Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just re-installed my pump (took it out for winter in Maine) I wanted to test the pump to make sure its working, gave it some power direct to the pump from the battery, pumps properly grounded, and nothing happend. Is it possible for the pump to freeze up after sitting for a while? This was a perfectly good working pump when i took it out last fall. Any tips on how to get this sucker spining again? its not even a year old yet..

Any leads would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(follow up)

Took the pump out, dissasembled.. the bearing on the output shaft was frozen solid, water somehow seep'd through the bearing into the motor housing, solvent bathed the metal parts (minus the motor and armature) Using wynns number 5 spray lub, worked the bearing till it freed up. let it soak in some 10w30.. now its spins like a champ, all is well but i don't see this pump lasting too much longer.. My question is, is water supposed to be able to pass the bearing into the motor housing??

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its no problem, its working like a champ right now, and there really easy to dismantle and rebuild.. I'm not worried too much about the pump failing.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
seltech said:
(follow up)

Took the pump out, dissasembled.. the bearing on the output shaft was frozen solid, water somehow seep'd through the bearing into the motor housing, solvent bathed the metal parts (minus the motor and armature) Using wynns number 5 spray lub, worked the bearing till it freed up. let it soak in some 10w30.. now its spins like a champ, all is well but i don't see this pump lasting too much longer.. My question is, is water supposed to be able to pass the bearing into the motor housing??
I was trying to figure out where I am going to mount this pump in the car this evening... Going through the manual for the Shurflo pump, it specifically states that if you are going to mount the pump in the vertical position, mount it UPSIDE DOWN to prevent liquid from entering the pump in the event of a leak.

How did you have the pump mounted?

TJ

·
Registered
609 Posts
We have mounted the pump in every postition possible. On My GTP is stands strait up with no issues. On the SRT-4 we mount them in the drivers side fenderwell. Check or forums for install pics.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TJ1376 said:
seltech said:
(follow up)

I was trying to figure out where I am going to mount this pump in the car this evening... Going through the manual for the Shurflo pump, it specifically states that if you are going to mount the pump in the vertical position, mount it UPSIDE DOWN to prevent liquid from entering the pump in the event of a leak.

How did you have the pump mounted?

TJ
my pump is mounted upside down, but it was removed for the winter, in which there was residule fluid left in the pump. i'm guessing during storage this fluid seeped into the bearing and motor housing. After the breakdown and rebuild i've had zero issues with this pump.. tough pumps indeed. they can take hell and a little bit of TLC can bring them back for sure.. it even sounds find :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts