Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never been good with mechanical skills. I can change oil, spark plugs, etc, I even installed my sts, but I promised myself I would leave engine modifications to those who knew what they were doing. Unfortunately I attempted to change out my BOV by myself. Everything started off fine, I had the first two bolts off no problem.

Then came the infamous lower-left bolt. I was having a tough time getting to it from above so I tried going underneath the turbo, but still no luck. Then I thought maybe I'd take the wga off to get a little more room, so I did. It actually did give me more room, but in the process I of trying to loosen the last bolt, I dropped the wrench. I knew I should have tied that wrench to my wrist, I was going to, but I thought,nah, I'll be fine. So I dropped it somewhere and couldn't find it. A flashlight and magnet did not help.

So I tried to resume with another 10mm wrench, but the wrench was old and stripped so no luck. By this point it was getting dark, so I had to put everything back together. But wouldn't you know, I dropped one of the wga screws. I suck...big time. So now there is a wrench and a screw somewhere around the bottom of the engine bay.

To make a long story short:

I'm an idiot
Is there an easy way to recover the screw/wrench?
Is it possible that I messed something up in the wga because it seems I'm boosting a few psi less now, maybe the arm got messed up or I messed up the vaccum lines, or the BOV isn't as tight?

At any rate, I think I need to bring the car and some of my new mods to someone who knows what they are doing, like Dave.

So...help.

And then help me decide an whether to go stage 1 pcm with stage 2 wga or stage 2 w/toys and run HOM all day.

·
Registered
815 Posts
dude sorry to hear about your troubles but it think this has happened to everyone haha i know this happened to me listen when its day light out tomorow just take your time look under the car and check under the turb im sure you will find everything just takes time. and as far as stage one or stage two thats personal opinion my opinion is that i have an 05 i need at least a stage one to boost higher then stock and have no probelms. If you have lower then a 05. then i would leave the stock pcm and do other upgrades Bruins 013 has a 04 and he runs 12.9 in drag radials. Just start with WGA then Exhaust so on and so forth but good luck Bro.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
that side of your engine bay eats stuff...you may never see them again...i dont get it. there is some quantom time/space warp in that corner, a small black hole if you will. wrenches and hardware are instantly sent accross the universe, and some poor alien on planet quep keeps having wrenches land on his front lawn.

its kinda like that commercial with the magical beer fridge

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
Tex said:
that side of your engine bay eats stuff...you may never see them again...i dont get it. there is some quantom time/space warp in that corner, a small black hole if you will. wrenches and hardware are instantly sent accross the universe, and some poor alien on planet quep keeps having wrenches land on his front lawn.

Haaa.. that is tottally right.. Let me know if you need help i'm always around..

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Good luck finding them, I've had to put my car on stands to find the stuff. I lost a 13mm stuby in the engine bay and found it 3 months later when working on the car. The exhaust manifold loves to hide things, and so does the crossmember.

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month
34,749 Posts
hahaha... i've lost (4) 10mm sockets on that side of the engine. also i've lost (1) 10mm wrench and probably a half dozen screws. i don't get it... :flame:

·
SRTforums Veteran
9,870 Posts
Ive got a 10mm wrench in the bottom of my radiator, I cant get it out but its not hurting anything so Ill just leave it be :lol:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's pretty damn frustrating thinking that there are screws and wrenches down there, lost forever. Anyone have numbers for replacement screws for the WGA, and the BOV just in case I lose some of those too.

Maybe I'll find the stuff when I have the exhaust done? Anyway, once I figure out stage 2 w/toys vs stage 1pcm/stage 2 wga, I'll PM dave and hopefully he can help a sucker like me out and I won't have anymore bad experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Creamyitalian said:
It's pretty damn frustrating thinking that there are screws and wrenches down there, lost forever. Anyone have numbers for replacement screws for the WGA, and the BOV just in case I lose some of those too.

Maybe I'll find the stuff when I have the exhaust done? Anyway, once I figure out stage 2 w/toys vs stage 1pcm/stage 2 wga, I'll PM dave and hopefully he can help a sucker like me out and I won't have anymore bad experiences.

I don't have the numbers, but I've been in your situation many times like everyone else. Hope Depot has been good for me. You can get all the bolts for the Surge Vavle/Mopar BOV there, as well as many other various ones (map sensor, o2 housing, tps, iat sensors screws and bolts).

Just bring your other WGA bolt, and one of the Surge valve bolts up there with you, and compare it to the other screws and bolts there and I gurantee you will find them.

Home Depot Racing fo' life!

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Creamyitalian said:
I've never been good with mechanical skills. I can change oil, spark plugs, etc, I even installed my sts, but I promised myself I would leave engine modifications to those who knew what they were doing. Unfortunately I attempted to change out my BOV by myself. Everything started off fine, I had the first two bolts off no problem.

Then came the infamous lower-left bolt. I was having a tough time getting to it from above so I tried going underneath the turbo, but still no luck. Then I thought maybe I'd take the wga off to get a little more room, so I did. It actually did give me more room, but in the process I of trying to loosen the last bolt, I dropped the wrench. I knew I should have tied that wrench to my wrist, I was going to, but I thought,nah, I'll be fine. So I dropped it somewhere and couldn't find it. A flashlight and magnet did not help.

So I tried to resume with another 10mm wrench, but the wrench was old and stripped so no luck. By this point it was getting dark, so I had to put everything back together. But wouldn't you know, I dropped one of the wga screws. I suck...big time. So now there is a wrench and a screw somewhere around the bottom of the engine bay.

To make a long story short:

I'm an idiot
Is there an easy way to recover the screw/wrench?
Is it possible that I messed something up in the wga because it seems I'm boosting a few psi less now, maybe the arm got messed up or I messed up the vaccum lines, or the BOV isn't as tight?

At any rate, I think I need to bring the car and some of my new mods to someone who knows what they are doing, like Dave.

So...help.

And then help me decide an whether to go stage 1 pcm with stage 2 wga or stage 2 w/toys and run HOM all day.

Welcome to my world.

·
Premium Member
10,649 Posts
Tex said:

I spit my drink out when I was reading that.:rofl: :rofl: Its so true. I lost a 10mm wrench in 03 and I just found it this winter while I was changing my oil :lol:

·
34,749 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
I spit my drink out when I was reading that.:rofl: :rofl: Its so true. I lost a 10mm wrench in 03 and I just found it this winter while I was changing my oil :lol:
i wonder how many 10mm ratchets, sockets, etc. the NED crew must find every wednesday and thursday night after we all go there. i still can't find mine and my guess is it would be on the dragway since that's the only time i really drive the car hard.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
uncommon said:
i wonder how many 10mm ratchets, sockets, etc. the NED crew must find every wednesday and thursday night after we all go there. i still can't find mine and my guess is it would be on the dragway since that's the only time i really drive the car hard.

:bs: !

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
lol i cant count the things i have lost in my engine.. the worst is the front, right above the intercooler.. dodge put that wonderfull plate down there so nothing falls through.. i lost my 8mm screwdriver bit socket thing (that craftsman says they dont sell.. even thoguh its from a craftsman toolkit :huh: ) i also lost the bolt to my coolent fillerneck.. oh that was a fun ride to lowes 5 min before they closed lol.. the list goes on.. i thought i was the only one this happend to.

·
34,749 Posts
Jabbit said:
what? i'm confused? shifting at 10,000 rpm's counts as driving the car hard? this is all news to me

EDIT: do you know how many times i've heard from a passenger in the car,"man, i would hate to be the next owner of your car?" :jester:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tex said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i believe i've lost a 10mm socket, a 13mm socket, about a dozen screws, and a few nuts down into that damn engine bay.....forgot about gas and maintence costs....all my money goes to replacing the tools my car eats. :ripped:

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
You guys are going to get me in trouble:) CI, dont sweat it, you dont suck, as you can see:) ALL mechanics have this kinda stuff happen.

When I went to replace the GLHS's broken door handle, I heard a rattle down inside the door. Fished around, and found a Snap-on 8mm box end:) Wasnt mine:)

Cars eat stuff, thats just the way it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts