Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an SRT and test driving them for a couple weeks now, and I'm considering going used, only because I plan on doing mods that would void the warranty anyway :eveilgrin .. so why pay sticker right? Well, I am going to look at one tomorrow, it has 22k miles on it, and its an 03 for $15500 (Im sure I can get him lower, even sub 15k). I know the 03's dont have LSD but that can be fixed, other than that, are there really any major differences between the 03, 04, and 05? What are some things I should check out engine/ powertrain wise? It still has the factory warranty and I saw it today and it appears to be in cosmetically perfect condition (Silver Metallic mmm). Apparently is was an older guy that traded it in for a Mercedes (but more times than less, you can never trust what a used car salesman says). BTW, does anybody have a any Carfax checks left before I buy one :eyebrow: ? Thanks for the help..

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
I'd say check the tire wear, clutch feel, etc. that should tell you how the car was driven. Look in the glove box for the maintance book and see if the car was dealer serviced for oil changes or anything else. I think you could take the VIN to a dodge dealer and they could look up the service history. If you want to put the 03 power equal or greater to the 04/05s, just get stage 1. after 03 dodge gave the cars the stage 1 injectors, which makes the power increase. Dont listen to the sales people...one salesmen told me that you could jam 6 cds into the stock headunit...because it has an internal changer...lol

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Just common sense stuff, like check the oil and put some on your finger and smell it, you can usually tell if he changes the oil reg. Also smell the tranny fluid same thing as oil. Drive it on a straight road and mash on the gas ans see what the boost gauge is registering, making sure that it holds boost as the stock ones do. Pull a spark plug boot and see if there is any sort of discoloring, maybe ask him/her if you can take out a spark plug and examine it.

Brian

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
look for the goddamn shift knob being loose.....(mine always pops off...common problem) look to see if the spark plug wires have any signs of melting (mine deposited carbon inside the cylinder of the engine causing some minor problems for a few weeks.....common problem) also my tps has gone bad once (i heard this was way too a common problem) .....i guess just testdrive it and see how it feels......if your going about 30 miles an hour, put it in 4th gear till the turbo spools all the way up and hold it for a few seconds......if you can feel the car kind of rocking, like mine did, it may have problems

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Although there may be no way to know, look around and make sure it looks like the WGA has never been replaced. A lot of people are randomly cranking the boost without any fuel management, avoid those cars. Check around the back heatshield for any sign that it has been removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.