Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GRM: A big thanks to everyone at GRM for their well written story on the fit of the TCE/Wilwoods onto the SRT4 car. Looking back now I only wish we'd have taken a bit more time to plate the rotors...oh well, you'd have burned off the zinc anyhow in short order.

A couple of folks asked why we did not achieve a big change in braking distance?? For those in the know, we understand that the final torque is at the tire and not the rotor. This has been covered at length before here and in GRM. The plus side is that it does show that the stock brakes are quite good. Yes, some of you have been yelling that all along and here's your proof. The down side is of course that you won't work the stock parts for as long a time period as the larger parts before fade and heat saturation set in. Why the loss of one foot of average distance?? I think it's safe to say that the oringinal test on stock brakes was a day earlier and on 'sticker' tires. This single heat cycle will likely be the sole reason. Keep that in mind you open track guys! Can the distance be shortened more?? Perhaps. The fit of some higher Cf pads may bite down on the rotor a bit better but the tire may not be able to exploit this. What about the 'add more rear brake' camp?? Sure this can help as well, but you'll seldom see the same gains on a FWD car given the dynamics of the vehicle. A nose heavy, light butt car just can't do much with more rear brake. 'Couse you could try putting 200# in the trunk and see....

Web page changes! I have finally completed some of the web page changes I'd been wanting to do. The SRT4 is clearly defined now by its plus size applications from the facrory Wilwood kits to the larger than GRM 1.10" wide rotor kits...all listed, I hope, clearly for your review.

TCE is still the only BBK builder to offer you a wide variety of options on how and what fit your car. Also one of few to offer full bodied calipers and the only regular builder to offer full size pads of .800" for long life and thermal protection.

Yet.....we got a call wanting to know of we can offer a light weight kit for drag racing?? Seems there is a push for light parts now due in part to the potential loss of power from the common BBK. The answer is yes we certainly can do this. I'd consider this project for someone however with more of a dedicated drag car than a street machine as well. I'm confident we can lower rotor weight from the current 14.5 RR > 11.5 SS > 9.0 std WW >8.75 drilled WW rotor. I feel we can do this down to as little as 5.5lbs each on a 11.75" rotor. That's some serious weight savings. And we'd do this with a lighter then FSL caliper as well further reducing the unsprung weight.

So to do it or not?? Honestly I'd say no. But if you have a dedicated drag car and want too I'm sure it can be done. Why not do it?? Further weight reductions on the brakes are just not the thing to do if you ever expect this system to live on the street. ANY amount of rotor mass losss is headed in the wrong direction for any performance gain other than rotating mass. Loss of mass will elevate rotor temps and create faster pad fade. To keep rotor toque up to spec the rotor need to be the same or larger than stock. If it's smaller you've lost torque which can only be replaced from piston area or pad. To run as light a drilled solid disc of this type is stictly a race only deal. This is generating a destabalization of the total system in my opinion. Just as TCE adds rotor mass to both kits via increases in diameter, width or both, this is a loss of total mass. If you are serious about the compromises of such a kit please email me and we can discuss it further.

Hoses- Braides SS lines- I've opted out of this aside from those supplied for the complete kits. After reviewing both cost, complexity and fit of adapteing the TCE hoses to the stock caliper I feel it's just not a wise thing to do. I'll continue to offer them optional for the rears but not for the fronts. I have no doubt that others will pick up the slack here and you'll soon see $150 four line kits from a number of suppliers. I simply don't want to be in the hose business.

Thanks for you time.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
i saved exactly 9.5 lbs per side by going with the 13.1" brake kit as opposed to stock weight.

i weighed the caliper/rotor/pads on an accurate scale and it came out to 19lbs total weight savings in the front.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are good numbers. However in fairness to the 'make it lighter crowd' the weight you have not is at a higer radius. This effects the MOI- moment of inertia. The opposite here is that of a very small clutch for example. There is no perfect answer to this debate really, it's all about what you want and or intend to do with the vehicle.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having driven the vehicles personally I'll tell you that the feel is changed slightly. As you might expect the pedal is firmer and a tad higher. This due to the reduction in piston area. And as any fixed mulit piston caliper will offer you; a smoother engagement and quicker release action vs any floater caliper. Some can be credited to the hoses but most is a bit deeper than that in reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts