Dodge SRT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
I would say yes but I am no expert. Maybe take it to a shop and ask if it can be polished out. I would hate for you to put everything back together and something goes out because of that.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How many miles on the car/trans? I assume this isn't from abuse, right?
just under 80k miles

I'm home now, was on the phone earlier trying to post, pain in the xss!

Not in the driving sense. I did wait far too long to change the fluid, did it I think at about 70k miles, but the oil was clean when I changed it. I don't 'no lift shift', I don't shift wide open, or any of that garbage.

The oil input holes on the shaft itself appeared to be plugged. But it is hard to say of that is a cause of what happened or if that is a symptom of the bearing disintegration itself. There is a lot of plastic debris in the transmission from the bearing casing breaking down. A lot of cleaning to be done.

From looking at the prices that people want for input shafts, it may be just in my best interest to go for a used transmission that came from a wrecked SRT-4, but then who knows what you will get.

Hoping someone has a decent input shaft laying around.

No one carries them new, not OEM anyway, they are all high horsepower 1200 dollar ones.

My other parts arrive from Modern tomorrow... guess they'll sit till I can figure this out.

BUT, on the bright side, we now know what the problem is.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Good GOD, input shafts are impossible to find, and even the 3rd and 4th gear needle bearings are absent from all online shopping areas. Cripes...

***EDIT: I think at this point I'm going to entertain purchasing the entire T-850 transmission. I'm searching, if anyone knows, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Hey stuff breaks down, !*it happens.

When your done it will be like new again.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That's understandable, I can fix this, I just put together a Neon that sat for 8 years outdoors at our farm. But if I can't find the parts at a reasonable price, that's more of an issue.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Too bad your in a hurry. I will have a trans for sale soon with only 23k miles on it. But been waiting on parts from DCR for 2 weeks and they haven't even shipped yet. Have a spare trans that Im going to build as to not have my car down for to long. But the way things are going I might need to just keep it for parts in the future.

Reactions: HybridKid

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Seems the only route later on is going to be a full dog box from liberty gear if no one starts producing aftermarket parts for our trans!

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, I'm not really in a hurry anymore LOL. I thought I might have this together in a week but it appears that is not going to happen, so with that in mind, I have my 6 week course coming up for TDY safety training down in Alabama, I'm going to spend that whole time likely going over my options.

So I have an attachment I pulled the info on the attachment from Modern's website and spliced it all together. Some of the numbers do not have corresponding explanations, the reason why is that if Modern isn't carrying that part anymore, they don't show the name of it. No input shafts, no 3rd gear bearings, no this, no that. NO!

So now options. We are going to take the input shaft into a specialty builder and see if there is a way to take 20-40 thousands off the shaft and the inside of the 4th gear on a precision lathe, then go with a high performance larger bearing.

This brings up questions... is the input shaft hardened on the exterior, like the old Mopars used to do sometimes... as in, if you grind even a tiny amount off, does that remove the hardened section and create a situation where the shaft will wear and fail?

Secondly on that option... will that create a structurally unsound condition for the gear itself, as in, better to spend the extra money even if I get the shaft worked, to put a new gear on?

Option B - buy a used transmission that 1) has no issues or 2) any issues are limited to the output shaft gears.

Option C - Say 'FXXX IT' bite the proverbial bullet, spend the 2,100 dollars on a stage 1 transmission from an aftermarket supplier.

Option D - leave the car in pieces for 30 years and hope it goes up in value LOL

Option D is not really an option, but I'm at 8 months now haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Spend the 2100.00 and get a built trans. I spent $2400 in just parts not even the build yet. Probably have just under $4k in my trans when done. Would be around $6k if Realtuned would make the straight cut 3&4 gears again!!! Wishful thanking!!!

·
Premium Member
6,833 Posts
Spend the 2100.00 and get a built trans. I spent $2400 in just parts not even the build yet. Probably have just under $4k in my trans when done. Would be around $6k if Realtuned would make the straight cut 3&4 gears again!!! Wishful thanking!!!
Yep, gets expensive fast!! That's why I drive like an old man these days and enjoy that it is on the road again. Don't even feel comfortable taking Blue to the dyno even to see what she can do.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
DCR finally is sending out my modified synchro sliders. So they should be here this week hopefully. Get the gear set pulled out this weekend hopefully. Check the shaft condition and post it for sale since I am going full billet with the Frana 2 shaft from realtune with 1&2nd straight cut new ratio gears made for big turbo.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That's why I drive like an old man these days
The mirror tells me I am an old man these days! :| Whew, reading threads like this has me wondering what I'll find when I eventually have to pull the transmission out of mine. I'm at a little over 211K miles now. I replaced the 3rd gear fork and syncro at about 65K, and clutch and throwout fork at 130K. There likely will be other transmission issues sometime in the nearish future.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well shxxbiscuits...

Got the items to put the power to the tranny now.

I did have to chuckle about one thing... Clutchmasters clutch, all wrapped gently in plastic, with Clutchmaster stickers, I think 3 of them, instruction manual, warranty card, business card, paperwork all in a ziploc bag...

Then there's the AGP forged pivot fork... wrapped in a piece of brown paper LOL. I think AGP is like "shxt's good, you know what to do with it, take it or leave it" haha

Attachments

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Forged, eh? I wonder how it'll fair over a DCR or Wikyd Performance fork. The goal is for it to be the the same stainless steel as the throwout bearing. I'm not sure I agree with forged. If its harder it'll just create a gouge in the bearing. I'm on my second Wikyd fork. Lasted longer than the stocker.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well, after what I'm dealing with now, I think replacing that bastard will be a lot easier than fixing my input shaft, bearings, and gears haha.

==================
So, I'm making a change in plans. After some careful consideration with some powers that be, we are going to put off the transmission for a little bit and focus on other "pots on the stove" so to speak.

I leave next week on Thursday to Boston on vacation with my kids, come back for one day, then bam off I go to Ft. Rucker Alabama for six weeks of school. I simply have too many pots on the fire so to speak, to be focusing on the transmission, and I'm running low on funds due to preparation for both trips, and I don't want to be tapping my savings more. I could throw 3 grand on the credit card and have the transmission ready to go when I get back, but I still have my stage 3 kit to finish and get it installed also.

So I'm going to likely spend my off time at Ft. Rucker scouring the internet and harassing the guys at Modern and other places for the final pieces for my stage 3 kit (see attachment). How sad is it that I took that photo after I purchased those items in December 2010? LOL

So, if I remember right based on the stuff I have in photo, I'll be after a stage III WGA, 02 housing gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, probably a new 255 pump, and a water/oil line set. Hopefully not beyond 170 bucks or so, at least that's what it worked out to back then, who knows now LOL. might be able to get away with the old fuel pump, not sure on that one though. It's not incredibly technical to replace now that I've done it on my black SXT, but still... would rather be sure it worked well.

I've also got a fuel air gauge, Mopar oil pressure gauge, and 3 pod pillar, almost forgot about those, sitting in a box in the garage. Oh, and a BWoody catch can that I never installed (yes, dumb of me, poor intercooler :( well lubricated though).

I'll have to start a build thread finally. Still aiming at the 350-370 hp mark, and trust me, I'll stay there. Yes "everyone says that" but I like the daily drivability, and if you go beyond that, you start losing that.

So, actually, Hybrid, you recommended I go forth with the Stage III and other upgrades while I have things apart, so in a way I'm taking your advice, albeit aroundabout way haha.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Spoke with Ed Peters tonite, won't go into detail about specifics (can't really say why... haha, if you heard it you'd understand), but suffice to say, the guy is no nonsense, has very straight forward opinions, and has changed my mind on a few things.

Long story short, going to fix mine based on his advice.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Good move with your trans, my opinion.

Boston is a fun town with a lot of history, if you like that sort of thing. I grew up just south of Boston (North Attleboro) moved away in early 95 but still visit from time/time.

Good luck with everything and yea, take your time with the car. You'll be much happier when its done.

Cheers!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I thought I had updated this when I put my transmission together, probably updated in another area of the forum, no worries.

We basically did a rebuild ourselves, in October 2018, then a week later, after about 120 miles, something catastrophically failed in the transmission and dumped all the fluid out, thankfully no fire, lots of steamy smoke from the exhaust/turbo area. Limped it to work then trailered it home.

So, parked the car, had good intentions of getting it fixed...

AAAAAAAAAND... here we are more than 2 years later. I gotta stop doing this, I'm only getting older. Better to just jump in and try to fix. "Try and fail, but don't fail to try".

I've had enough money set aside for a long time now to fix it, just been putting it off. Dropped the transmission out today, and this is what I found:

2021 Hole In Tranny.jpg

That's about a 1/3" diameter hole inside the bell housing of the case, there were several chunks of steel that fell out of the inside of the case when I pulled things apart. Thankfully the expensive clutch and fork weren't damaged (they only have 120 miles on them LOL).

Going to take everything apart down at the farm tomorrow, we're going to see what sort of mistake(s) we made, I fear it was the 3rd gear snap ring, tends to be a major issue a lot of people have had when they put things back together.

After that, I'm going to pull the trigger and purchase a built transmission. Already got things set up, just got to see if anything will work in terms of getting the "core fee" reduced. I have a bad feeling the interior of the transmission is going to be a clusterfook. Oh well, you live and learn.

Here she is, just sitting and waiting:

2021 Open Bay.jpg

While I have things all torn down, I'm going to go ahead and replace all of my bushings with poly bushings, the original rubber is looking cracked. One question on this for those of you with experience in the polyurethane world, how much worse is the vibration when you do this? I'm thinking of getting the motor mount inserts also. Not sure if I need them, i have the B Woody H Brace and traction bars already to deal with wheel hop.

Let me know, MORE TO COME! :)

41 - 60 of 87 Posts