Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Illegal and sometimes fatal late-night street racing emerged as the stuff of controversy at Toronto's Canadian International AutoShow.

Those apparently banking on its youth appeal included:

Mitsubishi, which offered a sneak preview of this summer's sequel to the street-racing movie The Fast and the Furious as a scene-setter for the launch of a sporty version of the 2004 Lancer sub-compact.

Chrysler. With a similar theme it boasted that its new, rip-snorting, turbocharged Dodge SRT-4 will "beat anything it comes up against on the street." Opposition came from a surprise supporter. Honda - traditionally the brand of choice for young street-racers - announced it will support efforts to put a lid on late-night racing. As evidence, Honda handed Toronto police the keys to an eye catching, sports Civic for use by officers who patrol racers' favourite haunts.

Sergeant Theo Holtzheuser said his colleagues are appalled at the number of teen street racers with beginners' licences, at how many race cars are 'owned' by parents and at the number of cars improperly insured with young racers listed fraudulently as 'second' or occasional drivers. He adds some race cars are dangerously unstable, having been modified by amateurs often using wrong, untested and non-approved parts. Yet with some teen drivers spending as much as $20,000 on special tune-ups, police are wondering whether the funds are coming from other criminal activities.

http://www.globeandmail.com/globemegawheels/20030227/covert.html

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
With the quote of improper parts, I can attest to that after ripping more than 54 Honda ricers last year. Some of those cars could not even make a corner without loosing something or just almost tipping over.

I had several times stop the race for safety of the idiot ricer next to me who I knew would of killed oncoming vehicle or himself. Though, I was driving the Swift when I was doing it...LOL

It goes back to know your vehicle limitations and specs.

Every three months, the little Swift gets a teardown on several components to ensure that they meet my specficiations. THough, now it is being retired for next racer. However, this one will make it to the local drag strip to run against other ricer machine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
hemidakota
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing