1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I bought my '04 SRT-4 in May and spent $5,000 on the following mods:
1. ATP T-4 Dual ball-bearing turbo and turbo manifold
2. ATP Upper Pressure Pipe
3. ATP down-pipe w/3" race-pipe (no cat)
4. Greddy Type-S BOV
5. TiAL 38mm wastegate
6. Mopar short-throw shifter
7. ClutchMaster's 4-puck Stage III clutch
8. Greddy Profec B II boost controller
9. Apex-i SAFC II
10. RC 750cc injectors
11. Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Cost of my SRT-4 off the lot, $20,995. Add in upgrades and I have about $26,000 spent.

Lately I've been wanting a WRX STi, thinking AWD would be nice and comptimplated selling my SRT-4 in order to get one. Read on...

Well, Friday night I test-drove the black '05 WRX STi that I've been looking at. *DISAPPOINTMENT*
The car felt decent off the line, but the powerband seems to make the best power up to 4,000rpms and then tragically falls off as to where I've been use to the powerband coming on strong at 3,000rpms and pulling hard all the way to redline. I know just from driving the two cars that mine is faster; particularly in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. The STi seemed extremely quiet winding through the gears even at 7,000rpm. My SRT-4 off the lot sounded like it had balls (which it does) as opposed to the STi which sounded quieter than my Grandmother's Dodge Dynasty. Although I'm sure me being use to my 3" race-pipe and no cat didn't help any either. Sitting inside the vehicle I noticed three things very quickly. 1) The doors are much shorter & seem to sit higher than the SRT-4. 2) The center console and shifter seem to sit a good 4"-6" higher, making it very uncomfortable to shift. The shifter itself seemed very loose and the clutch was very soft, giving you a false sense of when engagement was. And 3)The seat just simply sits way too low, which is probably cause to the above problems.
Next thing that jumped out at me was the dash. It seemed much closer than in my car. The windshield and the cabin period are boxy and smaller than in my
SRT-4... not a good thing. One thing I did like better are the look of the gauges. Unfortunately the boost gauge is on the left side of the steering column, which is a bad place for me seeing how I usually drive with my left hand on top of the wheel and shifting with my right. The boost gauge is much more well placed in the SRT-4. BTW: Did you know the boost gauge in an STi is an option? You have to pay $319 on top of the already high $30K+ price to get one! (Where they get $319 for a boost gauge is beyond me). In SRT-4's as you know, they are standard.
One comment about the engine: Cramped as hell, made my 2.4L "Neon" engine look like a 350 V-8 in a '70 Chevelle. Their 2.5L "Boxer" engine looks like 8lbs. of potatoes in a 5lb. bag. The hood scoop is freaking huge and is even more evident when driving. It's like having a cowl hood practically; you can't see much except on the left and right side of the scoop.
We took a few turns, fairly impressive but not a giant difference like I thought it'd be. Overall I had a bad impression, perhaps with all the hype and good things I heard about the WRX STi I had my standards high. For the performance per $ the SRT-4 is head & shoulders above the STi. I just didn't feel the AWD STi was worth another $10,000+ dollars...even if it does come with an intercooler sprayer.
Just for kicks I asked what the payments would be. With 0 down at 7.9% interest for 60 months: $664.91! Ha! No thanks! I'll continue with my mods on the SRT-4 and whomp the shit out of an STi. :hi: I'll save 3-4K dollars, do a larger FMIC, a standalone fuel management system, lightweight turbo pistons, cam, strut tower & sway bars and am sure I'll be happy with that power/handling.

So I have decided not to sell my SRT-4, not that I was really looking forward to it anyway after doing so much work to it in such a short amount of time. "Sometimes you just have to see the other side of the fence to see how green it really isn't."

Oh, one last thing: F*ck $600/mo. payments! Try saving for mods then. -Yeah, right! It's no wonder you see more SRT-4's on the road!

-22 year-old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree that the srt-4 is probably better for the money than the sti or the evo. I have a evo, but only because I was able to get a heck of a deal from the dealer. My first choice was the srt-4. My brother has the srt-4, and another relative has a sti. My bro's srt-4 is definitely the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
yea dont get me wrong i love the sti ... but would rather have an evo 8 <simply for inline 4 purposes> and the srt-4 IN A STRAIGHT LINE is just as good as any of those ... its just in those corners we start to see where that 10k came from.. but the srt can me made to handle extremely well... but for some people out there they just want the performance right off the lot and have no plan on modding it to any extent.. ohh and those people that automaticly think that since the car is 10k more its leaps and bounds better then the other one

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I've driven an STi & Evo, both were sweet ass cars. I just wasn't all about the high monthly payments & insurance. AWD is nice, but for most of my driving "highway" it really didn't matter much.

I agree, the SRT-4 is the best bang for the buck. But, if I made more money & wanted to keep the car stock.... who knows.... Evo or Sti might have been my choice.?.?

But, I know I'll never keep a car stock & the SRT-4 is cheaper to own & modify. Imagine loosing your warranty on your 30k car! :wah?!: Not my bag of chips... I love all 3, Evo, STi & SRT-4.. I'm just glad I own one of them, even if it happens to be a Neon. :eveilgrin I'm sure the SRT-4 will be an old skool cult classic car someday. :bandit:

·
Registered
246 Posts
As the current owner of an '04 SRT-4 with Stage 2 w/toys and a new '05 STI owner, I agree with some of your comments. The STI feels slower and much less torquey than the SRT-4. Realize I only have 250 miles on the STI and the SRT-4 has Stage 2. I'm hoping the STI engine will break in and live up to its reputation.

All of the STIs I looked at had the armrest extension option which sits up way too high and hits your elbow on shifting. There is even a mod for modifying the armrest with the stock lid to lower the overall height. The doors are very tinny, compared to the SRT-4, and the stereo sounds like trash. Amazingly, neither the STI, nor the EVO, both $32,000+ stickers, come stock with a boost guage. At least the STI's factory accessory boost guage is in a useful location, on top of the steering column, as opposed th the location of the EVO's factory option boost guage which is part of a guage package that installs at the bottom of the dash console well below the radio and out of the driver's line of sight. I relocated my boost gauge to the right side of the steering column as it blocked the ambient temperature readout completely. Also, the STI does not come with fog lights standard. For 32K...huh? Interestingly, last year's STI didn't even have a radio!

Now some of the good points. The Brembo brakes on the car are awesome. It does come with an auto-dimming inside mirror, part of an option package that every one I saw had, automatic temperature control, HID headlights, FOUR power windows, momo steering wheel, BBS wheels, driver adjustable center differential, height adjustable headlights, a six speed transmission, and, of course, AWD. I like the seats in the SRT-4, or the Recaros in the EVO, for that matter, better than the seats in the STI. I also think the SRT-4 is the hands down choice for 21K. The STI is designed for a completely different demographic.

I'm just hoping that the car becomes the rocket sled that EVERY magazine road test says it is. I'm kinda' banking on the belief that they can't all be wrong. Final thought:why do Japanese cars have to feel so Japanese????

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I also test drove the STI before buying my SRT-4. But the payments woulda been $150 higher. I love my ride, especially because of the potential upgrades. I only wish I coulda test drove an EVO. But then again, payments woulda been a big factor in my decision.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Your also comparing a stock shifters height to an aftermarket one, and a stock, not broken in engine, to a highly modified one. As for the cramped engine compartment-its a flat boxer engine compared to an inline 4. One is going to take up more space. That also doesn't mean that its not easy to modify the car. It seems like you were comparing creature comforts of the cars, rather than the performance, because if you were driving the STI all out around the corners, it would've easily shown you why its regarded as such a great handling car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
bikeluver43 said:
Your also comparing a stock shifters height to an aftermarket one, and a stock, not broken in engine, to a highly modified one. As for the cramped engine compartment-its a flat boxer engine compared to an inline 4. One is going to take up more space. That also doesn't mean that its not easy to modify the car. It seems like you were comparing creature comforts of the cars, rather than the performance, because if you were driving the STI all out around the corners, it would've easily shown you why its regarded as such a great handling car.
It's not the height of the shifter, it's the height of the armrest extension.

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
if you have the money...... then its all good..... but if you dont enjoy spending five hundred or more a month......... then the SRT-4 is the best choice...

But i also feel that if your into performance, and your willing to spend over 30 grand.... then why wouldnt you try and find a Cobra?????????????????????

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
So let me get this straight, you're comparing your SRT with $5k worth of mods to an unbroken in STi?

:rolleyes:

It almost sounds like you didn't want to like the STi even before you got into the car. Who complains about how the engine looks under the hood?

-faast

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Last week I test drove a used, bone stock '04 STi with about 5k miles on the clock. The car pulled hard and handled incredibly. That fucker felt so planted to the ground and so agile it was amazing. Weight distribution is everything and even though the SRT-4 is a couple hundred pounds lighter the STi felt nimbler.

The seats were awesome IMHO. I've heard some people complain that they're too wide but at 6'3" 230 they were perfect for me. I also noticed that I couldn't rest my left elbow on the door because of the height. It's not a huge deal but it will take some getting used to. I also wasn't too happy with the throw on the stock shifter but since I have the Mopar STS it's not a fair comparison. It sounds like most Subaru dealers have been installing the short throw shifters on their '05 STi models anyway though. The car also rattled a lot. Not annoying squeaks or anything like that, just that kind of rattling you hear when there's not a lot of sound deadening material.

Performance aside, Subarus tend to hold their value very well. They're also incredibly safe cars. In fact the Impreza has been the number 1 rated car for frontal impact collisions for 3 years running now. They also offer side impact airbags STANDARD. Mitsubishi doesn't even offer them as an option on the Evo, and Dodge offers them as an option on the SRT-4 but you lose the aggressiveness of the Viper seats.

Next spring I'll be getting an '05 STi barring any unforseen financial disasters.

·
Registered
189 Posts
"We took a few turns, fairly impressive but not a giant difference like I thought it'd be"

Heres a recap of my test drive of the WRX I bought:

Sales guy: Ok there is a wide alley coming up I want you to turn into it
Me: Ok, np.
Sales guy: Don't use your brakes
Me: huh?
Sales guy: trust me, dont use your brakes
Me thinking "Ok this guy is crazy I'm gonna spin out and hit a wall or something"

Turn comes up. I bite my lip and turn in at 35mph.
The tires screech, the car gets sideways and goes into a 4 wheel drift all the way through the turn.

Right then and there I fell in love with AWD. I'm never going back to FWD/RWD EVER again.

Sorry you didn't get to experience that in an Sti. It's a freakin rush drifting (breaking the ass loose and just watching the car stay stable). Mind you I didnt need to countersteer to get the ass straightend out like you need to do in a RWD/FWD.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think that the STI will last alot longer than the SRT-4. Don't get me wrong I love my SRT but I love the reliability of japanese cars. I think that the 30,000 dollars is worth it!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikeluver43 said:
The whole center console, shifter, and arm-rest felt too high. As far as referring to the shifter, I was referring to how soft it felt going into gears; not knowing if you're actually IN the gear or not. I did do an aftermarket short-throw in my SRT-4 but I also remember how it felt back when it was stock and the SRT-4 didn't have you guessing which gear you were in.

I drove the STi around some good turns -AWD truly is impressive but to me it wasn't so impressive that it was worth $10,000 more.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
moltenice said:
if you have the money...... then its all good..... but if you dont enjoy spending five hundred or more a month......... then the SRT-4 is the best choice...

But i also feel that if your into performance, and your willing to spend over 30 grand.... then why wouldnt you try and find a Cobra?????????????????????
Because Cobra's suck. Mustangs in general do. Riddle me this: Ford had to SUPERCHARGE a V-8 to get it to do 13.3 in the 1/4 mile with 390hp. The 2002 Camaro Z-28's and Tran Ams were N/A V-8's with 315hp and ran the 1/4 mile in 13.5 secs. 2002 Cobra's were more expensive than Z-28's or Trans Ams in 2002. If I were going to spend $30,000 on a car, I'd do it on something that was AWD 13.3 than RWD 13.3 1/4 mile.

But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.