Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just keep going Bob! I'm lucky to get 3 SRT's at an event right now. I think that as the used SRT market gets more saturated and the price comes down, we will start seeing more people coming to the track with them. And, there just haven't been that many SRT4's manufactured. Also, many people are not willing to bring their one or two year old car to the track, but they will be during the 3rd or 4th years.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Or they decide there Warrenty is way not covering them anymore, caused by many different reasons. Cause no one wants to lose there warenty to some bean counter walking around at the drags or any racing event. But that is just my two cents.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Summit point would be great, but the drive is a bit long for us left coasters. I have done a track day with SCCA at Thunderhill 11/21. last time out in April, I was able to pass an EVO - was pretty surprising to me as straights we were equal, but I had better speed off of the corners. This time I have RS4 pads and Hotchis bars. Actually, it was Thunderhill and by '98 ACR Neon which made me lose my interest in drag racing and sell my 11 sec street car - a '69 Valiant. Road racing for 100 miles for $200 vs. drag racing for 3-5 1/4 mile passes for $40, the road racing is by far the best fun/$!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the real reason you will not see more cars is that out of the box the
car is no fun at all on the track. After many mods ie coilovers,bars,wheels,tires
the cars have proven to be fun. Nothing is more frustrating than driving an
unbalanced nose heavy fwd on the track.

ummm 13 hours of VIR should be fun, lets hope weather stays in the 40's

Kolin Aspegren

·
Registered
99 Posts
ummmmm, that's 5 m's, what i should have said was for myself who has only been
racing w2w since 1989 the car was an exercise in frustration. i'm sure people
might find the car enjoyable i however did not. then again walking around VIR is
lots of fun, truly one of the finest anywhere. i should have been more clear, my fault

kolin

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Kolin, do you have any idea where I can get a race harness bar? I'm trying to get my car setup as I'm running it in the 05 One Lap under Dale's LER.

Also, could you pm me an email address I can contact you at, for info on driving schools within a reasonable driving distance?

Thanks Dunnie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perhaps you can take a look at my car and see what i had made when i ran
the Silver State Classic out in Nevada last year. FYI no harness bars exist and
my alternative is pretty sweet and fits the letter of the rules to a T.

I will pm you with email and cell number, maybe early next week we can hook-up
by wed afternoon off to VIR for this short little race on sat.

Kolin

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Kolin Aspegren said:
Perhaps you can take a look at my car and see what i had made when i ran
the Silver State Classic out in Nevada last year. FYI no harness bars exist and
my alternative is pretty sweet and fits the letter of the rules to a T.

I will pm you with email and cell number, maybe early next week we can hook-up
by wed afternoon off to VIR for this short little race on sat.

Kolin
Excellent Kolin, Thanks!

Dale should be back Monday from NY (his father passed away) and I think he would like to tag along.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kolin,

What do you race then? Having never raced before, I was pretty happy with this car for $20k. Of course, I have since added coilovers and swaybars. Next weekend, light wheels and r compounds. I have thought I might get a honda to keep the racing budget down. smaller car, smaller wheels, cheaper rubber etc.

Bob

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Kolin Aspegren said:
Tell that Bald kid i'm sorry about that, nobody ever wants to face that reality
of life.

My thoughts and prayers to everyone in the family

kolin
Just spoke with him, he said thank you very much!

And we'll get together soon.

Dunnie

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I would love to try some road racing, But I think I need to take some driving classes, etc first :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude,

You really need to go to www.nasaproracing.com. Then, join me at Summit Point Next weekend! That is what I am doing, taking driving classes. I have an instructor in the car with me and I sit in classrooms being instructed. It will be a while yet before I can roadrace--I need to get a competition license first.

Bob

·
Registered
624 Posts
planetb said:
I would love to try some road racing, But I think I need to take some driving classes, etc first :)
Bob's right. That's what the NASA HPDE system is all about. You get personal in-car and classroom instruction by an experienced instructor(s) at no extra charge. You can go out with a M-95 helmet (or later) and your street car, with no experience at all, and have a safe, very fun, road track weekend. As you get more experienced, the instruction progresses to more advanced driving techniques. In my opinion, I wouldn't waste $3000+ on a three day racing class as a newbie. If someone wants to do one of those classes, they would best be served by getting some track experience first. Then, they can really take advantage of what the high priced courses have to offer, namely advanced driving and racing techniques, often in a car that most of us couldn't afford to race for a season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.