• Boris "I want to blow up the UK" Johnson

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
231481 - 231500 of 231570 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
The Volkswagen one made me laugh...

It is absolutely dead in the lab today. so far i am the only one here on my side (lab is split into 3 sections) and there is only one other person who is supposed to be here later. Everyone else scheduled off or called in. In a way its nice, but then kinda boring. I have my music playing (louder than i usually can) and i'm getting work done. No distractions.. other than this forum and my phone... haha

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
Feeling accomplished tonight. We have a fan that stopped working the other day. I disassembled it tonight. Tore down, cleaned, lubed, and rebuilt the motor. Working great again

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
Finished repairing the monitor in my outrun machine today!

Some progress pics for anyone interested in what goes into this..

Starting point: Dim image just barely visible enough to play with the lights off (the display is actually brighter in this photo than you'd see with your eyes)

Cleaned the monitor chassis, and then replaced almost 40 capacitors:

The fresh capacitors killed off one of the IC chips on the board, colors were slightly brighter but still dim and the picture could only cover about 65% of the screen:

To illustrate how dim it still was, this is how this condition looked with the lights on:

Replaced the bad IC and got back to full screen, but everything was out of whack from trying to adjust it with bad components previously:

After about 30-40 minutes of making adjustments! (moire effect is produced by the camera)
Lights on:

Lights off:

Feels good to rescue a 33 year old piece of tech :)

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
You are a TV repair man! :D
That's great Eric. Way to bring a classic back to life!
Would it have been possible to just replace the screen with a new flat screen? Or not that simple?

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Would it have been possible to just replace the screen with a new flat screen? Or not that simple?
to answer your question, yes it can be done.... but it isnt always simple. Devices of old that used CRT displays required a very high voltage power supply to start up and power the CRT. LCD or LED screens do not require this. On top of that, the community of people working to keep those old arcade gaming systems alive prefer the authentic CRT displays IF they can keep them alive. Converting to LCD/LED is looked at as a last resort.

·
Super Moderator
34,090 Posts
Absolutely possible, but not preferable and looked down on in the hobby

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

231481 - 231500 of 231570 Posts