Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm a n00b when it comes to dragging at the track. I'm taking mine out Sunday hopefully for a few runs. I'd like to get a little feedback from people who have done it before. Some do's and don'ts. When you guys shift, are you just going right to redline before you shift to the next gear, or is there a sweet spot somewhere before that. I'm aware of the torque steer, and I'll be ready for that. Is there anything else I should know before I go?? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Are you still running that bleeder? If you are, that car is going to be damn near impossible to launch. I would say go back to stock set-up for your first time. Just my .02

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
i'll help you out in person....i'll ride with you for a pass or two and i feel comfident enough you'll do well. Justin and i went to Desoto again last night and his second time out ever he cut some 2.1x 60 foots most of the night on stock tires.

·
Registered
569 Posts
track

ok last week was my first time ever at the track and what i learned was on the tree it has the 2 staging lights i would stage first so i can be reved and ready when the car next to me staged :O) then u have 3 yellow lights then the green. when that third yellow light comes on GO! :twisted: lol ok and i was launching at 2500 but but 60' sucked so the last run a launched at 3k and it was much better. i was nervous but its fun and i'll be going again sunday to hit 14.0 :wink: i hope. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Whatever you do make sure someone has a video camera and posts them in the forum.

And add some stickers or Type R badges for higher HP.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man, thanks for the sticker suggestion. I forgot about that. The Type R sticker is on backorder, but I could probably use band aids and it would give me just as much horsepower. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Re: track

pinkey said:
ok last week was my first time ever at the track and what i learned was on the tree it has the 2 staging lights i would stage first so i can be reved and ready when the car next to me staged :O) then u have 3 yellow lights then the green. when that third yellow light comes on GO! :twisted: lol ok and i was launching at 2500 but but 60' sucked so the last run a launched at 3k and it was much better. i was nervous but its fun and i'll be going again sunday to hit 14.0 :wink: i hope. Good Luck!!!
good gawd what are you doing!!!! :shock: these cars only need 2000 to get off the line all you are doing is a. burning up your clutch for no reson and b you are putting way too much stress on the mounts that is not needed. I mean at 2000 if you leave at the 3rd yellow you should cut 2.3-2.4 60 foots but the ET and trap should be near 14.0 at 100.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Someone above mentioned the "Stage" and "Pre-Stage" lights. If you don't wanna make enemies at the track learn to stage correctly.

Pull forward so that the first set of yellow lights light up(Pre-Staged)
wait for you opponent to do the same
then pull forward and light the second set of lights (Staged)

Once both cars are staged the tree will start and you are off.

Alot of people get real touchy if you don't Courtesy Stage. It gives both people an equal time to get ready once they are staged and a lot of people there are practicing for upcoming events and want to be as precise as possible.

Another tip....when you stage you can stage "deep" or "shallow". A Deep stage will give you an better advantage over your opponent while a Shallow stage will give you lower ETs.

Basically you either pull forward just enough to trip the Stage lights (Shallow) or pull far forward so you are almost past the Stage Lights (Deep).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seriously, here is a link to some more tips.

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7146&highlight=grip+steering+wheel+elbow#7146

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Billy said:
Someone above mentioned the "Stage" and "Pre-Stage" lights. If you don't wanna make enemies at the track learn to stage correctly.

Pull forward so that the first set of yellow lights light up(Pre-Staged)
wait for you opponent to do the same
then pull forward and light the second set of lights (Staged)

Once both cars are staged the tree will start and you are off.

Alot of people get real touchy if you don't Courtesy Stage. It gives both people an equal time to get ready once they are staged and a lot of people there are practicing for upcoming events and want to be as precise as possible.

Another tip....when you stage you can stage "deep" or "shallow". A Deep stage will give you an better advantage over your opponent while a Shallow stage will give you lower ETs.

Basically you either pull forward just enough to trip the Stage lights (Shallow) or pull far forward so you are almost past the Stage Lights (Deep).
Thanks i usually tried to Courtesy stage but the dam ricers just roll right on up for thei shallow stage. I'll see how the newbies do :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah I know, it is a pain in the ass.

Feel free to ask for some tips on Sunday. I'll be around.

·
Registered
569 Posts
rev

i don't know y but launching at 25k was cool didn't get much burn but it felt like it was just not enough push to get me a good 60' thats y i tried it at 3k and it worked real good. it was my first time so i'm just getting used to it but i will try at 2k there was a guy with a alot of upgrades on an RT and he was running 14.8 he said he launch at 25k also. all i can say is one u stage and u are ready leave at the last yellow light lol thats wen i got good reaction times. only my .02

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Billy said:
Yeah I know, it is a pain in the ass.

Feel free to ask for some tips on Sunday. I'll be around.
That does it!!!
I'm coming out too!!!
Grunge contact me and we will ride down.
Me with all 176WHP! + a surprise :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't worry about your clutch...it is a wear item and you are racing. If you guys really wanna see clutch abuse watch me launch and smell the damn car when I am done :lol:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Cali i'll be there too but no Surprise...dammit

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
:oops: :oops:

I guess I may not be able to make it....Ill know for sure sometime tomorrow evening :oops:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Drag Racing Tips for Beginners

I posted a response to a similar question in the drag racing forum of ClubSi about a year ago (username Sivicious), and it's still there as a sticky. See:

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB37&Number=661378&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Ignore the part about launching at 5500-6000 rpm, which is specific to the 99/00 Si. Also, not sure yet about shift points for the SRT-4. Other than that, most of the general info should apply.

Of course, I'll have to relearn the launch like the rest of you, since the SRT-4 has all the torque down low.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts