Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got the TechGauges tri-mode gauge in the mail today, along with a Kinetic WGA. It feels like Christmas!

Anyway, I hooked up the gauge (incredibly easy by the way) and went out for some baseline runs after I got home from work.

Car is a stock '05, running on 91 Octane California gas. Temp outside was low 60's. Car mileage is just over 8500.

I did a few hard runs from a stop, as well as hard runs in 2nd and 3rd (couldn't go on the freeway because of rush hour).

Timing: WOT Timing (BTDC) was usually around 42.5 degrees, I saw as high as 53 on one WOT run.

Knock: Knock was "usually" there when I hammered it. Not every time, but most times. It was around 1.0 over half the time, but I did see as high as 2.5 on a couple runs.

Do these results seem typical?

Should I install the Kinetic and see what the results are on 14lbs at redline? Or should I try and get rid of the small amount of knock first?

I also have a 180 thermostat I haven't installed yet. I'm assuming that would help slightly with the knock?

A FMIC would probably help as well, correct? What about things that would help the spark, such as new plugs, and upgraded Mopar performance wires?

P.S. I highly recommend this gauge, good quality, and it literally took about 1 minute to install. I can already see it's going to be a great help in determing how much boost I can run on a daily basis.

Any comments, thoughts, or suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey very good info. It would be nice to get a lot of these results together. I'm getting one of these new OBD based gauges in the next week, but I think I'm going with the aeroforce ones just because of the logging capability and also to be able to read and clear codes. Although the tech gauges guy is awesome for customer service. I'll post up my baseline results when I get mine in.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
nathanstl said:
because of the logging capability and also to be able to read and clear codes
reading codes can be done in the car already, clearing is as simple as unhooking the battery. :)

Anyway, not knocking aeroforce, just stating for anyone who might not know.

Back to the original poster. Your knock is truly nothing to worry about. That's almost nothing, it's not even worth worrying about. Your timing seems quite high, however. Most people with stock or S1 cars see timing in the upper-20's to lower-30's at WOT. Are you sure you're reading it correctly? I only ask because 40's timing at WOT is beyond insanity, straight into ludacris mode.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Pit Viper said:
reading codes can be done in the car already, clearing is as simple as unhooking the battery. :)

Back to the original poster. Your knock is truly nothing to worry about. That's almost nothing, it's not even worth worrying about. Your timing seems quite high, however. Most people with stock or S1 cars see timing in the upper-20's to lower-30's at WOT. Are you sure you're reading it correctly? I only ask because 40's timing at WOT is beyond insanity, straight into ludacris mode.
Outside temps are in the 60's. ;)

On the dyno my car hit 35+ degrees of timing at 20psi w/ the AIT reading 82 degrees. The colder the incoming air, the more timing the ECU will run. This is why WI sees such big gains.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Pit Viper said:

DITTO!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Wonder what kind of timing a S2 with HOM mode runs... ?
I'll find out soon enough...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
KR is very good. Up to 4-5 would actually be fine.

Your timing almost looks like HOM timing. If this is S0 then I might have to put mine back in.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Pit Viper said:
mario03srt said:

x3!!! Your numbers sounds a little out there to me... Make sure you aren't in MAX mode on the guage because it might be picking up some part throttle stuff and storing that. I have put my guage in a 4-5 SRTs are all are pretty similar. 20s in the mid range upto about 30 at the top of the gear (assuming no/little knock).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it.

The gauge was definitely not in MAX mode, the numbers were constantly changing.

I was watching it on the way to work this morning, under normal driving conditions I don't see any knock whatsoever. Even when getting on it a little bit, it stays at 0. However, as soon as I hammer it to the floor, the gauge starts flashing and I see 1.0, saw 2.0 a couple times this morning.

I was also seeing high 30's, low 40's BTDC at WOT, again it's winter time and cold out so take that with a grain of salt. Also keep in mind I'm on 91 Octane.

But if the consensus is that the current knock is nothing to worry about, that's great! Because I have this Kinetic WGA just sitting here waiting to be installed :readclose

Also just for the heck of it, I am going to pick up a bottle of this tonight at AutoZone and then fill the car up and see if I can get the knock down a bit, I'm curious to see if it brings the numbers down. I'll let you know if this product helps at all.

I'll also post up the results of the runs after installing the WGA, although not sure if I can get to it this weekend or not.

·
Registered
219 Posts
with my set up i spike 22-23 hold 15-17. my timing with w/i is

3000-4000 rpm =22-27
4000-5000 rpm =27-33
5000-6000 rpm =33-37

have not run car since 12.70 and have added w/i and tech gauge to moniter timing. i know the inital spike is hurting timing and that is why timing is so low at 3000.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should also specify that when the knock hits the timing drops to high teens/low twenties.

Riding around today at part throttle, no boost, I was watching the timing, and half the time it was in the low 50s!! The other half was low 40s.

I picked up the Lucas Oil "real" Octane Booster and poured it into the tank. Too tired to go back out and get some baselines. I'll watch the gauge on the way to work in the morning and see if it helps reduce the knock when I hammer it. I'll post up the results tomorrow when I get to work.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
most ive ever seen at WOT is like 32 deg, when you push close to the map sensor limit (ie like 16-17 psi) I usually see 25 deg at WOT

HOM is like +10 timing.. i think in my friends car it was doing 40-42 deg in HOM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts