1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official release...

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/wrxsti/wrxsti.jsp

Key notes:

2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter

Bring it on! :D

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
damn 300/300? well, i USED TO like the evo better... guess theres a new big dawg in town. :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I may actually sell my SRT-4 (if I get one) for a STi WRX, BUT they are not in the same price range AT ALL. The STi WRX is rumored to be in the low 30's. I hate the new EVO's (and our local Mitsu dealerships are idiots).

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
it also has rotary traction control. you can turn the dial for 65% traction to the rear if you want. pretty nice.

and, my favorite part, step motor driven gauges. they cycle all the way through, and then go back to the start when you turn the car on. they first used it on my 2000 suzuki gsx-r 750 (R.I.P.) motorcycle. they have them on almost all bikes now. it was the coolest thing that i have ever seen (back then). :lol:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Samel_Camel said:
It's 50 percent more cost.....

Is it 50 percent more car? :lol:
It's 100 percent more car trust me. I'm not hating on the SRT but this STi is amazing. A car of this caliber should be selling for 60 grand, not 30. It's the best performance bargain out there right now in my opinion.

-5OH

·
Registered
449 Posts
Slow5OH said:
It's 100 percent more car trust me. I'm not hating on the SRT but this STi is amazing. A car of this caliber should be selling for 60 grand, not 30. It's the best performance bargain out there right now in my opinion.
-5OH
I agree, this car kicks a$$, and is in a completely different class (both performance and pricewise) than the SRT. With the bigger engine and better transmission (compared to the regular WRX) the SRT will be no match for the STi.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
stock for stock it wont be a match, but modded for modded, well we will have to see. :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A moded SRT against a stock STi might have a chance, if the SRT can get over the traction. We know SRT's will be capable of 300+ hp, it's getting over that AWD launch. The thing that SRT's have over WRX is that a stock rex puts about 185hp to the ground, while an srt puts 223 down. That helps a lot to regain the time that was lost in the launch, and why the test numbers are so close between the two cars. Course, proper AWD launchs abuse your drivetrain.

A stock STi should damn near suck the doors off an SRT, driver pending of course. It's a nice car, much better looking than the rex IMO. I don't know if i'd pay 35k, when a Vette's so close, but I like v-8's. Maybe this will force dodge to put out a 300hp awd like the new Avenger concept (minus some ground clearance, I hope). If super rally cars sell, they will be built.

·
Registered
118 Posts
STI will run about 35 and higher, i doubt you will be able to see them drivin regularly on the street.
The WRX loaded with about half the Options runs at 36, just imagine the STI

·
Registered
41 Posts
Croation said:
STI will run about 35 and higher, i doubt you will be able to see them drivin regularly on the street.
You must be in Canada.

A fully loaded WRX runs around $27,000 - the STi WRX should be around $32k - it doesn't have a radio (would be more like a stripped down WRX).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Croation said:
Don't know where you are getting those numbers but getting a WRX for 23g's is commonplace. STi's will prolly be around 32 and there's not any options for them that I know of. Mod for mod a SRT is going to have a hell of a time trying to compete with an STi, and even then I think the drag strip is the only place the SRT will be competitive. I'd say the SRT would be in direct competition with the WRX, not the STi.

SRT=WRX
STi=C5

-5OH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Budget buy

Well if I had $32K I'd go buy a GTO and load it up, but I don't have $32K. Besides, I can't wait until 04 to get a car and $20K is more into my budget. What happens when I buy an SRT-4 and dump the $12K I saved into it? Hmm...I thought so.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Re: Budget buy

J J
eme"]Well if I had $32K I'd go buy a GTO and load it up, but I don't have $32K. Besides, I can't wait until 04 to get a car and $20K is more into my budget. What happens when I buy an SRT-4 and dump the $12K I saved into it? Hmm...I thought so.[/quote]

If you dumped 12k into your Neon, it's gonna still have a hard time beating the STi. In terms of overall performance, no way. Ok obviously I spend a lot of time harping on the virtues of the WRX because it'll be my next car, but I am telling you right here and right now, you can dump 20k in your Neon and it'll still be hard to touch the STi.

So say you dumped that 12k in the Neon, will you have a

1. DCCD - for those that don't know this a driver controllable differential used to control the torque split to the differential.

2. AWD - a FWD with a LSD won't top an AWD handling wise.

3. STi suspension - obviously you can't put an STi suspension on a Neon, but would you have something comparable? Doubtful.

4. 300HP - I'm sure with the power packages the SRT has will hit 300HP easily but how much drivablity will be lost? I know for a fact that Dodge's Stage 3 is not supposed to be streetable, but I'm sure we'll still see them on the street.

5. 17" Brembos

6. Heavy duty 6 speed tranny....SRT tranny is no comparison.

7. Various gadgets that enhance performance (i.e. Intercooler Spray)

8. Waranty - do anything other than a dealer installed power package and you can kiss your waranty good-bye.

Basically the point I am trying to get as is that sure you can drop 12k into the Neon and it MAY be faster than the STi, but you're not going to have the whole package. So your heavily modded SRT has the HP but at what expense to daily driving, loss of AC, stripped interior? A SRT and the WRX for that matter are basically testosterone injected econoboxes, the STi is in a whole different league. For all intents and purposes it is a factory race car, and there are people who plan on buying an STi stripping the interior and taking it racing right out of the box. They're just from two different leagues, it's like putting a high school football team up against an NFL team :lol:

-5OH

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts

Slow5OH said:
1. DCCD - for those that don't know this a driver controllable differential used to control the torque split to the differential.

