Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can purchase an 2000 neon for like 2500 , and I can buy a wrecked srt maybe say7 or 8 with bad suspnsion a grand on paint and an srt clone. But I'm wondering besides The engine and tranny , what (mostly suspension wise is different) . Oh did I mention cheap insurance, and a great way to learn the car in and out..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
First off your insurance woulnd't be cheaper. It would be cheaper if you didn't tell them about the motor/upgrades, but then if the car is wrecked or stolen you will only get $2,500 for the neon, not the $10k in parts. Lets add up your estimates:

2000 Neon - $2,500
Wrecked SRT-4 $8,000
Paint - $1,000
Misc parts - $3,000

Total - $14,500 without labor.

Why not spend $2,500 more and buy a used SRT-4? Because when you sell this car you spent $14,500 on it is still only worth $2,500. Not to mention warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clint Burleigh said:
If you are about to spend that much time on a project like this you should get a 1G neon. Lighter and cheaper. It would fly--and be a sleeper.
I thought about this , I allready have a 98 neon, but I figured it would be alot easier to use a 2nd gen, things would be less of a project. I know the 2.4 fits , but seems like a lot more work then the 2nd gen, plus I want it to look like a srt. Except maybe paint color :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your outlook. I do have to get some deals , i'm sure I will run into "some" extra costs , but I can't imagine 3000 (famous last words), I mean most parts ( depnding obviously on what was fucked up on the srt) will go over, if not I have the whole 2000 neon, which I can also sell the motor and tranny out of to recoup some of the costs. I also would take my chances and not tell the insurance company, calling them up today to find out the difference in price, this will be a major factor also. This is an idea still, but it might save me a few bucks, The warrenty your right on , however if i make any mods anyway , i'm screwed.

Roo said:
First off your insurance woulnd't be cheaper. It would be cheaper if you didn't tell them about the motor/upgrades, but then if the car is wrecked or stolen you will only get $2,500 for the neon, not the $10k in parts. Lets add up your estimates:

2000 Neon - $2,500
Wrecked SRT-4 $8,000
Paint - $1,000
Misc parts - $3,000

Total - $14,500 without labor.

Why not spend $2,500 more and buy a used SRT-4? Because when you sell this car you spent $14,500 on it is still only worth $2,500. Not to mention warranty.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have done a few motor swaps on my own cars and helped a lot of friends do it. In my experience there were atleast a minimum of $3,000 extra in unexpected cost. I have not done a Neon or a SRT all Mustangs so maybe it is different. Helped a guy change his V6 into a V8 with a Cobra motor and we spent almost 3x what he expected, just a heads up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
speedfunk said:
So I can purchase an 2000 neon for like 2500 , and I can buy a wrecked srt maybe say7 or 8 with bad suspnsion a grand on paint and an srt clone. But I'm wondering besides The engine and tranny , what (mostly suspension wise is different) . Oh did I mention cheap insurance, and a great way to learn the car in and out..

:huh: I can't believe you guys made anything out of this post

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude , then dont post , and keep it off the active topic :stab:
I was more asking the difference in suspension. Pretend I don't even want to do this and being that I don't own one.

leftcoastsrt04 said:
:huh: I can't believe you guys made anything out of this post

·
Registered
207 Posts
I dropped a 2.4 turbo w/ a race built auto tranny in my 96 and at 9psi I went 13.3 and didn't even launch the car. I like it because it is lighter, no one thinks it is fast, and if something happens to it-it is alot cheaper to replace parts and you don't feel bad about shit happening to it.
Everytime I park my SRT, when I come back I always walk around it to see nothing has happened to it-f 'ing annoying.

·
Registered
382 Posts
speedfunk said:
Dude , then dont post , and keep it off the active topic :crybaby:
I was more asking the difference in suspension. Pretend I don't even want to do this and being that I don't own one.

Easy there speed racer, looking for a little clarification is all. No need to fly off the deep end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts