Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Boris "I want to blow up the UK" Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
232941 - 232960 of 233048 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Only about 3 miles today, but that's better than I've been doing. Could have done the 4-5 mile loop. Knees don't like powering up the hills repeatedly so I'm going to move the route to be more smaller hills and fewer steep ones, at least for the next week or two.
i've been using a GPS app to track my progress. 1 full lap around my neighborhood is about 3.5 miles. so depending on whether i do 2 or 3 laps is where i'm getting the 7-10 miles. Its relatively flat here. There is only one hill i have to contend with at the back of the neighborhood.

·
Administrator
39,149 Posts
Neighbor is having some TALL pine trees cut down. Crew has been busy for like 5 hrs already. Been quite loud with chainsaws and giant chippers.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I really wish the Samsung S10e would go down in price. The battery life on my LG G7 shows estimates of a little over 8 hours after being fully charged. That's not good.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Are you looking to buy it outright or something? My S10e is on an 18 month lease from Sprint for $20 per month. (love it)

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
i've been using a GPS app to track my progress. 1 full lap around my neighborhood is about 3.5 miles. so depending on whether i do 2 or 3 laps is where i'm getting the 7-10 miles. Its relatively flat here. There is only one hill i have to contend with at the back of the neighborhood.
I had been using RunKeeper for about 6 years and then a couple of months ago it began stopping my activity before I was done. Happened with the auto-pause feature turned on or off. I'd get done with 3 miles and it would say something like 1.7 mi. WTF man?!! haha So I tried troubleshooting but couldn't fix it. Other people online are having the same problem.
Using the free Samsung activity tracker now that came with my phone and I think I actually like it better than RunKeeper.

·
Administrator
39,149 Posts
My neighbor decided that 110° heat index not a cloud in the sky afternoon was a perfect time to mow her yard, that wasn't even at short rough height.

There was a house fire a few miles away and crews were there throughout the worst part of the day. At least 2 taken to the hospital. :( Similar thing happened a week or two ago. Same crews started the day working a deck collapse that sent one to the hospital and had 6 or 7 others stuck on the still standing section.

·
Administrator
39,149 Posts
holy crap. Sooooo many parents flipping out over the Board of Ed's decision to start the school year with 9 weeks of remote learning instead of a split approach with K-6 in person no more than 12 per room and 7-12 being remote. We were looking at needing to hire probably 25-30 teachers in the next 2 weeks to handle the changes, and there are already about 10 positions open that need to be filled before the 17th of August. I get that you'll have to figure out a way to have your kids supervised on days you work, but this way you know wtf is going on for the next 3 months. The alternative is to have groups of students/staff get shoved into home quarantine once anyone in contact with that group tests positive. There's no good solution, just less bad ones.

·
Super Moderator
28,335 Posts
Are you looking to buy it outright or something? My S10e is on an 18 month lease from Sprint for $20 per month. (love it)
I would like to buy the s10e outright. My buddy showed me his Samsung Fold the other day. He is my only friend that owns one. He loves the camera, battery life and the ability to switch from single screen to dual or big screen.
The price, though, is way too much for me!

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
holy crap. Sooooo many parents flipping out over the Board of Ed's decision to start the school year with 9 weeks of remote learning instead of a split approach with K-6 in person no more than 12 per room and 7-12 being remote. We were looking at needing to hire probably 25-30 teachers in the next 2 weeks to handle the changes, and there are already about 10 positions open that need to be filled before the 17th of August. I get that you'll have to figure out a way to have your kids supervised on days you work, but this way you know wtf is going on for the next 3 months. The alternative is to have groups of students/staff get shoved into home quarantine once anyone in contact with that group tests positive. There's no good solution, just less bad ones.
We were given 2 options for our kids. 100% distance learning for the first semester for high and middle school and first 9 weeks for elementary, or a split in-person attendance for that same time frame. Basically our kids will attend for 2 days a week in person and then have 2 days of "distance" learning (half the school mon/tues, half thur/fri) . the 5th day (wednesday) is a day for cleaning the school.

Reactions: friend088

·
Super Moderator
28,335 Posts
We were given 2 options for our kids. 100% distance learning for the first semester for high and middle school and first 9 weeks for elementary, or a split in-person attendance for that same time from. Basically our kids will attend for 2 days a week in person and then have 2 days of "distance" learning (half the school mon/tues, half thur/fri) . the 5th day (wednesday) is a day for cleaning the school.
I don't have any children but I think it's great that parents have options. We are doing similar things here with our Florida schools in Tampa Bay. Some of my teacher friends have spoken up against opening up schools right away.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I'm torn on the subject. Of course i want my kids safe and to not get sick, but i also want them to be social and live life. I have 3 daughters who are all at pivotal points in their education (1 starts high school this year (9th grade), one starts middle (6th grade), and one starts elementary (kindergarten) and i wish they could just have a normal school year.

Reactions: friend088

·
Registered
761 Posts
The school stuff is challenging. I have a preschooler and two grade schoolers. They were going to do two days in class and three days at home, but now it's looking like it's going to be all at home, like it was for the end of last school year. It makes for a tough time for my wife at home, but at least her job is on hiatus for a while. I do wish my kids had more social time with the other kids, but at the same time, I can't have them bringing respiratory illness into the house. My wife has really bad asthma and it could wipe her out. It's kind of scary right now.

·
Administrator
39,149 Posts
We were given 2 options for our kids. 100% distance learning for the first semester for high and middle school and first 9 weeks for elementary, or a split in-person attendance for that same time frame. Basically our kids will attend for 2 days a week in person and then have 2 days of "distance" learning (half the school mon/tues, half thur/fri) . the 5th day (wednesday) is a day for cleaning the school.
This was one of the options presented, but teachers didn't like it as you end up with split lesson plans and things that get way out of sync. It's also impossible beyond 6th grade as the kids don't all have standardized schedules so their "cohorts" get jumbled up based on when non-core classes are available, as well as honors and ap classes. Most 7th and many 8th still all take the same classes, but have extras like music or foreign language or advanced art. All middle schoolers change teachers for each core subject so a positive kid makes that cohort and all of their teachers get sent to quarantine. If it's a teacher then all of the classes get f'd.

I see some states could go back to normal with minor changes like less group work and hand sanitizer in each room, plus mandatory stay at home for anyone with any illness. Most can't as community spread WILL send teachers and staff home or to the hospital and we, as a nation, were already short on people in schools.

For me unless something opens up I'll see my school associated income drop by 70% for the year with photography dropping by at least 50%. I want the schools to open up, but I also don't want to see people I know get sick.

·
Super Moderator
28,335 Posts
Bought a Google Home Hub for the kitchen today. Like it so far. Gonna put the other Google speaker in one of the guest rooms. Have a Google speaker in almost every room now. A littler nerdy, maybe, but they are so cheap, especially the mini ones.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Bought a Google Home Hub for the kitchen today. Like it so far. Gonna put the other Google speaker in one of the guest rooms. Have a Google speaker in almost every room now. A littler nerdy, maybe, but they are so cheap, especially the mini ones.

I have a home mini in my work-from-home area (which is also next to the kitchen).
Here's pretty much the extent of my commands:
Hey Google...
Play X-Rock
Play Lite FM
Play radio station The River
Play radio station XRT
Volume 10%, or 20%
Turn Off
😁

·
Super Moderator
28,335 Posts
I have a home mini in my work-from-home area (which is also next to the kitchen).
Here's pretty much the extent of my commands:
Hey Google...
Play X-Rock
Play Lite FM
Play radio station The River
Play radio station XRT
Volume 10%, or 20%
Turn Off
I ask a lot of weather and news, turn on and off lights in bedroom, kitchen, and living room.
Today I played trivia with it and now that sports is coming back soon I will be asking for sports scores.
Oh yes, and usually ask it to play country music!

·
Super Moderator
34,440 Posts

We have either a Google or echo assistant in pretty much every room as well. Very useful for controlling electronics and lighting.

I even have two more that aren't even opened because I got them for free and don't really have a place to use them. Might take one to my office.

One of them I got from Google randomly when I opened YouTube one day, the other one I got from Sirius for opening a new trial membership for $1/month for 3 months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,335 Posts
We have either a Google or echo assistant in pretty much every room as well. Very useful for controlling electronics and lighting.

I even have two more that aren't even opened because I got them for free and don't really have a place to use them. Might take one to my office.

One of them I got from Google randomly when I opened YouTube one day, the other one I got from Sirius for opening a new trial membership for $1/month for 3 months.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Funny I think I have one or two extra minis as well!

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Funny, I got my mini for free because my daughter had an extra one. 😄

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
This was one of the options presented, but teachers didn't like it as you end up with split lesson plans and things that get way out of sync. It's also impossible beyond 6th grade as the kids don't all have standardized schedules so their "cohorts" get jumbled up based on when non-core classes are available, as well as honors and ap classes. Most 7th and many 8th still all take the same classes, but have extras like music or foreign language or advanced art. All middle schoolers change teachers for each core subject so a positive kid makes that cohort and all of their teachers get sent to quarantine. If it's a teacher then all of the classes get f'd.

I see some states could go back to normal with minor changes like less group work and hand sanitizer in each room, plus mandatory stay at home for anyone with any illness. Most can't as community spread WILL send teachers and staff home or to the hospital and we, as a nation, were already short on people in schools.

For me unless something opens up I'll see my school associated income drop by 70% for the year with photography dropping by at least 50%. I want the schools to open up, but I also don't want to see people I know get sick.
i've been calling other peoples kids petri dishes for years... teachers probably have the strongest immune systems in the world! haha

Reactions: bzzt
232941 - 232960 of 233048 Posts