2. AWD - a FWD with a LSD won't top an AWD handling wise.

3. STi suspension - obviously you can't put an STi suspension on a Neon, but would you have something comparable? Doubtful.

4. 300HP - I'm sure with the power packages the SRT has will hit 300HP easily but how much drivablity will be lost? I know for a fact that Dodge's Stage 3 is not supposed to be streetable, but I'm sure we'll still see them on the street.

5. 17" Brembos

6. Heavy duty 6 speed tranny....SRT tranny is no comparison.

7. Various gadgets that enhance performance (i.e. Intercooler Spray)

8. Waranty - do anything other than a dealer installed power package and you can kiss your waranty good-bye.
1. dont need it.
2. dont need it, it still beats wrx's in rally cross.
3. sure you could.
4. stage III will be easily streetable. not much more torque then stock. 250>300.
5. sti has 17" brembos? can it go 60-0 in 119ft?
6. srt-4 tranny is better. gearing is also better. can the sti go 153? nope. AWD loses out on top end.
7. oil squirters on pistons for srt-4. aluminum block in sti is not good. iron block is more boost friendly.
8. same for sti. 6 speed has not been proven yet. they are having problems with their 5-speed. i would be wary of the 6-speed.

For all intents and purposes it is a factory race car, and there are people who plan on buying an STi stripping the interior and taking it racing right out of the box. They're just from two different leagues, it's like putting a high school football team up against an NFL team
not to mention, the srt-4 will have more torque stock then the sti. with stage I the srt-4 will have more hp and torque than the sti. for $10,000 less.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
1. Do you even know what a DCCD is or the benefits of one?

2. I have no idea where you got this one, SRT's were never rally crossed, they couldn't have been, they're not out yet!! There were 1 or 2 SRT's in ProRally but those cars are no where near their stock counterparts.

3. Again doubtful, you'd be hard pressed to find an aftermarket suspension that equals the level of the STi's. Then again I am sure everyone who will buy one of these will be more worried about going fast in a straight line as opposed to handling, so it's kind of a moot point.

4. How does anyone actually know that it is pure speculation!

5. Easily I would assume, again that is speculation on the STi's. But I would assume with better brakes that the SRT it should easily match the SRT.

6. It sounds like you know absoloutely nothing about the STi. I can assure you the tranny in the STi is better than the SRT in terms or reliability and powerhandling. BTW: the six speed that is in the STi has been in the JDM STi's for years, it is a totally different tranny from what's in the WRX, so in effect it has been proven.

7. Again, what do you know about the STi block?? Once again I'm guessing absoloutely nothing. It can handle boost quite safely. The STi block is a semi closed deck design with forged internals, it doesn't have to be iron, it already surpasses the strength levels of an iron block. Plus it has a bigger displacement and it's lighter than Dodge's iron block. Remember on a FWD car you need all the weight you can get on the front wheels, hence the iron block. You don't have that problem as much with AWD.

8. Again the six speed is a proven, bullet proof tranny. Plus your gonna have to do a hell of a lot of waranty killing modding to even approach STi levels.

Your last comment got me rolling. You have to be some 16 year old completely talking out of your ass. I could say a Lamborghini is faster than the SRT and you'd still find some point to argue me on. "Yeah, yeah well it doesn't have a turbo" :roll: Last time I checked the SRT was only pulling 250lbs of twist, the STi is running at least 300. You contradict yourself at the end besides the fact that you are just plain wrong. A Stage 1 is good for 230hp if I remember correctly, that won't get you anywhere near an STi, a Stage 3 might get you close though. But then again this entire discussion is assuming the SRT is heavily modded and the STi isn't. Try and pick on a modded STi, and game over. I know I came off as a raving lunatic about the WRX but the SRT and the STi, come on there is no comparison. You might as well compare a Z06 to a bone stock Neon. I don't expect this post to be taken too seriously though because the SRT is the holy grail of sports cars and nothing can beat it :roll: I do want to make the point clear though that the WRX and the STi are two completely different cars. Everything from the engine, to the tranny, to the seats, to the rear glass is completely different. Again if you don't believe anything I said you can read the specs from this site http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=297087

-5OH

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

1. dont need it.
2. dont need it, it still beats wrx's in rally cross.
3. sure you could.
4. stage III will be easily streetable. not much more torque then stock. 250>300.
5. sti has 17" brembos? can it go 60-0 in 119ft?
6. srt-4 tranny is better. gearing is also better. can the sti go 153? nope. AWD loses out on top end.
7. oil squirters on pistons for srt-4. aluminum block in sti is not good. iron block is more boost friendly.
8. same for sti. 6 speed has not been proven yet. they are having problems with their 5-speed. i would be wary of the 6-speed.

For all intents and purposes it is a factory race car, and there are people who plan on buying an STi stripping the interior and taking it racing right out of the box. They're just from two different leagues, it's like putting a high school football team up against an NFL team
not to mention, the srt-4 will have more torque stock then the sti. with stage I the srt-4 will have more hp and torque than the sti. for $10,000 less.
Vote for the most ignorant post ever
:roll:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I vote that we stop comparing automobiles that are remotely different. Subaru should be ashamed of themselves if the STI version of the WRX doesn't blow the pants off the stock SRT-4. The cost of the cars alone put them in two separate categories. The SRT-4, IMHO, is a better "value" of car than the STI (but then again, someone buying an STI will not be looking for a "value" buy.) The new Evo VII would seem to be a better comparison for the STI than the SRT-4 is. There are too many differences between the STI and SRT-4 to be comparing them logically.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
25 Participants
AWD OWNZ U
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing