Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
64/36 front to rear weight distribution on the srt? if you can just imagine something around 45/55 the car would not only handle better but it'd also be faster. so i was thinking of ways to correct this and the only came up with a couple of things that help all of which suck ass.

1) lighten up the front(ie cf hood, cf bumper etc.)
2) get a really big sub
3) throw some weights in the back of the car

the pvo guys did a awesome job designing the srt but meh guess they missed or didn't really care about weight distribution. i know some people also put slicks on the front two tires and that even makes it worse. if you don't think terrible weight distribution can ave adverse effects on speed you need to open your eyes :)

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
LOL you think you have traction problems now....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The only problem with the battery in the trunk is tracks require you to have a shutoff button located outside the car and that would be ugly...

·
"Made" Member
75,379 Posts
Yeah, it depends on your wants and needs. That kind of distribution is
pretty good for drag racing. More weight over the front wheels = more traction.

You can make up for weight distribution issues by changing parts to make
it handle better, but a light front end would weild an unusable 300lb/ft of torque.

~castrol

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Add weight to the rear and look for even worse traction. Front wheel drive cars are made front heavy along with a steep rake to increase forward weight mass on the front to get the tires to hook up. What happens when you launch your car hard? The front end raises under torque making the rear end squat. This makes the front end light and therefore reducing the tire patch contact on the pavement. So you will not be faster at least in a straight line.

Equaling out the bias F/R weight distribution for circuit or autocross type racing or general every day driving through sweepers. However, with our current bias weight distribution, you'd have to add alot to to the rear to equal out the front, but this will change the handling characterisitic dramatically from the design of the car. Going with good aftermarket suspension, sway bars, strut bars, and tires will help you correct alot of the deviations in the cars geometry. This takes alot of tuning of those componants to get the set-up right.

It's just a matter of your driving style and what you use your car for the most.

·
Registered
423 Posts
For handling, removing weight from the front end, or moving weight from the front to the back would be good. For drag racing, it would be bad, you want as much of the car's weight as possible on the drive wheels.

Just plain adding weight to the rear, would make the car heavier overall. I think that would more than offset any gain of getting a better weight distribution.

I'm no roadracing expert though.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
AHA, perfect time for me to post

I have a 300lb system in my trunk...customized of course...the back end sits about an inch or a little more lower than a stock srt-4 and I have stock springs...

TRACTION SUCKS....but I'm not about to get rid of my system...just going to have to get coilovers and lower the front all the way and raise the back all the way :readclose

·
Registered
938 Posts
SRT ACE said:
The only problem with the battery in the trunk is tracks require you to have a shutoff button located outside the car and that would be ugly...

Really?
What if the car came that way from the factory?
My Miata (a real barn burner with it's 110 whp 1.8L) has it's battery in the trunk.
I'm just wondering because I thought about adding a turbo and would of course then run it at a drag strip.

·
Banned
256 Posts
I don't THINK you need one for cars like miatas that are have the battery in the trunk stock. Of course, I've only been to the local 1/8 mile drag strip where you can run without a hood and do all sorts of other crazy stuff.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sounds like a good wait distribution for those of us that like drag racing

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
you only have to install a kill switch on the exterior of your car if you move the battery from it's stock mounting location wherever it may be. I am currently doing a battery relocate, just got my kill switch today in fact. Mount the kill switch behind the rear license plate and it's not even visible unless you need it to be. I like the idea of a kill switch, I mean talk about a great security system!

·
Banned
256 Posts
That's a really good idea on where to mount the kill switch.

·
Registered
449 Posts
avftomat said:
the pvo guys did a awesome job designing the srt but meh guess they missed or didn't really care about weight distribution.
Funny thing about a front drive front engine car, all of the heavy bits are up front. Not much you can do to design that out of an FF car it unless you know a way to bypass gravity.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
With swaybars, strut tower braces, and tires it would not be hard to get the SRT-4 into the .9g skippads and around 80 mph slalom I'd bet... that's actually extremely good handling.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts