Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Boris "I want to blow up the UK" Johnson

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
232661 - 232680 of 232726 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
"Florida Man wants to go play golf with buddies, infects 60,000 people within weeks, 4000 die."
Golf is essential here. I played last Saturday. We all have separate golf carts. I am not a good player but still have fun when I hit some good shots.

Meanwhile, Happy Friday!
Can anyone recommend good TV cleaning spray/wipes?

Thank you, friends.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
Happy it's time to pay a few bills Tuesday, to my stay in place, social distancing, essential people bros. Friend, thanks for your concern. The geezer is well but going stir crazy from the lack of viewing those nubile bikini clad citizens, on the beach ,by the pool, or cutting their lawn on riding tractors. I'am happy to hear about your moving into a new house. I wish you many happy years of enjoying the inside and back yard of your property. Be careful about encouraging to much social drinking events, your weight will suffer.lol . It will be another 3 weeks before restaurants and bars re-open for full business. Stay well.
Stow, your room looks good. I guess our friendly spammer was checking to see if the geezer was still alive lol.
JmalB, Az made a wise decision to implement the stay in place policy. That policy truly work. Your wife will be in a tricky situation, I hope things will work out to your family benefit.
Smoger I hope all is well with you your house, wife, work and your new dog. PA is in line to get a dose of the virus stay well.
Bzzt Chicago is facing a trying time with the bug. Work at home, practice social distancing when shopping, and forget goodwill shopping for a while. Be well.
@srt4 Geezer
Have you been social distancing?
Hurricane season is just upon us!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
We just reopened our golf course last Monday.
With strict social distancing rules.
No more than one person per cart (same rental rate when more than one in group)..
Only members of the same household play together.
All doors in clubhouse propped open to minimize touching points.
No ball warshers (???).
Clubhouse sanitized twice daily.
Hope it works out.
We will see.
We don't play golf...

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
People lined up for miles to get across the bridge when it opened up at midnight. Fucking idiots. They are pissed they couldn't get across sooner just means they didn't read anything about reentry that said 12:01 am on the 16th. No rental offices open, certainly no restaurants to get food, no idea where they are all staying overnight.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
People lined up for miles to get across the bridge when it opened up at midnight. Fucking idiots. They are pissed they couldn't get across sooner just means they didn't read anything about reentry that said 12:01 am on the 16th. No rental offices open, certainly no restaurants to get food, no idea where they are all staying overnight.
Maybe there are sleeping on the beach, like this fellow:

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
Apparently it was the Walmart parking lot. Almost no traffic this morning, but several thousand cars at midnight. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Need help with a deal HP all-in-one computer.
It won't power on at all.
Not even seeing the ROM bios screen.
In fact, the screen is black.
No light anymore next to the Power-On button.
But I do hear the Hard Drive whir momentarily and the CD drive click when I press Power-ON.

I took the back cover off and disconnected the CD ribbon but left the hard drive alone.
I did a hard reset (disconnect power, hold Power-ON for 15 seconds, the reconnect power and press Power-ON).
I hear the hard drive whir but not the CD drive click which is expected because it's disconnected.

So I have the Toshiba DT01-ACA-100 hard drive removed and was thinking maybe the all-important data on it could be plugged into a working computer.

Can I connect the Toshiba DT01-ACA-100 to another computer and salvage the data?

I know some of you guys here are gifted with various hardware platforms so I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks..

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
Welp, was driving to my tennis match in Tampa on I275. Car was slow in front of me so I accelerated to go around it and engine light came on. Shortly after engine light started blinking so I pulled over and decided to have it towed to Courtesy Dodge that I go to. Will find out Monday what it is. Extended warranty expired in my 200 in Feb. Just my luck.
Hopefully is isn't anything too expensive or serious.
Hope y'all have a better weekend than me.

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
Need help with a deal HP all-in-one computer.
It won't power on at all.
Not even seeing the ROM bios screen.
In fact, the screen is black.
No light anymore next to the Power-On button.
But I do hear the Hard Drive whir momentarily and the CD drive click when I press Power-ON.

I took the back cover off and disconnected the CD ribbon but left the hard drive alone.
I did a hard reset (disconnect power, hold Power-ON for 15 seconds, the reconnect power and press Power-ON).
I hear the hard drive whir but not the CD drive click which is expected because it's disconnected.

So I have the Toshiba DT01-ACA-100 hard drive removed and was thinking maybe the all-important data on it could be plugged into a working computer.

Can I connect the Toshiba DT01-ACA-100 to another computer and salvage the data?

I know some of you guys here are gifted with various hardware platforms so I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks..
Theoretically yes you can plug the hdd into another computer, but it's not always going to work if you had a power surge that took out components downstream. That looks like a very ordinary 1tb hdd so I'd plug it in and see what happens.

This is why I dislike all in one systems. Difficult to troubleshoot and basically impossible to repair because the PSU and motherboard are non-standard and more things are likely soldered on instead of expansion slots.

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
Welp, was driving to my tennis match in Tampa on I275. Car was slow in front of me so I accelerated to go around it and engine light came on. Shortly after engine light started blinking so I pulled over and decided to have it towed to Courtesy Dodge that I go to. Will find out Monday what it is. Extended warranty expired in my 200 in Feb. Just my luck.
Hopefully is isn't anything too expensive or serious.
Hope y'all have a better weekend than me.

That sucks, we had similar things happen with the Focus after warranty and fought to get them covered.

Beach accesses packed today, every boat ramp overflowing, Jeep and bike groups out driving around like idiots, not going anywhere, just cruising around and weaving through traffic or parking on the side of the road. Most people out and about seemed like day trippers who don't spend money so all the talk about "let us in so we can go to your stores and buy stuff" was bs because except for tj maxxxxxxx was essentially empty. No bars/restaurants open for big money making items. Almost no live music tonight, and now we have a tropical storm watch. All the signs and messages about maintaining social distance was going unenforced.

There's my daily bitchfest blog entry.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Theoretically yes you can plug the hdd into another computer, but it's not always going to work if you had a power surge that took out components downstream. That looks like a very ordinary 1tb hdd so I'd plug it in and see what happens.

This is why I dislike all in one systems. Difficult to troubleshoot and basically impossible to repair because the PSU and motherboard are non-standard and more things are likely soldered on instead of expansion slots.
Thanks Sto, I appreciate the help.
I did more research and read the horror power surge stories.
As usual, the most important part of all of this is the data (I had that drummed into me at Cullinet (IDMS) and Teradata).
We will have no regrets ditching the $300 HP all-in-one which was slower than snot on a cold door handle from day 1.
The disk drive is, from what I can tell, a decent unit which itself retails for about $100.
So I decided to try and salvage the data by connecting the HDD to the USB on my other computer
(also an all-in-one but from Gateway and has always worked well quite well especially since recently upgrading it to Windows 10).

I've ordered the following adapter cable from Amazon and it should arrive here by Monday (but probably later is my guess):
UGREEN SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter Cable for 3.5/2.5 Inch SSD HDD SATA III Hard Drive Disk Converter Support UASP Compatible with Samsung Seagate WD SanDisk Hitachi Toshiba, with 12V Power Adapter

Meanwhile I have got the wife back up and running on my other computer and she is able to continue with her work at the college (still won't retire!).

If the UGREEN thing doesn't pan out, we have a really good, but old, Gateway Multimedia computer in storage which I will try to resurrect.
We paid alot of money for that computer back in the day and the internal hardware layout is pristine.
Not sure if the HDD from the all-in-one will plug into the ribbon cable on the Gateway Multimedia without blowing it up.
It's a very old unit (circa 1995) but disk technology seems more or less the same now as it was then albeit solid state vs the old spinning iron oxide.

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
That sucks, we had similar things happen with the Focus after warranty and fought to get them covered.

Beach accesses packed today, every boat ramp overflowing, Jeep and bike groups out driving around like idiots, not going anywhere, just cruising around and weaving through traffic or parking on the side of the road. Most people out and about seemed like day trippers who don't spend money so all the talk about "let us in so we can go to your stores and buy stuff" was bs because except for tj maxxxxxxx was essentially empty. No bars/restaurants open for big money making items. Almost no live music tonight, and now we have a tropical storm watch. All the signs and messages about maintaining social distance was going unenforced.

There's my daily bitchfest blog entry.
I can definitely notice that more and more people are out and about. FB is showing lots of restaurant and beach photos.

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
@stowaway CNN: Tropical Storm Arthur forms in the Atlantic.
Hopefully it misses you guys.

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
My sump pump seized from inactivity (guessing) so the garage has a bit of water in it from the Tropical Storm. Replaced it with my old pump and at least there's something going right now. Had a kitchen light switch fail over the weekend and some time overnight the gfci outlet came apart (roofers left an extension cord plugged in on the ground, and now underwater, probably the cause).

It. Never. Ends.

·
Super Moderator
28,253 Posts
My sump pump seized from inactivity (guessing) so the garage has a bit of water in it from the Tropical Storm. Replaced it with my old pump and at least there's something going right now. Had a kitchen light switch fail over the weekend and some time overnight the gfci outlet came apart (roofers left an extension cord plugged in on the ground, and now underwater, probably the cause).

It. Never. Ends.
Workers need to be careful. They really can mess up someone's house by their negligence / carelessness.

Meanwhile, fence guys are installing white PVC fence now.

Courtesy Dodge is working on my car.
Engine light issue:

·
Administrator
39,098 Posts
Old pump did its thing and moved the water out of the garage. Wiring the new outlet was a pita as the old one had integrated pigtails of stranded wire and 4 wire nuts. Ideally I would put a bigger box in there for the added wire, but it fit, and now I know why the remodelers 15 years ago used a drywall screw to hold the outlet in place, they stripped the screw hole out of the plastic.

232661 - 232680 of 232726 Posts