Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge Neon SRT-4

I test drove this vehicle today. It was gorgeous, clean, but I do have some concerns...

After the boost hits there are three or four successions of air that you can hear being released and I do not know enough about these parts to know if this is normal or not?

Secondly, while the car is in neutral and idling, there is a quiet knocking noise. The owner of the vehicle told me that it is the clutch rattling and with these parts it is normal. The owner told me when the clutch is pressed the noise goes away.

Lastly, there is a fluid leak underneath the passenger side of the car near the front axel. I am not completely sure, but the fluid looked watery.

Also the front bumper was replaced because he hit a deer.

I feel like the gentlemen is not telling me something and my knowledge of cars is limited. I appreciate all of your input and thank you so much for taking the time to assist me in this matter. Any information about the issues the vehicle may have as well as what I should pay for the car should I choose to purchase it is absolutely fantastic.

·
Premium Member
45,257 Posts
I'd just walk away. Too many problems. The first problem you mentioned sounds like compressor surge or spark blowout or just a blow off valve doing it's job. The water liquid can be anything from the ac condensation to water coming off the body or chassis from being Previously washed or a coolant leak that's more water than coolant.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't know Pizza. Some of the "issues" may be just inexperienced. (edit: looks like you edited your post :))

After the boost hits there are three or four successions of air that you can hear being released and I do not know enough about these parts to know if this is normal or not?

This may be compressor surge, BOV, or something as simple as the WG solenoid purging air to control the wastegate. My aftermarket solenoid makes a pssh sound when it is boosting as it bleeds off the boost to the 7 psi wastegate. How does it feel? Surge or blow out will make it shudder and/or feel like it loses power for a moment.

Secondly, while the car is in neutral and idling, there is a quiet knocking noise. The owner of the vehicle told me that it is the clutch rattling and with these parts it is normal. The owner told me when the clutch is pressed the noise goes away.

My ACT 6-puck clutch makes a racket when in neutral and idling. Kinda sounds like there are marbles inside the bellhousing. Well maybe that is an exaggeration but it is indeed noisy. Push the pedal in and it goes away. ACT clutches are known to be noisy.

Lastly, there is a fluid leak underneath the passenger side of the car near the front axel. I am not completely sure, but the fluid looked watery.

Watery fluid on the pass side close to the axle is more than likely condensate from the AC core. There is a drain against the firewall that looks like a floppy black hose hanging down. Antifreeze is usually neon yellow/green or red/orangish and has a distinct sweet smell. It the fluid was clear and had no smell I bet it is condensate given the hot weather. AC or defroster will spin the AC compressor and it will produce condensate. The oil cooler is also located back there and it could be leaking as the hoses from the factory are not that great IMO.

Meh... As long as the front radiator support, fenders, and headlight housings are straight with no gaps I wouldn't sweat it.

I would consider this car if I had the chance to look at it and was in the market. A car that makes ~500/500 on nigel's dyno isn't a slouch by any means and it seems to have "good" parts on it.

I can't say what to pay for it as that is up to you and your bank/wallet. Make an offer that you feel is reasonable, wait for a counter, counter back, and meet in the middle. Maybe kick out $7k and settle on $8k?? Dunno. I am cheap so I would start at $5K :lol:.

Only thing I don't dig is the front bumper.... EVO "mods" belong on EVO's IMO.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dodge Neon SRT-4

I test drove this vehicle today. It was gorgeous, clean, but I do have some concerns...

I feel like the gentlemen is not telling me something and my knowledge of cars is limited. I appreciate all of your input and thank you so much for taking the time to assist me in this matter. Any information about the issues the vehicle may have as well as what I should pay for the car should I choose to purchase it is absolutely fantastic.
Ok, I agree with what was said above. The air sound is just too difficult to pin down just based on what you are saying? Is it simply the blow off valve? Is this your first time in a turbo car?

Did it sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLAoPSfBAY0

Water on the passenger side sounds like AC condensation. This should be very easy to figure out, get down on the ground and smell it and get some on your fingers...that is if you can get under the car to see where it is coming from.

The rattle is definitely the clutch. My aftermarket clutch does the same thing. Really simple, if the sound goes away when you push it in you are good.

Bumper was replaced. Did he tell you that or did you figure it out? If he told you that then it sounds like he is telling the full story. Also...this is really not a big deal if the title is clean. Just take a good look over it and be sure it looks well done. Was the radiator or intercooler replaced? Sounds like a non-event here.

Did you run a carfax? I have a couple extra I can use. Send me the vin and Ill do it for you.

Looks like a really fun car and the price is not bad. Here is what I would do.

1. Get someone on here that is local. Pay for their gas and time to come and look at this car for you. If you dont know your way around the mechanics of an SRT4 do not buy a highly modified one without it being looked at.

2. Go to the shop where he claims to have had the work done and talk to the mechanic. He may just tell you what you want to hear but its worth a shot.

3. Get a carfax

4. Do a compression check

If someone comes a looks at it with you, and it has good compression and a good carfax then relax and take the plunge. It is a 10 year old highly modified turbo car. There is only so much you can do to minimize risk. The chances it will have problems in the next 20k miles are 99.9% it may be a big problem it may be small we have no way of knowing but good compression and good carfax puts you in a lot better position than just hoping and praying.

So anyway, good luck on this one. Hopefully someone local will jump in here and offer to take a look with you. It is going to be important for you to know some local people and a good shop anyway if you have that car.

I just recently jumped back in and bought my second SRT4 after having one for a short time when they were new. I was very nervous about getting one that was going to blow up the day I picked it up. I did my research pulled a carfax and I think (fingers crossed) I got a good one. I have 1000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. That being said I am 100% prepared for it to blow up tomorrow and if it does Im just going to build the motor and slap a bigger turbo on. It would suck but end up being a blast anyway.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to shoot me the vin if you need that carfax.

·
Premium Member
45,257 Posts
I don't know Pizza. Some of the "issues" may be just inexperienced. (edit: looks like you edited your post :))

This may be compressor surge, BOV, or something as simple as the WG solenoid purging air to control the wastegate. My aftermarket solenoid makes a pssh sound when it is boosting as it bleeds off the boost to the 7 psi wastegate. How does it feel? Surge or blow out will make it shudder and/or feel like it loses power for a moment.

My ACT 6-puck clutch makes a racket when in neutral and idling. Kinda sounds like there are marbles inside the bellhousing. Well maybe that is an exaggeration but it is indeed noisy. Push the pedal in and it goes away. ACT clutches are known to be noisy.

Watery fluid on the pass side close to the axle is more than likely condensate from the AC core. There is a drain against the firewall that looks like a floppy black hose hanging down. Antifreeze is usually neon yellow/green or red/orangish and has a distinct sweet smell. It the fluid was clear and had no smell I bet it is condensate given the hot weather. AC or defroster will spin the AC compressor and it will produce condensate. The oil cooler is also located back there and it could be leaking as the hoses from the factory are not that great IMO.

Meh... As long as the front radiator support, fenders, and headlight housings are straight with no gaps I wouldn't sweat it.

I would consider this car if I had the chance to look at it and was in the market. A car that makes ~500/500 on nigel's dyno isn't a slouch by any means and it seems to have "good" parts on it.

I can't say what to pay for it as that is up to you and your bank/wallet. Make an offer that you feel is reasonable, wait for a counter, counter back, and meet in the middle. Maybe kick out $7k and settle on $8k?? Dunno. I am cheap so I would start at $5K :lol:.

Only thing I don't dig is the front bumper.... EVO "mods" belong on EVO's IMO.

Good luck either way!
Very nice well explained and very informative. Good post all around.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Okay, let me start by saying I KNOW THIS CAR. First of all, this car is 100% solid and a great runner. I KNOW VERY WELL the guy who built it, his name is Travis and he owns Sleepless Performance. He is a very reputable dude who KNOWS SRT4's like the back of his hand. In fact, he is tuning my car for E85 when this post was written. Ask any local and they will have nothing but great things to say about him. Have you ever owned a turbo car or an SRT4? The things you listed seem to be questions that would come from an inexperienced individual. No offense, just being brutally honest. :thumbsup:

Now, I know it has been covered by Atroph, but I'll give my swing at it:

Can almost guarantee this is the blow off valve, or maybe compressor surge.

Can also almost guarantee this is the 6-puck clutch. To virgin ears, it may sound a bit like a "knock". It most surely is not. The engine in this car is in grade A health.

This makes me laugh.... Did you put your fingers in it and feel the viscosity and smell it? I am 80% sure this is the A/C condensation.

Who cares..... As long as it has an authentic OEM front bumper you are already in good shape as it is.

Contact Travis if you have any doubts. It is a straight and true car. I'm not doubting your experience with these cars since I don't know you, but if you're new to them why on Earth would you buy a big turbo car as your first one? (I'm making assumptions)

Have fun shopping. I'm not trying to come off dickish, just lending some wisdom. Are you local to Detroit Metro area?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My 2 cents on the clutch rattle...
The SRT has a long crankshaft stroke (4 inch), combine that with a lightweight flywheel and you experience transmission gear backlash at idle and shutdown. The gear chatter goes away when you press the clutch because the snappy rotation of the crankshaft is no longer being fed to the gear assembly.
I lightened my ACT flywheel from 12lbs to 10.5lbs so my chatter was worse than most. The fix to almost eliminate the chatter is to raise the idle speed by 200 RPMs higher than stock with the DSP Predator. The extra flywheel inertia at a slightly higher idle RPM smooths the idle rotation.

Adam Rossi, the car looks like a beast / amazing.

FYI; the material removal was inboard of the starter gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
i offered $8k for this car without even test driving it, not only it looks clean but travis hunt worked on it and stood behind it .. seller declined my offer so i moved on .. i still think its worth $9k in its condition but i wasn't willing to pay that for another car in my driveway ( even tho is only $1k but i need to feel I'm getting it my way specially when i already have 4 other cars )

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is a nice car all around for the mileage and seems well taken care of. Like stated above 500 on Nigel's dyno is a high 10 second car with a driver. I wouldn't pay 9k. Just in mods alone you have a good amount of revenue. 8k-8500 max! Goood luck with the purchase, please respect the car if not you will end up wrecking it quick. ??

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with the above posts but one thing they are leaving out is that if you are getting chatter with the clutch out that goes away when the clutch is pressed it could possibly be a bad throw out bearing. Which could lead to a pricy fix or a lot of work on your part of you did it your self.

When it comes to these cars I would say if your not a tech savy person I would tend to stay away from any thing with lots of mods even if it's been properly done. These cars need lots of attention to stay running tiptop. If you have to run to a shop every time you hear something it could get expensive really fast. But the same can be said for an all stock car too. If you don't know how to work things out your self or you are the type who is afraid to take things apart to find the problem it could be a real nightmare. If that's not the case then go for it these cars are the best. Good luck with your purchase

·
Premium Member
45,257 Posts

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
And that's why I love this forum. The wealth of info that was given to the OP, could not have been matched by responses on FB. Adam, keep looking for that right SRT4, you will love it.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
And that's why I love this forum. The wealth of info that was given to the OP, could not have been matched by responses on FB. Adam, keep looking for that right SRT4, you will love it.
Hate the FB format, it really sucks trying to keep up and find information on there.

·
Premium Member
45,257 Posts
Hate the FB format, it really sucks trying to keep up and find information on there.
Me too. I couldn't even find the post where i found my side skirts to thank the seller. I couldn't imagine if i got scammed and tried to find the guy to get my money back or the thread to check the details of the item just paid for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts