Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an idea.

Looks like it will bolt right on. They come in the same colors as the SRT-4 as well. For those of you who aren't crazy about the high-profile spoiler on the SRT-4.

What do you think?

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
mrmixitup said:
Just an idea.

Looks like it will bolt right on. They come in the same colors as the SRT-4 as well. For those of you who aren't crazy about the high-profile spoiler on the SRT-4.

What do you think?
Yea but remember, this wing is here for a purpose and not a design add on with no functionality.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yea but remember, this wing is here for a purpose and not a design add on with no functionality.
You're not going to miss it, there's a negligable gain to be had but I'd say it's more than looks than for anything.

-faast

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Slow5OH said:
You're not going to miss it, there's a negligable gain to be had but I'd say it's more than looks than for anything.

-faast
What I was referring too, according to the PVO guys, this wing is used for downforce at higher speed and wind tunneled tested.

85MPH or higher...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
hemidakota said:
Slow5OH said:

-faast
What I was referring too, according to the PVO guys, this wing is used for downforce at higher speed and wind tunneled tested.

85MPH or higher...
Ask AWD OWNZ YOU, he's almost an aeronautic engineer he could tell you better than me. I just don't think it's going to make a whole hell of a lot of a difference. At least not to the point where it will compromise your safety.

-faast

·
Registered
864 Posts
hemidakota said:

85MPH or higher...
Where did you see this, not doubting you just wondering if they had more info. I don't think you would miss it. One, it doesn't seem like all that of a spectacular design to me. Two, SXT wing would still add some downforce. I'd leave it on, because I'm sure it has benefits over a smaller wing esp. if you need to do emergency manuevers at high speeds but I don't think Joe Neon Owner will notice much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
but i think joe srt-4 owner might. :p

E

·
0 Posts
The wing on the MKIV Supra puts down 40 pounds of "downforce" at speeds > 90 MPH -- Most people will never notice a difference.... (dont quote me on the downforce, but its something like that, could be 80 pounds)

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
AWD OWNZ U said:
hemidakota said:

85MPH or higher...
Where did you see this, not doubting you just wondering if they had more info. I don't think you would miss it. One, it doesn't seem like all that of a spectacular design to me. Two, SXT wing would still add some downforce. I'd leave it on, because I'm sure it has benefits over a smaller wing esp. if you need to do emergency manuevers at high speeds but I don't think Joe Neon Owner will notice much of a difference.
I don't like the ricer look wing either but after talking to a friend who back in January was at a Southern Cal (LA District Meeting) with PVO and some Chrysler rep ask about the turbo, wing, and other items of interest since he still owns a Colt car, he asked about many aspects about the car design, performance, and latter enhancement PVO or Dodge was working on. Then they took the cars to the track for thrashing along with the SRT-8 Magnum Wagon and couple other type cars.

I asked him if Dodge had a smaller simular wing that is not sore point (we are both the same age group 40 plus). He looked over to the SXT model said, this is for look. This wing on the SRT-4 as told by the PVO rep was designed at XXMPH for downforce. I still don't recall what was the lbs at 85MPH.

I would like to know if we could measure it some how but it goes back to a wind tunnel testing facility.

It is the same with the SRT-10-another butt ugly wing but it is functional according to Creavor.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be willing to give up the functionality for a more low-profile look.

The functionality doesn't really impress me. It's really the only thing I'd like to change on the body. I also wouldn't mind making my car look more like an SXT. (LOL, sleeper look)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
If you guys would want to change wings, that's cool, but then don't plan to be doing high speed racing with your car like at the your dragstrip. Those wings bolted in? It might be a cool for a "quick-change wing" where you can quickly replace one wing with the other. That'd be a cool mod for the street/strip dwellers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only testing will show, but most cars go faster without the rear wing and have almost no discernable difference in downforce. IMO, the stock wing is a little over-done.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
of course they will go faster, no downforce. somebody take the wing off and do a couple of runs at the strip. see if you can get a 105 trap. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
of course they will go faster, no downforce. somebody take the wing off and do a couple of runs at the strip. see if you can get a 105 trap. :lol:[/quote

It's not just the change in downforce. Moving the wing lower reduces the wind resistance in all directions.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
FLSpecV said:
lifeisdeath said:
of course they will go faster, no downforce. somebody take the wing off and do a couple of runs at the strip. see if you can get a 105 trap. :lol:[/quote

It's not just the change in downforce. Moving the wing lower reduces the wind resistance in all directions.
i was talking about getting rid of the wing altogether, not make it lower.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
the mkiv puts down 60lbs of down force at 90 miles per hr. I think its on www.mkiv.com

AWD, were arey ou taking aerospace engineering at? My friend she works for NASA.

Hector
ERAU class of 97

·
Registered
864 Posts
lifeisdeath said:
of course they will go faster, no downforce. somebody take the wing off and do a couple of runs at the strip. see if you can get a 105 trap. :lol:
Downforce doesn't slow you down, drag does. They are independent quantities.

Exhaust Depot said:
AWD, were arey ou taking aerospace engineering at? My friend she works for NASA.

Hector
ERAU class of 97
I'm a Junior at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. What does your friend do at NASA? ERAU?

JC

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
13 Participants
SpitterGuy
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing