Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the tease guys, but had to keep this under the covers until now. Ok, so what do we have here. MOPAR S3R turbo which was customized to our specs, i.e flow and efficency.
  • Compressor wheel upgrade
  • Turbine wheel clip with 3-point rebalance
  • Port and polish compressor inlet and turbine outlet
  • Grey ceramic coating
The compressor wheel is a wheel, sorry guys, but is capable of 49 lbs per minute. The turbo is now capable to support 500 crank H.P. on pump gas.

So why did I go this way. Well several reasons; I'm not a big fan of aftermarket big turbo's. Yeah I know you big turbo guy's, but its just personal choice for one. The tuning issues are another reason, but the underlining issue was cost. To upgrade to a big turbo would have cost approixmately 2K round numbers. This process cost me approixmately $500 and was well worth the risk and challenge.

The process and installation went without incident and the beast is back on the road for a 300 mile breakin. So far 70 miles on it and no issues. I will say this, the beast definately has a new fire in its belly and has a mean new voice. It really seems to like the CTI 3" exhaust with the improved flow.

Thank god for S3R toys and dial-a-boost. I'm currently running it in "0" or "1" to prevent excessive boost during the breakin. Just easing into boost (WOT not allowed during breakin) in "1", it jumps to 10 psi.

Other mods have been added to the car which I'll post up later, but this is one of the big gainers. If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
Holy crap ED...

I'd like to see your dyno #'s after your car is done.

You can probably hear your turbo spooling like 3 blocks over now :lol:

I want to see someone hit 400 with a ported S3R and full boltons with NO tuning...

man that would be sweet!

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTR said:
Holy crap ED...

I'd like to see your dyno #'s after your car is done.

You can probably hear your turbo spooling like 3 blocks over now :lol:

I want to see someone hit 400 with a ported S3R and full boltons with NO tuning...

man that would be sweet!
The spooling sound is totally different and a lot louder and we should be 400+ H.P.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
did you have dcr mod the manifold..it would be a shame to see such a beautiful piece of work go to waste.. looks bad ass

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
ptc01 said:
The spooling sound is totally different and a lot louder and we should be 400+ H.P.
did I mention on pump gas :readclose :thumbsup:

none of this full spool at 3100 rpm business.

I want full spool at 2500 :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grindpunk16 said:
did you have dcr mod the manifold..it would be a shame to see such a beautiful piece of work go to waste.. looks bad ass
No, but I did inspect it and everything is fine. My S3R has approximately 80 passes on it on the strip, and I'm a firm believer in turbo cool down to prevent heat stress and cracking. That's not to say that the cracking and breaking that has been reported isn't due to a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
He he he, all I have to say! Enjoy Ed!
The beast lives!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Masssilversrt4 said:
I got wood..
And a few gallons of VP C16 :lol:

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
so ar eyou going to start selling them...im looking for a new turbo

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Ed, your worse than some of these "Mod Crazed" kids out here :lol: _______5TOEZ_______Don't mind me.......im just JEALOUS :crying:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
one that dies with the most toys......................WINS! lol

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gdflys said:
So how are you tuning for the new flows?
Greg,

That's a good question. But what I'm seeing on the wide band everything looks about the same so far. I'll know more once I can go WOT. If I do anything, it will be via a clamp. I'm still waiting for the digital progressive clamp to be finished by one of the vendors out here.

I have another digital component to tie in and I'll be able to tune the various maps with the vendors’ software through my laptop. Still need to put another 200 miles on before all this happens.

One thing I'll tell you, I have an awful lot of respect for the car now. Maybe it’s because I haven't driven it since last October. That's one thing I keep telling my daughter, respect the car and its ability and you won't get into trouble.

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fivetoez said:
Ed, your worse than some of these "Mod Crazed" kids out here :lol: _______5TOEZ_______Don't mind me.......im just JEALOUS :crying:
Bruce,

I know :lol: Remember a happy heart keeps you young or at least feeling that way. But I may be turning the driving job over to my daughter and dad can be the crew chief. :eeeek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts