Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's a thread for everyone who hijacked the other one. :lol:

The SRT 4 is another trimline of the Neon....

Okay, I want a nice clean fight...no hair pulling, no eye gouging and no blows below the belt...(this isn't the oval office)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah I'd say so, it's no less a Neon than a WRX is an Impreza or a Z28 a Camaro. It's just an option package of the Neon line although Dodge doesn't officially recognize it as that.

-faast

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
This is my point of veiw... officially, it is not a Neon, unofficially, it is a Neon. My first point, look at the chasis, it is is the same (if not extremely close) chasis of a Neon. They probably tweaked a few things with the chasis to make it handle better, but they have not changed it where the 2003 Neon's look completely different from the 2003 SRT-4's. Look at the interior of an SRT-4 and a Neon... the only few differences are mostly, merely cosmetic w/ exception of the seats and boost guage. Secondly, I have even had friends say, "Oh, that turbo Neon..." Even in magazines and reveiws, you'll see the authors calling it the Dodge Neon SRT-4. Even the dealers don't list the SRT-4 in their inventory as a seperate car. If you look (I think it was Maroone, FL) they listed it as Neon SRT-4. Thirdly, we all here know it derives from the grass roots of the Neon and Neon ACR. I think they did mention once (somewhere) that some people with Neon ACR experience were brought in to help in the creation of the SRT-4. It was also said somewhere that they used the Neon base as basis for the SRT-4. When tuners swap RX7 rotary engines into their Civics, do they still consider it a Civic merely b/c of it's body styling, or an RX7 b/c of it's engine? Same goes with NASCAR and dragsters with factory like body styles, even though underneath they are nowhere similar. What's the reason behind this name game... I believe as someone said earlier (please state yourself so you get proper credit :wink: ), that it's only for political and economical reasons. One, so people don't try to get these "Power Days" incentives mixed up and that Dodge doesn't lose money, and they are going to eventually replace the Neon line, read it somewhere on Allpar.com. Think of it as somewhat similar to the Pontiac Tempest/GTO. Before 1965, the GTO was a variant of the Tempest and then the GTO became it's own model; although in the Neon/SRT-4 case, SRT-4 will only be produced for a couple years. (But wouldn't we all love it if they kept making the SRT-4! 8) ) Anyhow, that's my of the whole Neon/SRT-4 name game. Offically, it's paper name is the SRT-4. Unofficially we all know it's is a Neon UNLESS some one can find EVIDENCE to prove otherwise. Personally, I like to call it Neon SRT-4 because it hurts to get beat by a Neon! :twisted: Please add your $0.02 and maybe we'll all come to a concensess. Wouldn't that be the day! lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
origonally posted by lifeisdeath
the srt-4 is not in the neon family. the neon family consists of the se, sxt, and r/t. it is specifically a dodge srt-4. there is no se, sxt or r/t package for it because it only comes one way.
I know this is from the other thread...but do you realize how idiotic tht comment is?

Its definitely a neon, and there is nothing worng with that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I still say its a Neon, I still say nothing is wrong with that, and those of you who are offended to think of it as a Neon had better stock up on high blood pressure medicine, because the average joe, (or worse the honey you are trying to pick up on) is going to recognize the car as a Neon.

A little something to think about, there are thousands of cars running around with suspension tweaks, interior upgrades and motor swaps. If someone drives a Civic with an Integra engine, JDM Civic Type R seats and Tein coilovers no-one is going to argue that it is no longer a Civic, but the "its not a neon" argument hinges on the "fact" that if you drive a Neon with a PT cruiser engine, Viper seats and a tweaked suspension it is no longer a Neon. :?:

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Here is your answer. It's a bad a.. Dodge!

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the Canadian market, I would argue differently. There is no more Neon in Canada. It's now called the Dodge SX 2.0 (I'm sure this is totally unknown in the US). So technically, I could argue that the SRT-4 is a variation of the SX 2.0...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That should add some fuel to the fire. Great contribution, I hadn't even thought of that.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
A few more pieces of kindling....... :twisted:

It doesn't feel like a Neon, but I have to agree that it is a Neon based car. If you think about it, some of the early "show" models were really normal Neons with the SRT add-ons (usually still a 2.0 under the hood).

Aren't all the Neons that are exported actually Chryslers and not Dodges ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Neon?

As a major car mag recently said:
It's a FrankenNeon!

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2002/december/0212_roadtest_srt4.xml

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a buddy that does indeed have a neon, but has an identity crisis over the badging. It is comprised of both Dodge and Plymouth pieces that he threw together during mods and upgrades. I call it a Dodgemouth or a Plodge...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or the Dymouth Peon.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I couldn't help myself...it's a slow night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easy Answer

I suspect it has to do with Rebates and Incentive offers.. If dodge continued to call it a NEON, it would qualify for the NEON's $2500 rebate or 0%apr.. If you don't call it a Neon, then they don't have to honor the incentive program.

In other words.. its academic because there are plenty of cars that are badged uniquely, but based on a preexisting model. It could also have something to do with Insurance classification.

Jack

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
If you pull a window sticker, it says "2003 Model Year Dodge Neon SRT-4". I assume those are written by Dodge"

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
If you go to this link, select neon from the pulldown, and pull up an SRT-4, the sticker there shows it. But I would go with the one on the car. Settled!!!!

http://www.maroone.fivestardealers.com/?dc_pid=&dc_adid=&dc_rid=&redir=1&dc=1

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
Slow5OH said:
Yeah I'd say so, it's no less a Neon than a WRX is an Impreza or a Z28 a Camaro. It's just an option package of the Neon line although Dodge doesn't officially recognize it as that.

-faast
the neon line consists of se, sxt, and rt.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
it was born from the neon family...i'd call it a cousin...it's got papa neon's eyes, but a heart of its own

anyway...looking back on the concept that started it all...

originally it was called the Dodge Neon SRT4...it consisted of a supercharged 2.0L engine, and looked like a 2nd gen R/T w/ a body kit...before the crossed eyed lights it has now, it basically had 2nd generation headlights and turnsignals...i'll try and find an old pic

i think that dodge left out the neon name to try to leave out the neon's negitive past, its called marketing (dont get me wrong, i drive a 97 and love it :D )

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
SpitterGuy said:
My first point, look at the chasis, it is is the same (if not extremely close) chasis of a Neon. They probably tweaked a few things with the chasis to make it handle better, but they have not changed it where the 2003 Neon's look completely different from the 2003 SRT-4's.
as i have posted in the hijacked thread. the toyota corolla and the chevy nova share everything, yet they are different cars. based on this logic it should be a toyota nova.

Secondly, I have even had friends say, "Oh, that turbo Neon..." Even in magazines and reveiws, you'll see the authors calling it the Dodge Neon SRT-4. Even the dealers don't list the SRT-4 in their inventory as a seperate car.
that really isnt a valid arguement. your friends and magazine authors are thinking like you guys. "it looks like a neon so it must be one."

[/quote]Thirdly, we all here know it derives from the grass roots of the Neon and Neon ACR. I think they did mention once (somewhere) that some people with Neon ACR experience were brought in to help in the creation of the SRT-4. It was also said somewhere that they used the Neon base as basis for the SRT-4.[/quote]
yes, and because they brought people in with experience with the acr to build the srt-4, it doesnt mean the srt-4 is a neon. they also brought in people from the viper gts-r race team. does it make it a viper?

When tuners swap RX7 rotary engines into their Civics, do they still consider it a Civic merely b/c of it's body styling, or an RX7 b/c of it's engine?
we arent talking engine swaps here. the only neonesque things used is base chassis and lights. (they even changed the chassis to make it stiffer.)

Unofficially we all know it's is a Neon UNLESS some one can find EVIDENCE to prove otherwise.
you guys dont listen to evidence :p

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
22 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing