Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've designated $1,400 of my tax refund to go to car upgrades. Now this may frustrate some of you since some people don't get any money back at all.....

My original thought was that it was a sign from God since $1,400 is just enough to buy S2 w/toys, but then I started thinking..... is it worth it???

I hear alot of people on here say how more power can be achieved for less $$$, and I've also heard about some issues with the S2.

But I need to be realistic with what I want to do with my car...... my overall goal is ~300whp. Which I intended to do with S2, 3" exhaust, Big intercooler, intake and a few other little things. But I'm not even sure if thats reasonable.

I originally choose the S2 w/toys for engine and turbo longetivity reasons, because my car is one I would like to have for atleast 100k miles. I also want to do power upgrades and add to it as I go along.... i.e. bigger intercooler, exhaust etc.

So let me phrase it this way.... If my car was your car and I gave you $1400 to put into it, what would you do????

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Stage 2 with toys.

When you want to have a lot of fun, just run a tank of 100 octane through it and hit HOM. Or, spend another 180 bucks and get a w/i kit and run HOM on pump gas.

TJ

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
i would buy stage 1 , agp w/g, full ehxaust, new motor mounts and invest in slicks, then take it to the track then come back and order a big fmic

·
Registered
268 Posts
iistevo84ii said:
So I've designated $1,400 of my tax refund to go to car upgrades. Now this may frustrate some of you since some people don't get any money back at all.....

My original thought was that it was a sign from God since $1,400 is just enough to buy S2 w/toys, but then I started thinking..... is it worth it???

I hear alot of people on here say how more power can be achieved for less $$$, and I've also heard about some issues with the S2.

But I need to be realistic with what I want to do with my car...... my overall goal is ~300whp. Which I intended to do with S2, 3" exhaust, Big intercooler, intake and a few other little things. But I'm not even sure if thats reasonable.

I originally choose the S2 w/toys for engine and turbo longetivity reasons, because my car is one I would like to have for atleast 100k miles. I also want to do power upgrades and add to it as I go along.... i.e. bigger intercooler, exhaust etc.

So let me phrase it this way.... If my car was your car and I gave you $1400 to put into it, what would you do????

Stage 2 w/o toys and then get phrozen's toy box. Anything left over use for Mopar catback.

·
Registered
172 Posts
personally I would say to buy upgrades that will help you get to the 300 h.p. buy supporting fuel mods and stuff like that. Im sure theres a few people that can tell you how to get to 300 hp with 1400 dollars though. my opinion bigger injectors, the fuel regulator spring upgrade being sold in a post near you, little bigger ic and up the boost. theres a sticky for 300 h.p on stock turbo up top, might want to look over that. talk with ryan at dark syde performance. (supporting vendor) he can tell you that getting a stage 2 if you plan on doing more mods later can be a bad idea, he installed a 3040r turbo on a stage 2 ecu (with supporting mods) and it wouldnt run worth shit, he went back to stage 0.

·
Registered
443 Posts
nathanstl said:
Stage 2 w/o toys and then get phrozen's toy box. Anything left over use for Mopar catback.
You need the stage 2 WITH TOYS PCM to use phrozen's toy box.

To answer the original question, while stage 2 is nice, the best part is HOM and that requires either 100 octane or an octane booster additive in each tank (this works for many). THe general consensus is that stage twop, without HOM, while safe and good for everyday driving, is not really a big performance upgrade.

My route is stage 1 pcm, stage 2 wga, and an SEE exhaust. All this can be had for under 1000 and it would be comparable, if not faster that, stage 2 non HOM.

HOM seems like an awesome thing, but paying for 100 octane gas or putting octane boost in your car is not cheap (and octane booster can be harmful if used too much). Water injection is a different story, HOM all day for cheap and safe.

Decisions decisions. I personally like Stage 2, but I'm at the point where I dont want to dump lots of money into my car, so I'll keep it simple and cheap. Houses, IRAs, bills, etc are more important. Make sure you take some of that refund an be smart with it. Start saving for your future and don't dump all your cash into a car.

By the way, how many exemptions do you claim on your w-4? I hope not 0. Everyone should file at least with 2, that way you get more in your paycheck and the government doesn't hold your cash interest-free for a year! That 1400 you got back could have been doing a lot for you in each paycheck. But then again, some like that beg check in the end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I claim 0, but I like the fat check at the end. :clap:

I already have a 2.5in custom exhaust so that Im not too worried about.

Interesting ideas guys, thatnk for the input.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i got 3500 back for my wife son and me and it all freeking went to bills. but get this. i sold a stock exhaust, msd coil, guage pod w/oil & volts guage, stock shifter, and a mpx 3 inch o2 unused. made like 500$ and after all that cash and taxes i got the dang "wife mod" and got raped and only got s1. i am savin for a d/p now but chances look worse and worse. be greatfull and get what you want. i wanted s2 but ended up with s1. dang

1 - 11 of 11 Posts