Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I bought a pair of rear srt-4 oem strut to replace the defect one (Rear Passenger). First time I bring my car to the garage, they install it but after about 20 min, I hear a little noise again, not loud has my defect strut, but I hear it sometime. I bring my car again and they change the Upper mount. When I take it for another drive and i can still hear the noise again.

The strut is new and the upper mount too... what can do that? anyone?

thanks

·
Administrator
38,857 Posts
do you have an sxt or an srt? If you have an sxt and used an srt strut then some things may not be right.

What kind of noise is it? possible wheel bearing or brakes dragging?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got an SXT... what can not be right?

I hear a little noise when I drive in bump or hole. only some hole... not all the time.

You know the sound of an defect strut? then is sound like that but not very loud. just a little sound (little bit louder then when you whisper).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can it be the Tension Strut, the jounce bumper or the knuckle? (I got the repair book for neon 2000-2005)

·
Administrator
38,857 Posts
improper install and new struts are broken or bolts not tight. the bump stop (jounce bumper) and the knuckle can't cause a noise on bumps and the tension strut shouldn't be causing it either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks... I'll ask if they install the left to the left and right to the right... and not the opposite. because the right(passenger) rear strut have more resistance (cost me more) than the left rear.

·
Administrator
38,857 Posts
you can not switch the struts left to right if you want to have a swaybar installed. the ears welded to the strut body prevent that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bring my car to garage today and they tell me mabe the strut is defective or it's because I got the SXT spring on SRT strut and it lift the back. so when the strut go down, it do the noise.

·
Administrator
38,857 Posts
you really should have used the SXT strut in the first place. The spring rates are not different enough between the SRT and the SXT for that to be a problem. A bad install (letting the strut shaft spin while installing the upper mount) will cause the strut to be damaged and fail very quickly. All of that needs to be inspected and replaced FOR FREE since the parts are so new.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you really should have used the SXT strut in the first place. The spring rates are not different enough between the SRT and the SXT for that to be a problem. A bad install (letting the strut shaft spin while installing the upper mount) will cause the strut to be damaged and fail very quickly. All of that needs to be inspected and replaced FOR FREE since the parts are so new.
I want to put some 205 45 17 or 205 50 17 tire on my 17 inch rims. So I bought some oem SRT strut and bring it to a garage to install it (Canadian tire). if I had brought for installation to the dealer, it would have cost me $ 60 per hour.

How many difference there have between SRT and oem Spring approximatly?

So you really think they install it wrong?

·
Administrator
38,857 Posts
I can't really help you out any more since I can't see the parts for myself. Clunking in the rear can be caused by blown struts or the upper mounts. I really doubt the longer spring is causing a problem with the strut extending fully when you hit a bump (well, when you come down from the bump).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Canadian Tire garage didnt find anyting wrong but the mechanician heard the noise. I'll bring it to the Dealer wednesday. I'll tell you what was the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The dealer call me and it was the lateral arms that causing the noise on the rear passenger side...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
4 Participants
Jillustre
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing