Dodge SRT Forum banner

The Official 2012 Nurburgring Meet thread

16K views 117 replies 13 participants last post by  elecsys11 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I know it's a bit early but I wanted to start putting some information down for a meet I've been wanting to do for about 2 years, a big meet at the Nurburgring in Germany. Here's what I have in mind:

When: 16 - 18 September 2012
Where: The greatest racetrack in the world, the Nurburgring, Germany
Why: To drive our wheels off, duh
Who: Anybody who would like to attend, non SRT guys, and basically people that aren't douchecanoes

My idea is that it's going to be most likely me and Chris from UK along with maybe one or two of my friends from work/UK car club driving down early Sunday the 16th. We could make it down there early afternoon on Sunday and just relax watching the cars go around the track. I'm not really planning on doing any laps on Sunday as the weekends are pretty packed there and it's hard to get a good lap with all the traffic (but who am I kidding, I always say that and end up going anyway). I figure Sunday would be a good day to meet up with anybody else that is coming from Holland, other parts of Germany and maybe Italy. As for where we'd stay, I'd like to hear what everyone has to say. I know they have a campsite there that would probably be cheaper than a hotel but I'm kind of tired of roughing it here in Afghanistan heh.

Then the following Monday we can go around Nurburg and check out their museum, maybe do a little go-karting and then when the track opens up at 1700, we're there when it opens up so we can knock out some great laps; the weekdays are the best times to go as it's not nearly as busy. After the laps that night I figure we can have dinner at the Pistonklaus, the restaurant owned by Sabine Schmitz's family. Still haven't figured out what we can do the next day but that evening we can hit up the Ring again when it opens up at 1700 again. Then we leave the next day.

It's a mad house on the weekends so I figured if we got there on a Sunday you guys could get your dose of car oogling that day and then the days that follow we can concentrate on driving. And don't worry if you've never driven the Ring', I've been out there quite a bit and would be more than happy to ride shotgun with you and call out the turns as I've done with a few friends already.

The website with all the information, prices, opening times is Home*- NĂĽrburgring. If there is enough interest, I'm considering contacting some of the companies here like MPx and maybe AGP to see if they wanted to sponsor the event (I have no problem plastering my car with their vinyl for the trip). I've got some parts to install between the time I get back from Afghanistan and the 'Ring (tires, bushings, alignment, rear diffuser, exhaust, brake fluid, lines) but once that's done, it's on like Donkey Kong. Hell, I'm even considering buying 5 gallons of C16 so I can do a lap on HOM. :eveilgrin

Let the discussion begin. :)

Oh, and can we get this as a sticky?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Pen me in! I will forward that link to my buddies that want to come. I'd be in for some sticker plastering. I buy plenty of stuff from MPx (great company!) and have an AGP catchcan and gear extender. I am considering getting a camera mounted up same as yours Mario, just need to look at costs and the pocketbook closer to the time. What is your setup?

I am sliding out my gearset here in a few weeks to pop in my new third gear syncro and shift fork. I also have a maddog shifter to put in. Will swap out the front pads before we go and the rears will still be all but new! Refresh my brake fluid and t ransmission fluid before then the car should be good for a few laps :evilgrin: It's a long ways off yet but getting excited, been a few years since I have been able to open the car up properly!

So all those video's you did you didn't use HOM? On position 2 what is the power output? Around 280-290?

Costs :

Hotel : ÂŁ30-40 P/N
Travel Fuel (4tanks) : ÂŁ200 (For SRT)
Ferry Pass : ÂŁ60-120
Food : ÂŁ60
Track Pass : €95 /4 laps (looking at up to 16 laps)
Track Fuel : 1 tank every 3 laps? (SRT)
Karting : €40?

Total : ~ÂŁ500-700
This total depends on a few factors and is based on no passengers for us UKer's. I am working 2 jobs at the moment to try to save up the cash, I really want go.

#4 ·
Chris, I've got a Go Pro HD and on this deployment I purchased a Contour Roam for a helmet camera (got some sweet footage, let me tell you) so don't spend your money on a camera; use one of mine.

Nope, all those videos I have of my laps I'm in DAB 3, non HOM. I never take it out of DAB 3 so I couldn't even tell you what power I put down in DAB 2. I know a few years ago I dynoed on DAB 3 HOM and with getting kicked out of HOM at 4800 rpms, I put down 358 hp and 412 ft/lbs torque. The problem is that race fuel is expensive and in Europe it's even more expensive. At Santa Pod I paid $200 for 5 gallons of it. :crying:

I plan on having a good friend come down with us from the States so my spare seat will be full. Along with bringing down tools, luggage and my race wheels/tires, the car will be packed full. As for laps, I intend on doing around 12 to 16 depending on weather. The more laps you buy the better discount you get.

#5 ·
Thanks Mario! Just had a look at one on amazon, dinky little thing. You been using the camera out there?

Ahh thought you guys had 4dab settings between 0-3 and 3 was HOM. DOH, never really looked into them too much. Could never get the pennies together to buy the kit. That's some good power for an S3 =)

Race fuel is hellishly expensive. I remember when I was stateside and I paid $5 a gallon just to mess around. Didn't make a difference stock. I don't bother looking at it here, premium is expensive enough as it is. I could set a tune up for it, but not really wanted to since it's so expensive.

A car full indeed! What tools you bringing?

#7 ·
Not really. I've played around years ago in mixing fuels and in my experience you need quite high octane fuel to hold HOM reliably. I know that Mopar says that it's made for 100 octane but that's bullshit. I got tired of getting kicked out of HOM so now I just say fuck it and go all out.

Chris, I've been using both the Go Pro and the Contour out here on this deployment. I like them for different reasons; I'd rather have the Go Pro for automotive sports but I love my Contour for my missions out here. I've recorded almost every single operation I've been on; got some pretty wicked footage.

As for what tools I plan on bringing, my normal socket set, my closed end gearwrench set, and a few other hand tools is what I have in mind. I plan on driving down on my stock wheels and carrying my race wheels with new R compound tires in the trunk.

What are you guys' thoughts on a place to stay? Camping is by far the cheapest at about 30 some Euros for 3 nights. I personally have places to stay around the Bitburg and Ramstein area but if we're going to the 'Ring as a group then it'd be better to be co-located.

#8 ·
Nurburgring 2012

Brohams,

The season is upon us and I just wanted to see who would like to do a meet and greet at the ring. We can make a day out of it for those who haven't been and do the ring werks after a solid day of racing. I just have to get my left side LCA installed and a new set of sway bars and I am in business. Post up if you are going to be around this summer and are ready to meet up. Also, for those of you who are local, if you want to meet up once or twice a month, we can choose a local hang out and chill from time to time. Post up and let me know.

#10 ·
Sounds great guys! wicked plan ;)
i will probably try to hit the ring somewhere in June.

But 16-18 september is sceduled in my agenda!!! Camping would be ok i have a BIG tent
but i also know this ringvilla that is close: Appartement Ringvilla in Adenau (Eifel) Duitsland beoordelingen 10.0 | Zoover it has a great view over a part of the circuit.

I'm probably going to trailer it to Adenau, saves me on fuel.
What R compound did u get? and what sizes im debating on buying some good rubber
instead of new wheels and tires :D

O yeah we will also bring our GoPro

#11 ·
I haven't gotten the tires yet but I plan on purchasing Nitto NT-01s in either 235/40/18 or 245/40/18. Probably going to have to roll the fenders a bit more as my wheels are 18x8.5 inches. I can't wait to replace my Nitto street tires with some R compounds; my goal in September is to try and destroy the Nurburgring. :)

I just have to get my left side LCA installed and a new set of sway bars and I am in business.
Are you looking to go aftermarket or just replace what you have? I'd be willing to give you my stock sways if you wanted.

#14 ·
I haven't gotten the tires yet but I plan on purchasing Nitto NT-01s in either 235/40/18 or 245/40/18. Probably going to have to roll the fenders a bit more as my wheels are 18x8.5 inches. I can't wait to replace my Nitto street tires with some R compounds; my goal in September is to try and destroy the Nurburgring. :)

Are you looking to go aftermarket or just replace what you have? I'd be willing to give you my stock sways if you wanted.

I am going after market. Looking at the Progress set. LCA and bearing are done. Just need fresh brakes and the progress set and I am in business.

#12 ·
Sounds good Dutch! Checking that place out we can get an apartment for 8 people for ÂŁ300 on the days we are there, split up between everyone I think that's very reasonable and sure beats camping in a tent!

Mario, if you are going R compounds it will probably be worth getting uprated wheel studs too. It's not uncommon to snap off the stock wheel studs. I have 40 spare if you need, but better off getting a set of ARP wheel studs. On street tires it's not so bad, but with the grip levels and loads you will see on the softer compounds it's good insurance IMO considering the consequences of a failure.

Got my new 3/4 syncro on my input shaft, heading outside in a minute to slide the gearset back into the car.

#13 ·
Well I have these dated booked down as holiday, but can change them if need-be. I am planning on saving up for 12 laps.

Mario there any chance of seeing a video or two of your ops? Understand if not :thumbsup:

I like the sound of the ringvilla, if enough people go it will be better and near the price of camping. I will try to pin the guys down that I know to see if they are truly interested and have the cash to go.

#17 ·
Nice, with 12 laps, that'll be enough for you to get a pretty good taste of what that place has to offer. After a few laps you'll just start to remember where certain turns are and that's when it becomes less scary, heh, until you start driving more aggressive. :lol:

As for any footage, only thing I can show right now is this:

Footage was recorded with a Go Pro HD (not mine). I'm the guy in the video that's yelling for people to get down. I'll post more stuff when I get back; now's just not the time. Had to deal with some pretty serious situations and want to talk to my wife and family first before they see videos.

The UK car group that I hang out with, Torque, is getting together maybe 5-6 guys to come down. Would like to eventually get all the information together in one spot. I'll talk to my friend Owen who started the event on FB and see if we can invite everyone interested and have all the information there.

Chris, the mount I have on the car is a curved surface adhesive mount; don't worry about getting yourself one because I have a few spares you can use.

#19 ·
Well, it sounds like I've got another guy coming from the UK, a co-worker/good friend who drives a modified RX-8 who just bought a Go Pro HD. He's got some tracktime down at the 'Ring so it's really looking to be a great time. :)

#24 ·
There should be approximately 6-8 non-SRT guys coming from the UK with me as well as my friend flying in from the states. I'll be bringing my Go Pro and my Contour Roam so they'll be available for people to use.

I contacted MPx today about possibly sponsoring the event so hopefully that'll go through. I also plan on contacting Discount Tire, N2MB and AGP here in the near future.

#28 ·
My buddy asked me if spouses were coming along. I know my wife Aimee will not be coming with me, we would not be able to find a sitter for this long. Is anyone else brining their significant other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.