Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just baught an SRT 2003. This thing runs but is in bad shape. Whoever messed with it should never TOUCH another car! It's got wires and vacum lines hanging loose everywhere. So one problem at a time. First up the engine is out of a PT and the water lines to the turbo are routed pt style going back through the block the return line is blocked off where it should run into the heater core and instead runs into the block. There is water leaking somewhere either from the rigged turbo lines or possibly a blown head gasket and hitting the exhaust causeing smoke to roll out of the engine bay. Could this be because the PT line is going back into the block and not where it should?

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
pictures go a long way in helping us to understand what you're seeing.

I'm a bit confused on what you're getting at. The SRT-4 and PT-GT used the exact same motor & turbo (except for intake manifold.) While i dont have personal experience working on a PT i have to figure the coolant lines would also be damn near exactly the same. The engine blocks are the same, so there isnt going to be different hook-ups for coolant.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Not sure why you "baught" a hack job of a car in the first place. Post pictures. Pressurize the coolant system to find your leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it could be minor things and honestly I hate seeing these cars hit the scrap yard. So sorry about my confusion. The lines are the same. What I was looking at is where they deleted the oil cooler and just plugged the water lines. So I drove the car for a few days. It fires right up and runs good. I notice the leak is getting worse and looks like its coming from the turbo coolant return line which looks to be rigged as well. Last time I drove it it was a 5 mile round trip I noticed it getting a little hot and running a little sluggish. I few hours later after putting coolant in it an starting it if I revved it a little there was a knock. I immediately freaked out. Started a few more times same thing. I know its an ebay clutch and when they put it in they didnt change the fork I could barely get it into gear. So as of now I have the tranny out and of course the fork is bad. The clutch looks ok but I'm thinking Southbend stage 2. Since I think its a rod bearing I'm going to check them (I have to make sure) BUT I noticed while turning the pressure plate by hand it was a little loose on the flywheel not super loose it effort but still loose. I'm hoping this is the knocking I'm hearing. SO LET ME PICK YOUR BRAIN'S! I want to check rod bearings this will determine weather I fix this car or sell for parts. The balance shaft assembly is in the way. I dont mind keeping or deleteing it but if I keep it is it hard to retime it? Also for bearings I'm thinking King bearings? And as far as turbo coolant and oil lines what are my options? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
common leak locations
2 coolant lines to the oil coiler
coolant line under the e manifold.
2 coolant lines under the intake manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts