Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Boris "I want to blow up the UK" Johnson

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
231501 - 231520 of 231570 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
What about the CRT's that have "GAME OVER" (or other things) burned into the screen?
to the best of my knowledge, there is no repair for that. We see it often with my work, but we dont bother trying to fix it. I think that would require a CRT replacement.

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
What about the CRT's that have "GAME OVER" (or other things) burned into the screen?
The burn can't be removed but if you put it under smoked plexi, it usually hides it. If it's really bad, it's possible to find a compatible tube from a tv and swap the electronics over to it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Hawaii was fun. Embarked and debarked in San Francisco. No airports to futz with. 15 days. 4 at sea each way. Came back new but sick (as usual but not as bad as the UK flight in June).

Wanderlust satiated for now but these old boot-heals will soon be a wanderin' with another road trip.
This time to see my brothers and visit the LA Museum of Art, La Brea Tar Pits and Museum as well as The Petersen Automotive Museum.
All conveniently clustered on The Miracle Mile on between Fairfax and La Brea.
Wilshire

·
Super Moderator
28,004 Posts
Finished repairing the monitor in my outrun machine today!

Some progress pics for anyone interested in what goes into this..

Starting point: Dim image just barely visible enough to play with the lights off (the display is actually brighter in this photo than you'd see with your eyes)
View attachment 144515

Cleaned the monitor chassis, and then replaced almost 40 capacitors:
View attachment 144516

The fresh capacitors killed off one of the IC chips on the board, colors were slightly brighter but still dim and the picture could only cover about 65% of the screen:
View attachment 144517

To illustrate how dim it still was, this is how this condition looked with the lights on:
View attachment 144518

Replaced the bad IC and got back to full screen, but everything was out of whack from trying to adjust it with bad components previously:
View attachment 144519

After about 30-40 minutes of making adjustments! (moire effect is produced by the camera)
Lights on:
View attachment 144521
Lights off:
View attachment 144520

Feels good to rescue a 33 year old piece of tech :)
Very cool, Eric!
No one needs to go to a Barcade when they can just go to your house.
Or open up your own old school Barcade!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,004 Posts
Hawaii was fun. Embarked and debarked in San Francisco. No airports to futz with. 15 days. 4 at sea each way. Came back new but sick (as usual but not as bad as the UK flight in June).

Wanderlust satiated for now but these old boot-heals will soon be a wanderin' with another road trip.
This time to see my brothers and visit the LA Museum of Art, La Brea Tar Pits and Museum as well as The Petersen Automotive Museum.
All conveniently clustered on The Miracle Mile on between Fairfax and La Brea. View attachment 144522 Wilshire
Great photo and we love reading about your travels!

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
4-8" of snow was forecast for us today. NWS warnings and everything.

we got a coating on the grass that lasted for about 35 minutes before it stopped and melted. the news was DESPERATE to justify their forecast all day so they kept saying a second wave was coming.. downgraded to 3" , then downgraded to 1". we got some flurries later in the evening. that's it.

they were so desperate they sent a guy to north jersey to cover that they got 3" of snow 😂 😂

·
Super Moderator
28,004 Posts
Going to try out some mountain bike trails with my sister and a good friend of mine this Sunday around 19 miles east of my house.
Forecast is high of 78°. I was hoping for a high of 65-70.
Just ordered a bike helmet, gloves and a bike rack for the 200.

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
well damn, just got furloughed from my day job for at least 4 weeks.

not sure that i will hold out to be brought back after the holidays.

luckily i have my side business to keep me floating. if i knew i could ramp up my income from that by working on it full time i would happily just do that. but i suppose it can't hurt to float my resume out there as well. gonna be an interesting few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
28,004 Posts
well damn, just got furloughed from my day job for at least 4 weeks.

not sure that i will hold out to be brought back after the holidays.

luckily i have my side business to keep me floating. if i knew i could ramp up my income from that by working on it full time i would happily just do that. but i suppose it can't hurt to float my resume out there as well. gonna be an interesting few weeks.
That's crazy. I take it that's all unpaid?
What other jobs will you be looking for?

A friend of mine is big into playing his own music and wants to get a Mac. He bought an HP Omen gaming laptop brand new from a mutual friend of ours.
He is on his way home and will let me know the exact model and specs so I can research it. If the reviews and price are good, I may buy it from him.
I am not into gaming much right now, BUT I do like to have it as an option. With Steam, there are still so many options.

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
That's crazy. I take it that's all unpaid?
What other jobs will you be looking for?

A friend of mine is big into playing his own music and wants to get a Mac. He bought an HP Omen gaming laptop brand new from a mutual friend of ours.
He is on his way home and will let me know the exact model and specs so I can research it. If the reviews and price are good, I may buy it from him.
I am not into gaming much right now, BUT I do like to have it as an option. With Steam, there are still so many options.

Yes, unpaid unfortunately. I'm going to apply for other IT jobs. There's a lot of businesses around here so I'm not very worried about finding a job. And chances are I'll make more when I find something. Search starts tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
don't want to get my hopes up but already found a listing for a relevant position at a place 20 min from me.

got my resume and cover letter together but don't want to submit them at midnight, so i'll do it when i wake up.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
I really wish more companies actually at least acted like they cared for their employees. What a horrible time of year to be furloughed! I'm a contractor with the DOD, not civil service or active military. Thankfully, i don't have to worry about furloughs like the civil service guys do... I just have to interview and worry about having a job every time the contract renews....

231501 - 231520 of 231570 Posts