Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Appointment: 11:30 am / Sept 11, 2004 / Dynojet in Louisville

any louisville SRT'4s interested in meeting? i hear there are tons of them there.
i will post dyno sheet pics on here Sat. afternoon

basically, im gonna do 2 baselines runs
1) Mopar Stage 1
2) Injen Intake
3) BDJ's 18" dump exhaust

after that, i'm going to make another 2 runs while spraying the Nitrous Express N-tercooler so you guys get a feel of how much horsepower it'll make on our cars.

6 days later on Sept 17, I'm heading over to the Clay City 1/4 mile Track and seeing what times I run on stock BFG KDW tires.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Just a thought. What plugs you using, and gap? Make sure you got some good juice in it. Here is the difference on my car between a PCM in retard mode, and one that is not. Sorry for the screen capture. Top end was dead. Peak power picked up was like 20hp and 10 tq, with top end being nuts.

good luck!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The results are in:
Date: Sept 11, 2004
Place: Louisville, KY
Dyno: Dynojet
Results: 263whp 288 ft/lbs (SAE)
Absolute Pressure: 29.75 in/Hg
Relative Humidity: 36.0%
Intake Air Temperature: 88.7 *F

Here are a few pics of the dynojet used:

Summary of Results:
- All 3 runs were conducted immediately after one another. The first two runs were baseline runs. Recorded at 3000-6000 rpms in Third Gear. At the time, I was running Stage 1, Injen Intake and BDJ's Racing 3" Dump Exhaust (18" resonator, no cat, stock O2 housing).
This resulted in: 232 HP and 248 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels (SAE)

- For the third and final run, I let the rpms fall back down to 3000 from the second run. As soon as it hit 3000 rpms, I activated the Nitrous Express N-tercooler kit and sprayed throughout the whole rpm range till redline.
This resulted in 263 HP and 288 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels (SAE)
Basically, the NX N-tercooler kit netted about 30-33 WHP and 40-46 ft/lbs of torque for my 2004 SRT-4 if spraying throughout the gear. It's like running a 35 shot but without the dangers of spraying into the motor, plus you get the added benefit of reduced detonation.

- Here is a picture of my Dyno Sheet:

I have a video clip of the dyno, if anyone is willing to host it, please pm me. :) thanks
(in the video, you can see a cloud of nitrous rising over my car and you can hear a clip of my racing exhaust. Tonite, im gonna take a video clip of it shooting out flames.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I didn't know that the NX IC Spray would net that much HP. Sweet. Nice dyno results

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
WOW. i never thought the N-tercooler spray would make that much power. thats ausome!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why do people dyno these cars in 3rd gear?
1:1 is in 4th gear, otherwise the results are POINTLESS...
Of course dynoing the car is also pretty much a waste of time if you have a wideband O2 in the car.
MPH in the 1/4 mile can predict your HP to +/- 5% which is about the range of a decent dyno.
Mike

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
since your air filter is under the hood i would bet all of the hp from the i/c sprayer was from sucking up the n20 through the air filter, with out a boost controler the i/c sprayer will do nothing on stage 0 or 1, tried it many times, ran same 1/4 time with it and with out it, but taking off the air box lid so the n2o could be sucked in droped times from 14.05 to 13.91, as long as the pcm has control of the boost, cooling or using bigger i/c won't gain power, the pcm will compensate for the lower intake charge to reduce power to maintane desired tourqe output commanded by the pcm, if you go with a boost controler and take the pcm out of the loop then yes it will make more power, other wise your just sucking in the n20 and leaning out the a/f ratio

·
Registered
225 Posts
camlifter said:
since your air filter is under the hood i would bet all of the hp from the i/c sprayer was from sucking up the n20 through the air filter, with out a boost controler the i/c sprayer will do nothing on stage 0 or 1, tried it many times, ran same 1/4 time with it and with out it, but taking off the air box lid so the n2o could be sucked in droped times from 14.05 to 13.91, as long as the pcm has control of the boost, cooling or using bigger i/c won't gain power, the pcm will compensate for the lower intake charge to reduce power to maintane desired tourqe output commanded by the pcm, if you go with a boost controler and take the pcm out of the loop then yes it will make more power, other wise your just sucking in the n20 and leaning out the a/f ratio
Ding ding ding
We have a winner!!!
I think you might have seen less of a gain(with the N2o) if they had put a fan in front of your car.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Soccer69er said:
Appointment: 11:30 am / Sept 11, 2004 / Dynojet in Louisville

any louisville SRT'4s interested in meeting? i hear there are tons of them there.
i will post dyno sheet pics on here Sat. afternoon

basically, im gonna do 2 baselines runs
1) Mopar Stage 1
2) Injen Intake
3) BDJ's 18" dump exhaust

after that, i'm going to make another 2 runs while spraying the Nitrous Express N-tercooler so you guys get a feel of how much horsepower it'll make on our cars.

6 days later on Sept 17, I'm heading over to the Clay City 1/4 mile Track and seeing what times I run on stock BFG KDW tires.
Let me know what your numbers are. I have almost the same setup.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i too was wondering if some of the nitrous would be blown into the intake. for that reason before the run, we closed the hood. also, I requested a fan to be put in the front to help simulate real driving conditions. at the time, i was like "right on!" since NX claimed up to 40 hp on their test civic. 31 wasn't far off.

so even though with the hood closed, it may be possible that the fan blew some nitrous into the filter area. the video i have shows a faint nitrous plume rising over the side of the car. My wife thought my tires were smoking...haha i wish :)

anyways, im scheduling another appointment. This time, Im going to do a 4th gear run, since i didn't know that 3rd gear wasn't 1:1. But i'll do 3 more runs in 4th gear and use the wideband o2 to see where my air/fuel ratio lies during the spray. If it's too lean, i'll invest in some fuel mods to make it a bit more rich and safe.

so if indeed the nitrous seeped into the intake, would it be farfetched to say the water sprayers/co2 sprayers may also seep a bit into the intake. that could be a scary thought.

thanks guy for all the comments, i think it's great to find out results like this to share with the boards to clear up any misconceptions and work out the uneven edges.

im heading up to the track on friday (17th) to find out my quarter mile times on stock tires.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd bet the gains come from the reduction in temps in the intercooler. If you notice how much faster these cars are when the outside temp is say 55 as opposed to 90, then you can imagine how much more power you will make when the intake temps drop from 170+ down to 85-90. I've seen other people's dyno tests where on an 80 degree day the intake temps out of the intercooler were like 120 on the first run and then heat soaked all the way to 190on the 3rd or 4th run. So the reduction in temp is where the power comes from.Just a note, if you have an upgraded inter cooler, you will not see as much of a gain due to an already colder intake temp.On the same day as the afforementioned dyno test another car with big intercooler had intake temps no higher than 115 after 3 pulls. :soap:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Soccer69er said:
i too was wondering if some of the nitrous would be blown into the intake. for that reason before the run, we closed the hood. also, I requested a fan to be put in the front to help simulate real driving conditions. at the time, i was like "right on!" since NX claimed up to 40 hp on their test civic. 31 wasn't far off.

so even though with the hood closed, it may be possible that the fan blew some nitrous into the filter area. the video i have shows a faint nitrous plume rising over the side of the car. My wife thought my tires were smoking...haha i wish :)

anyways, im scheduling another appointment. This time, Im going to do a 4th gear run, since i didn't know that 3rd gear wasn't 1:1. But i'll do 3 more runs in 4th gear and use the wideband o2 to see where my air/fuel ratio lies during the spray. If it's too lean, i'll invest in some fuel mods to make it a bit more rich and safe.

so if indeed the nitrous seeped into the intake, would it be farfetched to say the water sprayers/co2 sprayers may also seep a bit into the intake. that could be a scary thought.

thanks guy for all the comments, i think it's great to find out results like this to share with the boards to clear up any misconceptions and work out the uneven edges.

im heading up to the track on friday (17th) to find out my quarter mile times on stock tires.
A way to prove or disprove this would be to look at the Air/fuel ratio's. Should be leaner if the the nitrous is going into the Air box. To tell you the truth I bet you could spray 35hp of nitous into it with out leaning it out to bad. Most people with a Stage 1 are seeing way rich conditions. (mine are 10.5)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
the NX sprayer in fact does help out ALOT...at SRT Nationals Greg (Rezin8) had the little black box (Mopar Datalogger) hooked up to his car, and ran it on the dyno....i forget the actual numbers but the decrease in the Charge Temps were crazy.....Ethan even said that is where a lot of the power was coming from....This is what i saw with my own 2 eyes believe what you want, but that is just my personal experience with it.....

·
Super Moderator
4,823 Posts
poop

are you spraying co2 or n2o on the ic sprayer??

·
Registered
926 Posts
I believe it works too.. Why would it not?
Decrease intake temps = denser air = more power!
Also judging the air to fuel on the runs will in now way tell you if its running leaner due to the fact the nitrous is getting in the intake.. The only way to tell if it is to bock the filter from the nitrous some how..
Because when you spray the Intercooler and gain 30+hp you will run a little leaner..

·
Super Moderator
4,823 Posts
no answer

dojaman666 said:
are you spraying co2 or n2o on the ic sprayer??

well.....?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts