Dodge SRT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Years ago I filled my torque strut and trans bushings myself with a fairly high-durometer polyurethane resin, and they've held up well. I have a newish stock mount (~5 years old) on the passenger side. The poly adds a little vibration; I'd say it just makes it feel and sound different. I'm getting old myself (55!), and the filled bushings haven't bothered me. You'll be able to feel the A/C compressor kick on! :)

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Stripped Gear.jpg
We opened up the case, and found this gear completely stripped, chunks all over the place. Still not exactly sure what we did wrong, wish I knew more about these transmissions, but then, if I did know more we probably wouldn't be having this conversation haha.

The pieces appear to all have been pulled into the end of the transmission (behind the clutch end) and bore a hole through the case there. That gear on the end of shaft got chewed up pretty bad, but oddly enough the teeth on the one it meshes with were perfect, also appears that the LSD is still good.

I'm going to mothball all of this stuff, a case with a hole in it isn't all that appealing now, you can get a good case (bad internals) pretty easy, but who knows what it will be like 20 years from now.

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Where will you purchase a built transmission. thx
After doing quite a bit of research, I went with FWD Performance.

Rebuilt t850 outright
No core, quaiffe lsd, carbon 2/3/4, new 1/2. 3/4 & 5/r forks, new bearings, modified sliders, modified extenders. Painted Silver
If all goes well, it will be interesting having my car back on the road for the first time (realistically) since like 2017. The first time it broke down it was a year before I got it back on the road, and then it was only 120 miles and the transmission failed so I don't exactly count 2018 haha.

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Years ago I filled my torque strut and trans bushings myself with a fairly high-durometer polyurethane resin, and they've held up well. I have a newish stock mount (~5 years old) on the passenger side. The poly adds a little vibration; I'd say it just makes it feel and sound different. I'm getting old myself (55!), and the filled bushings haven't bothered me. You'll be able to feel the A/C compressor kick on! :)
I'm trying to decide if I want to order and install all of these items right now, that will mean waiting a couple more days before I can get the transmission in. I'm leaning towards doing that, so I can get all of the original 17 year old rubber pieces replaced in the suspension.

·
Registered
534 Posts
After doing quite a bit of research, I went with FWD Performance.

If all goes well, it will be interesting having my car back on the road for the first time (realistically) since like 2017. The first time it broke down it was a year before I got it back on the road, and then it was only 120 miles and the transmission failed so I don't exactly count 2018 haha.
What's the going rate for a rebuilt transmission?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Good info here about obtaining a rebuilt T850 transmission from FWD.
Thanks for sharing this information, guys.
My transmission is fine but it's good to know where to go if I ever need it.
Good luck with your project, RTShadow!

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Engine bay looks clean. Good luck with the trans.
Appreciate it, I do a lot of work to maintain this car looking new. Problem is, it's hard to detail the car the same way along the subframe and rack, and when I'm under the car I get disheartened by the rusty little bits here and there. Nothing on the body, but the sway bars, lower control arms, etc. Not a lot of rust, but it's there. Everything from the turbo back has a lovely coat of Mopar ATF from my transmission fiasco 2 years ago. I suppose one plus is that it coats and protect everything haha. No rust buildup in those areas.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Appreciate it, I do a lot of work to maintain this car looking new. Problem is, it's hard to detail the car the same way along the subframe and rack, and when I'm under the car I get disheartened by the rusty little bits here and there. Nothing on the body, but the sway bars, lower control arms, etc. Not a lot of rust, but it's there. Everything from the turbo back has a lovely coat of Mopar ATF from my transmission fiasco 2 years ago. I suppose one plus is that it coats and protect everything haha. No rust buildup in those areas.
A little Rustoleum (black) brushed on will cover the rust and prevent it from getting worse.

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Just picked up the full Prothane suspension bushing kit and engine mounts from Modern. I don't have anything for the transmission mount, looks like maybe it's not as big a deal?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Just picked up the full Prothane suspension bushing kit and engine mounts from Modern. I don't have anything for the transmission mount, looks like maybe it's not as big a deal?
imho the tranny mount bushing upgrade is the most important of the three...

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
imho the tranny mount bushing upgrade is the most important of the three...
GAH!!! Really? Even with the BWoody H Brace and traction bars?

EDIT: I'll probably call them on Monday morning early and just add a set of the trans mounts to the order and hope they don't charge me more for shipping lol

·
Registered
606 Posts

EDIT: I'll probably call them on Monday morning early and just add a set of the trans mounts to the order and hope they don't charge me more for shipping lol
Boy thats a big statement, those traction bars are pretty damned helpful.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

Sorry, didn't know u had the traction bars ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Sorry, didn't know u had the traction bars ;)
I installed them with 50 miles on the car back in 2006 LOL. The sad thing? I have no idea what wheel hop even feels like in this car because I never drove it without the H brace and traction bars. I suppose installing all this new stuff is going to really solidify it that much more haha. The shity part is having the transmission in and out multiple times with the H brace and traction bars means it's just another set of items you have to take off and put back on. This last time I had to go to a hardware store to get all of the parts because be Woody didn't seem to have a kit that would replace everything

·
Registered
606 Posts
I installed them with 50 miles on the car back in 2006 LOL. The sad thing? I have no idea what wheel hop even feels like in this car because I never drove it without the H brace and traction bars. I suppose installing all this new stuff is going to really solidify it that much more haha. The shity part is having the transmission in and out multiple times with the H brace and traction bars means it's just another set of items you have to take off and put back on. This last time I had to go to a hardware store to get all of the parts because be Woody didn't seem to have a kit that would replace everything
I think i got in on the first group buy, mine have been installed since. I took them off to get them powdercoated... and when I did the clutch and lsd swap. That and the mad dog shifter were probably the best investments ive made.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
UPDATE:

So here's where we are at right now.

I have a tracking number for UPS for my transmission, UPS is waiting on delivery, which is fine, I know they are hitting the transmission with epoxy paint, and the other reason I'm okay with it...

Modern is saying the Prothane inserts, both for suspension and engine mounts, are all on backorder :(

It is not supposed to "be longer than a month" before they'd have them sent out. I went ahead and added the transmission inserts to the order. Modern just added them to the order without any extra shipping/handling which was good. I think Cindy from FWD is trying to sell me on the solid mounts... I went with the street inserts (not even the race ones) because I'm just worried about the vibration. We'll see :D

61 - 80 of 122 Posts