Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i need a subwoofer box that will fit in our car that is ported and will fit 4, or 3 12''s, anyone seen one, possibly could build one for me? thanks

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
ponchonutty said:
Yep, I can build you an awesome glass box, just swing by my shop.
lol thats a long way to drive for a sub box poncho he lives in florida and your in ohio :rofl::rofl:
im sure if you found a tweeter or sound advice up by you they could do it no problem or even better is maybe a small car audio shop that knows there stuff

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good luck getting enough airspace for 3-4 12s ported in an SRT-4 trunk. For a show install it's easy enough because actual quality of sound doesn't matter, but if you plan on listening to it, that's a whole different story. Stick with 1-2 subs and I think you'll be happier with the results.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, im currently running two mtx 4500's in the thunder tc box running from an mtx600d amp right now, i was just wondering if one more sub would be two much, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
wannasupra said:
infinite baffle enclosure?
Not enough baffle space for all the subs without a lot of really creative custom work. I've thought at length about how to get 4 12s in a Neon with the right amount of airspace. The only way I could come up with to even come close was an L shaped fiberglass construct walling off the front of the trunk and then mounting one pair facing forward on the vertical part of the wall and the second pair facing down on the more horizontal part of the wall. It would look really cool but would be really a pain in the butt to do. You'd have to figure a way to seal it to the front portion of the trunk and the rear deck. You'd have to account for the trunk hinges. You'd have to seal the pressure vents in the rear corners of the trunk and seal up some of the passages through the bodywork in the back. It could be done. Doubt it would be worth the trouble except maybe for a show car. Of course you wouldn't be able to crank the subs with the trunk open because it would be the enclosure. Still wouldn't technically be infinite baffle either. The trunk is too small for that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It can be done. I've done it in smaller cars years ago. It all depends how much trunk & whether you want to see them of not. There are lots of subs that can do the job in small airspace.
remember the port does not need to be inside the box. You may have to build the box or several boxes inside the car to make it all fit. How much power you planning to run these with? Having 4 12"s & not enough power to run them is a waste of space unless your going for the look at me factor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The ports don't have to be in the box, but they still have to fit in the car. The box might be small but the port to tune it to a listenable freq gets exponentially longer as you increase port size (to decrease port noise) and decrease box size. I've built a few boxes where the ports displaced more than the chamber space of the box. It becomes impractical very quickly to try to go ported in a small space. The sub may only need 1-2 cf of air but the box ends up displacing over 3 cf to do it. That or the ports end up not fitting anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts