Dodge SRT Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
621 - 640 of 3709 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
hey camaro. Does your car bounce at all being that low?
It's by far the worst ride ive ever felt in my life. I absolutely hate it with the passion of a thousand suns. You can't ride that low (at least for our cars) and have a "decent" ride quality. I can't put any more emphasis on how bad it rides. So bouncing would be an understatement. Unless you're driving on a sheet of glass, its going to beat the shit out out of you, even if its just taking a trip to the grocery store. I want to see if its possible to get softer springs though even if i have to raise my car up a bit. Right now, no matter what height im at, it rides like garbage. BUT, i must say, all the attention i get and how sexy my car looks, makes me keep it this way. It also has reduced my wheel spin which is a BIG plus.

I gotta get better pics but I see most people lower their cars according to where the tires sit in the wheel well, i measured from the bottom of the rocker panel to make the car level. So the rear tucks a hell of a lot more tire than the front since the front wheel well is larger. The 225/45's rub like hell though. I really dont want to get a smaller tire though being as my larger sidewall is the only thing absorbing bumps now. I don't recommend slamming your car if you want to retain ride quality.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
i love the ride quality of the bc coils.... rides like a Cadillac compaired to previous sets ive owned... i dont mind it one bit =)

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
any car sitting that low is going to ride like hell. just the name of the game.
nooo, not if you have the right top hats. It allows you to regain your lost travel. Here's an example for the Miatas (we've been gaining back the 2" of travel that we lost for awhile!):

Moderately Slammed — RevLimiter.net

Someone should go to a reputable shop and express interest.. after all there's a lot more of you slammed guys than a few years ago....

Or just try and get a company to make shorter shock bodies for the coilovers (BC might already, but maybe not short enough).

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
How does that top hat replacement work? How does it effect ride quality? As far as a shorter coilover, I had hoped they made a shorter one for the regular Neon's like they do with struts but I guess not.

camaro, You should try owning a static dropped Minitruck. Mine rides like a skateboard. I have an air ride set up for it, one of these days.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
How does that top hat replacement work? How does it effect ride quality? As far as a shorter coilover, I had hoped they made a shorter one for the regular Neon's like they do with struts but I guess not.
It allows the coilover body to go up INTO it, therefore regaining your lost travel. I don't know how well it would work on the front of a Neon, since there isn't much clearance till you'd hit the hood. But in the rear it would work.

edit: here's another company making them: http://iscracing.net/miatasuspension.html

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
reason why i asked was because i thought having coilovers enables you to have a nice quality ride being that low but guess not. My car is this low and i thought it rode like shit because i messed with the preload.on bc's by the way

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
873 Posts
yeah mine are megans and really its horrible. I have buddies with mini trucks on air and i feel bad for u guys too. here are some better shots i took earlier today

god my car is sexy =)

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I don't think my ride is very bad on my megans, u my wanna mess with ur preload camaro, maybe u have te springs comprEsred to much...

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
nooo, not if you have the right top hats. It allows you to regain your lost travel. Here's an example for the Miatas (we've been gaining back the 2" of travel that we lost for awhile!):

Moderately Slammed — RevLimiter.net

Someone should go to a reputable shop and express interest.. after all there's a lot more of you slammed guys than a few years ago....

Or just try and get a company to make shorter shock bodies for the coilovers (BC might already, but maybe not short enough).

:thumbsup:
now your bringing a new pitcher into the ball game. :thumbsup: figured we were just talking about bolting up coils and slamming cars to the ground lol. and besides no one makes extended top hats for the srt afaik, this would be lovely to have!

·
Registered
873 Posts
^^ Car looks awesome. What rims are those?
Thanks man! :thumbsup: and the wheels are 17x7 Centerline Storms... forged aluminum. goodluck finding them btw. I want to get a new set of wheels to change up the look but everyone loves these wheels on my car so im split! They weigh around 12lbs too

I don't think my ride is very bad on my megans, u my wanna mess with ur preload camaro, maybe u have te springs comprEsred to much...
I was told to mess with my preload before im just new to the CO's so Im not 100% sure on how to do this lol. Any help is much appreciated. Help my poor back out ha :jester:

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Thanks man! :thumbsup: and the wheels are 17x7 Centerline Storms... forged aluminum. goodluck finding them btw. I want to get a new set of wheels to change up the look but everyone loves these wheels on my car so im split! They weigh around 12lbs too

I was told to mess with my preload before im just new to the CO's so Im not 100% sure on how to do this lol. Any help is much appreciated. Help my poor back out ha :jester:
what I did was loosen the two lock nuts under the spring until i could move the spring around loosly, then I read around on megan's site to tighten the nuts until the spring compresses about 1/2 an inch all the way around.

and then the bottom lock nut is what you use to move the coil up and down to lower the car. (obviously) HAHA

but it seems pretty legit to me, that way over bumps and stuff, it wont be as harsh as the spring will be able to still compress and take some of the shock from the bumps!

FYI: Megan also suggests to over look the collars, tophats, and nuts every oil change, make sure you can move them, and I would keep something on them so dirt doens ruing the thread. i notice my top nuts like to come loose every now and again, and when it does I get loud noice from the everything bouncing around haha.

·
Registered
873 Posts
^^ thanks bro! I definitely need to do something, i just took a ride and actually caught air over a huge bump in the road. Thats right, all 4 tires off the ground. it was insane and now my back is killin me. my poor car =( i cringe every time i hit a hard bump.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
^^ thanks bro! I definitely need to do something, i just took a ride and actually caught air over a huge bump in the road. Thats right, all 4 tires off the ground. it was insane and now my back is killin me. my poor car =( i cringe every time i hit a hard bump.
lol i took one of those big speed bumps, not the curved ones, but the angled ones kinda like a ramp at 65 one time.. didnt see it... needless to say i got all 4 off the air. was one hell of a landing, skipped my cd and everythign hahaha... also somehow ripped out my foglight and ripped the wiring harness for it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I agree with thatguy, the megans really are a nice coilover set when adjusted correctly...

I ride on megans pretty low, I have them set 6 clicks from full soft and they ride pretty smooth.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I agree with thatguy, the megans really are a nice coilover set when adjusted correctly...

I ride on megans pretty low, I have them set 6 clicks from full soft and they ride pretty smooth.
megans coils are made by bc.. fyi.

621 - 640 of 3709 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.