after warmup or not keeping a high idle during warmup. But for it to act like this, through all these conditions (outside air temps from 0-100, engine temps from cold to normal) it would seem to be possessd.
If it only didn't just return to normal ops in a short while, I could have it figured out. But the second that speedo drops to zero, it behaves normally until you get the speedo above 3-5 mph. I have tried like a hundred times to stop, get out and look under the hood, but it drops that quick.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
U do know that there were some bad tps reported on here?
DO a search on Hemi....he had his done. Is there a TSB out on the tps?

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll pull that search, don't remember it, the mech looked for TSBs, didn't find any.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i had that problem along with rough idle, about 2 weeks ago. i took it to the dealership and according to them it was "a loose ground wire". they fixed it right away so i guess it was true. it runs fine now.....have ur dealership check yours

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have had the same problem. There is nothing I can do to replicate it. Same thing, I would try to pop my hood and look around but the problem would go away too quickly. Mine maybe happens twice a week. Hemi has had his fixed. I believe he had a wiring problem to his TPS and also had his TPS replaced. I was going to replace the TPS and see what happens. There seems to be no indication of faulty wiring on my TPS.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
GLHS837, my SRT-4 had the same exact problem but it never came & went away... It happened & wouldn't stop, so i took it in for service. The problem was in my wire harness, Dodge decided to replace the whole harness & the problem went away.

What you described above about sticking at 3k rpm is exactly what happened. After I came to a complete stop, the car would resume a normal idle.. Weird..

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
IBLIS said:
GLHS837, my SRT-4 had the same exact problem but it never came & went away... It happened & wouldn't stop, so i took it in for service. The problem was in my wire harness, Dodge decided to replace the whole harness & the problem went away.

What you described above about sticking at 3k rpm is exactly what happened. After I came to a complete stop, the car would resume a normal idle.. Weird..
we need to FAQ this problem.

I had the problem and talked to the engineer who designed and tested the SRT-4 engine.

He had the simular problem when testing the SRT car. It is nothing more than a the voltage wire that was inserted wrong conencting to the TB high sensor; done at the assembly line.

Some cars made it through and we are are the receiptant of that problem found. Though, he apologizes countless time and wanted to ensure me that the car is meeting my satisfaction.

Your codes when found will display with a P0123 and then a P0121. When replacing the wiring, also to ensure that there was no damage to the TB sensor, repalce that also.

It is nothing more than a short in the wiring connecting to the TB sensor high, in getting the correct voltage to adjust the TB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This happened when i was taking one on a test drive with a salesman. I was going around some country roads and a stop sign was coming up so i pushed the clutch in while i was slowing down. Then the engine revved up to 3k, i was like WTF is this. The salesman said hed never seen it do that before.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Started up on the way home from work, went straight down there. Dealer service hours til 530pm, I roll in at 445pm. tell the service writer that it's doing it right now, no hesitiation, he called the tech to the front ASAP. Tech comes up with the mobile scan tool. Plugs it in, drives car back and forth. I can here the idle going up, so at least they know I'm not nuts.
Tech makes a lap around the lot, and right into a bay he goes. When I ask if I can get my cell off the dash, service writer says yep. Stay and talk to growing crowd of other techs. No codes, no bad indications on the scans at all. Ahhhhrggggg!!!!! Tech sends off a fax to DCX, hope for a response tommorow. I bring the car home, we will see.

While I can't recommend Park Dodge here for buying SRT-4s (2K over, no breaks) the service guys rocked!!!!! Both times no appt (hard to schedlule an intermittant fault:) )They did great.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bust, I thought DCX called them by another three letter acronym.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Pap said:
Nice work. Keep us informed as to what exactly it is. I have not gottin a code for it either. :confused:
Trust me, if he looked at the voltage that the TB High Sensor was getting, he would of noticed something was odd.

However, keep driving it, and it will display a code.

If they have a problem, have them call Mike, service manager, at Cal Worthington Dodge in Carlsbad California. They know how to fix it.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heck, Hemi, it's been doing this for a while now, I've checked codes at least 5 or 6 times, none yet. He had the darn machine hooked up while it was happening. But maybe he did not have that value selected to look at while it was happening. I think they are hesitant to call Cals folks, maybe some sort of pride thing? Dunno. If they have not gotten a response by tomm. am, I'm going to insist (nicely) that they do so.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Heck, Hemi, it's been doing this for a while now, I've checked codes at least 5 or 6 times, none yet. He had the darn machine hooked up while it was happening. But maybe he did not have that value selected to look at while it was happening. I think they are hesitant to call Cals folks, maybe some sort of pride thing? Dunno. If they have not gotten a response by tomm. am, I'm going to insist (nicely) that they do so.
I just on kept driving it like I stole the car until the code appeared on the screen.

The big helper was the stereo system, which drained that lame battery by Mopar. :)

Have not look for a code but look at the voltage going to the TB sensors.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
hemidakota said:
I just on kept driving it like I stole the car until the code appeared on the screen.

The big helper was the stereo system, which drained that lame battery by Mopar. :)

Have not look for a code but look at the voltage going to the TB sensors.
Dude, what is a Tuberculosis sensor? I think you mean TPS-Throttle Position Sensor?:p

Yes the newer Chrysler vehicles use an IAC stepper motor. AFAIK the older computer controled carbureted and possibly earlier throttle body injected vehicles had what they called an IAS sensor (Idle Air Speed).

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, IAS, that's what I was thinking of, IAS.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
guhfluh said:
Dude, what is a Tuberculosis sensor? I think you mean TPS-Throttle Position Sensor?:p

Yes the newer Chrysler vehicles use an IAC stepper motor. AFAIK the older computer controled carbureted and possibly earlier throttle body injected vehicles had what they called an IAS sensor (Idle Air Speed).
TPS is correct but getting to the point, TB=Throttle Body (TPS) Sensor (P0123 code) is not the culprit of this problem.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.